PDA

View Full Version : Evo without ACD

vicariousthrill
12-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Well i was just wondering if a Evo without acd but adding a lsd to the front will be closer to the performance of a ACD Evo? I know for sure it wont compare but i was curious to hear from people that have upgraded to LSD. Thanks

kanyonkid
12-04-2012, 12:30 AM
The acd in the evo just delays power to the rear. Upgrading the lsd up front will benefit both acd and non acd evos.

vicariousthrill
12-04-2012, 01:14 AM
thanks for the info.

HMatt
12-04-2012, 05:42 AM
The acd in the evo just delays power to the rear. Upgrading the lsd up front will benefit both acd and non acd evos.

ACD cars (05+) come with a front lsd already, so adding a front lsd to a car with an ACD is kinda impossible, and upgrading it will show little improvement - if any.

Technically speaking, the center lsd in the 03-04 models delays power to the rear as well. It's full of goo. Goo gets hot due to slipping friction material, goo expands. Goo expanding puts pressure on discs/friction material which causes the diff to lock up. The ACD uses a pump to make the pressure, meaning it doesn't have to wait for the heat to lock up. If programmed correctly, the ACD cars can lock up SOONER, and unlock as the driver pleases (via programming). ACD = greater control of lockup = greater control of handling/grip. Why do you think all the fast time attack cars are running stock ACDs?

Now is it enough of a difference for an occasional track car and mainly street car to put an ACD in? Nope, not worth the time and effort. It's better to install that front lsd and invest the rest of the money into the suspension setup.

FUEL
12-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Depends how you drive, what you prefer and the rest of your suspension set up.
I personally HATE driving ACD cars ...I prefer non ACD since that's what I learned on ...I don't like the sensation of the car driving for me...my brain hands and feet just don't compute :buck2:

However since I'm guessing by your post your car is a non ACD car...maybe mess with the suspension some you may actually like having the car with no diff in the front ...if not RRE carries the Wavetrac which supposedly mimics ACD the way it changes turn in.

As HMatt stated 2005+ cars came with a diff also the 2004 RS ... If you happen to get your hands on an RS front diff you can "upgrade" it by sending it off to TRE...they do some magic stuff to it which they claim makes it pretty indestructible

HMatt
12-04-2012, 08:07 AM
As Matt H stated 2005+ cars came with a diff also the 2004 RS ... If you happen to get your hands on an RS front diff you can "upgrade" it by sending it off to TRE...they do some magic stuff to it which they claim makes it pretty indestructible

Dyslexic

vicariousthrill
12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Thank you to everyone with providing there feedback. i've gotten a better understanding about how acd works. I will be looking into upgrade more suspension parts and then decided if i still want a Front Lsd Installed. I agree that i dont like the feeling of the computer helping with the control of the car. but to each their own.

HMatt
12-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Sounds like you have a good idea there. Personally, I would just wait to do the LSD if/when you get the transmission built.

M4Lki3r
12-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Yea don't worry about putting in an LSD unless you already have the transmission apart for a rebuild. Not worth the hassel at all.

Something else to look into is rebuilding your rear diff. Mitsu intentionally built them wrong in order to make less noise and less oversteer. Rebuilding it correctly can give you a little more oversteer, but it will add some noise to the back of the car (if your exhaust doesn't drown it out). Someone on EvoM has put up the tech manual for it I think. It's on my list of things to do.

HMatt
12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
^That is a good idea. If your disks aren't chewed-up, the mod doesn't cost you anything but time and some fluids. It's on my list too, I'm just trying to source an upgraded kit with new disks from tre or anyone really. Everybody seems to be reluctant to give out parts, but all are willing to sell you a ready made diff.

fyi, the stock discs/plates are available new from mitsu.

FUEL
12-04-2012, 03:27 PM
RRE can install the LSD with minimal fuss ....they've done many of them ...not quite sure on the price but I don't believe it's too expensive.

FUEL
12-04-2012, 03:28 PM
As HMatt stated 2005+ cars came with a diff also the 2004 RS ... If you happen to get your hands on an RS front diff you can "upgrade" it by sending it off to TRE...they do some magic stuff to it which they claim makes it pretty indestructible

Dyslexic

Fixed 😄

M4Lki3r
12-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm saving up a bit to do mine so I can drop in the 2 piece, lightweight driveshaft in at the same time. $1200 is a hit to the wallet. Thinking about the rear diff mounts as well. Why? Cuz...Racecar.

FUEL
12-04-2012, 05:25 PM
^^^ no other reason...seems like a great idea!

vicariousthrill
12-04-2012, 11:55 PM
again thanks for all the information regarding acd.