PDA

View Full Version : Disabling the seat belt chime

nechronius
11-08-2012, 01:52 PM
On my 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 two days after purchase I headed back to the dealer where I bought it and requested that the seat belt chime be disabled. After verifying what I was requesting the dealer happily plugged a hand held reader/reprogrammer into the OBDII port and disabled the chime within 20 minutes of pulling in. No fuss, no muss, no odd hacks like shorting wires or disabling switches.

On occasion my 20+ pound briefcase or backpack has caused various passenger side belt chimes to trigger. I would like to know if anybody has tried having the chime disabled by going to the dealer and requesting this disabling. On various auto forums here and there over the years I've read where people have done this successfully, and I can speak for myself that it can be done. Anybody else had a similar experience with their vehicle recently or is this practice a (rare) thing of the past?

I should state that I don't go anywhere without my seat belt on. The idea of driving without it even at low speeds seems insane except under very specific conditions (Driving my parked car from my driveway into the garage, for example). I think everybody should wear their belts with essentially no exceptions short of garage maneuvers or in your private driveway and I've never had a "lapse" in judgement. Frankly I consciously have to decide *not* to buckle up, even if I'm rolling the car back two feet inside my garage. (Ask me about gun safety, where you never count on a mechanical safety and a single brief lapse can have catastrophic results.)

Disabling the chime isn't for everybody. Some people need the reminder, or it gives them peace of mind. Me, I'd rather not have it on my personal vehicles.

evodriver49
11-08-2012, 02:00 PM
get a louder exhaust and 4 15" subwoofers with a 8000watt amplifier so you wont hear it.

nechronius
11-08-2012, 02:38 PM
get a louder exhaust and 4 15" subwoofers with a 8000watt amplifier so you wont hear it.

Hah! Ok, point taken. It's not THAT horrible to put up with. I'll just deal with it. Bouncing the needle off the rev limiter drowns out the chime too in any case, as does the sound of police sirens behind you when they see you performing the said rev limiter bounce trick.

evolved13
11-08-2012, 04:53 PM
You know, I recently had fun with the rev limiter---is there any problem with doing this? That's why it is there, right?

deprydation
01-23-2013, 04:19 PM
The only way I know of is clipping or removing the little wires from the seatbelt assembly.

nechronius
01-23-2013, 07:20 PM
The question was whether it could be easily defeated using a "proper" method, like how the Mazda dealer happily disabled the chime on my Speed 6. Other methods seem crude or somewhat "cheap." It just seemed that if one modern car can have it done, why not another. But whatever, not really that big of a deal. It just would have been nice if possible.

M4Lki3r
01-24-2013, 10:07 AM
There are two types of seat belt sensors NO (Normally Open) and NC (Normally Closed). Find the connector and ground it to the chasis. If the chime goes off set up a more permanent solution (vampire tap and a bolt for example). If this doesn't work than the system works on a NC switch, meaning if you cut either wire you open the loop and the chime should go off. If you wanted (with either of these systems) you could put in a switch so you could turn on and off the chime manually. Not very technically involved or anything here.

HMatt
01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Call south coast or hb mitsu. If there is a way, they will tell you how.

ufcgsp27
04-08-2013, 08:54 PM
gotta look into this