PDA

View Full Version : Brake service question

EvoXSwimmer
01-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Hey guys
I need to get my brakes serviced soon and was wondering if it would be okay if I went to Firestone instead of a mitsu dealer

Thanks

A U R
01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Try an evo specialized shop. Maybe something like RRE. Or whatever's closest to you. There are some pretty reputable shops / vendors on these forums and they usually have great deals / services.

EvoXSwimmer
01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Oh okay so it's not recommended to go to Firestone? Because my parents cars have been services there but I wasn't sure if evos need anything special

A U R
01-20-2013, 11:37 AM
No, by all means go to FireStone if you desire, I'm just saying it might be better to have people who specialize in Evos do it. For example many shops don't even know how to do the Transmission service for the MR correctly. Some shops just work on Evos a lot more.

EvoXSwimmer
01-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Ohhh okay I get what you're saying thanks for the help!

evolved13
01-20-2013, 11:58 AM
let me give you a true story of my experience with Firestone-before I learned my lesson. The exact shop was on Beach blvd n/of HB Mitsubishi, south of Bolsa. I had had my MR springs changed from the stock Eibach to Swifts a week before. I let them "settle in" and needed to get an alignment. This was about 2 years ago. I was in the area and left off my car at Firestone for said alignment. When I went back a little over an hour later, the tech said I needed some replacement bushings as there was a problem. I went to Darren at HB Mitsu, he said to take the car over to SCM and have them look at it right way. I drove over there and Rigo found they had totally F*cked up my subframe crossmember......long story short, 11 hours labor +$700 crossmember+alignment. Lesson learned. No, I didn't sue them, I was the F*ck head that took it there (Firestone).

Tarmac Meister
01-20-2013, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't take an Evo to a Firestone location for service. If I can't do something myself I take the car to RRE. But if you are to far away then have a look for a comparable Evo shop nearer to you.

-Alex.

EvoXSwimmer
01-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Evolved thanks for sharing that experience sucks though...

And Tarmac I talked to my dad and he said he wouldn't have thought of going to Firestone for the evo anyways haha...

Chento13
01-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Where are you located?

Speed[Y]
01-20-2013, 09:57 PM
are you just changing the brake pads? if so you can do them yourself, don't know much about the X but its real easy (if the X is as easy as the IX) lol

shadowman88523
01-20-2013, 10:05 PM
brakes are easy to do on your own check the forum for a dyi if not i know massimo power can do them :)

evolved13
01-20-2013, 10:46 PM
brakes are easy to do on your own check the forum for a dyi if not i know massimo power can do them :)

You know, one cool thing about Mauricio is you get a "race-track prepped" look at your car's undercarriage, exhaust, suspension and brake systems anytime his guys work on your car. These guys can build a car from scratch and can certainly spot worn or suspect components better than the typical "spirited driver" on this forum, including myself , of course.

EvoXSwimmer
01-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Honestly I don't know what I need to do :-\ a few weeks ago the brake service light came on for a few seconds then disappeared and never showed up again. But then these last couple days sometimes when I brake it makes a noise so I'm not sure if I still need to do anything about it since the light hasn't come up again

Boostingallday
01-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Honestly I don't know what I need to do :-\ a few weeks ago the brake service light came on for a few seconds then disappeared and never showed up again. But then these last couple days sometimes when I brake it makes a noise so I'm not sure if I still need to do anything about it since the light hasn't come up again

You probably just need new pads. Take your car to a specialized shop and they will tell what you need.

A U R
01-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Like squeaking? The brembo's are notorious for squeaking on stock brake pads.

EvoXSwimmer
01-21-2013, 05:00 PM

You probably just need new pads. Take your car to a specialized shop and they will tell what you need.

Yeah I'll look into that and will change them if the pads are low

Like squeaking?Â* The brembo's are notorious for squeaking on stock brake pads.

Yeah like squeaking/screeching(?) when I brake.Â* Maybe it's brake pads running low?

A U R
01-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Could be, but many people have over 60% pad left and it starts screeching. Mines are screeching too. Look into low noise and low dust brake pads. I'm not sure which specific kind, but if you google evo x brake pad something should come up.

EvoXSwimmer
01-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Well I was paying close attention to whether the screeching noise was there and all day and even after school no screeching (even with a hard brake when light turned from yellow to red :-P).

So I thought everything was okay but just now after practice halfway back home the brake service light comes on again and the screeching is back... So maybe it is time to get them checked out?

Mike W
01-23-2013, 12:38 AM
The pads have a little thingy on them that makes noise when the pads wear down to where the thingy starts dragging on the rotor.

Also as your brake pads wear down, the pistons in the calipers are pushing out further and further. There is more brake fluid behind the 8 front brake pistons and less brake fluid in the reservoir up on the firewall. There is a little float gizmo in the reservoir that connects a circuit that turns on all kind of nasty warning lights when the fluid is low. It will first come on with a hard stop or hard corner.

When you put new pads back in, and push the pistons back into the caliper, the fluid goes back into the reservoir, the light stays off. If you top up the fluid without changing the pads, when you do go to change the pads the excess fluid spills all over everywhere :-P

Mike W