PDA

View Full Version : boost leak?

Coqui
10-18-2012, 09:05 PM
EVO X with just aem intake with accessport ots map (target psi was 23 or so)only peaking 14.8psi. Now I am not sure if car was running at stock psi prior to intake install. Owner never connected AP to see, he bought it used and had little idea what to look for to see if car was previously modded. But once i popped hood there was many flags to me today. Many lines have zipties securing them in place. Some lines are cut and secured w plastic adapters like boost line...indication there was a gauge connected there. Suggested that he take somewhere for a full check n leak test.

I checked over the work on intake and it looked good..lines tightened down well..lines from inlet to solenoid are my only question.. does it matter which nipple each one goes to?

Owner says cars feels exact way it did before intake install just slight better throttle response.

Coqui
10-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Anything else we should check?

KT Motoring
10-18-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes vacuum lines are critical for controlling boost. It sounds like the vac lines are not connected properly. Bring it by and we can check the lines for you.

Coqui
10-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Thats issue..no shop around here..Vandenberg AFB..just to go to LA area its 2-3hrs. But he mentioned having to trip to find fix. Rough idea what it may cost him for him to get car looked at n fix if just few crossed/loose lines. Im gonna take a look at it again tomorrow.

nicklulu
10-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Goodluck looking for the leak

Mike W
10-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Lots of noobs get the boost hoses kinked when doing an AEM intake install. If the boost return hoses (from the solenoids back to the turbo inlet hose) are too long, they fold back over themselves. 14ish psi is wastegate pressure. If the hoses are kinked, the solenoids cant do their job.

Mike W

Coqui
10-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks Mike..we noticed that some of lines were too long..may try cutting them down see if that helps any tomorrow....btw for my last PM about my evo..picked up some hks264/272 cams..know not necessary for size but with 87k miles..should i just upgrade retainers/springs while ya in there?

Smashedevo
10-18-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm the owner of the X, but we did notice some were long and like he said we could cut them down. It pulls slightly more and definitely better throttle response. I'm going to retune using my ap and then start seeing the higher boost hopefully.

Mike W
10-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Here is one:

http://roadraceengineering.com/evox/tech/aem-boost_hose_kink.jpg

Makes for great before and after dyno tunes. Car comes in at barely 200 whp and goes out at 320 whp with an intake and a cat back :-)

Mike W

Coqui
10-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Damn!! Ok we will look again tomorrow.. ran two lines off inlet to where stock "Y" line was..two nipples closest to firewall..does it matter which one is one bottom/top?

nicklulu
10-18-2012, 09:55 PM
I dont think so.

I have an Injen intake and mine was peaking at 25.2 psi.

I loaded the LWG OTS map.

Mike is 25.2 psi too much for an intake and catback exhuast?

GokuSSJ4
10-18-2012, 10:37 PM
thats what happens when everyone tries to be your average joe.... unfortunate it does have it down sides to it.. I rather take it to the expert local shops than dealing with something i don't have time and effort to deal with..

icyshark
01-17-2013, 06:27 PM
I have a high pitch noise as soon as I turn on the car. The engine doesn't need to be on. I just need to turn the ignition to on. Somebody told me that this was a boost leak because I installed a BOV. Is this true? What are your thoughts?

Mike W
01-17-2013, 07:27 PM
My thoughts are mostly of how the boost would be leaking without the turbo spinning at all to make any boost.

If the car had an electric supercharger that started spinning as soon as your ignition key was turned on maybe... Does your EVO have an electric supercharger?

Mike W

icyshark
01-17-2013, 07:53 PM
My car is pretty much stock with a hks ssqv bov. The sound seems like it's the electronics. Thank you for your help by the way.

Mike W
01-18-2013, 04:15 PM
HKS does not make Mitsubishi parts. They think they do, but they don't. HKS was relevant to Mitsubishis back in the 1990s.

Mike W

jamesinger
01-19-2013, 04:39 PM
HKS does not make Mitsubishi parts. They think they do, but they don't. HKS was relevant to Mitsubishis back in the 1990s.

Mike W

I thought that was Greddy.