PDA

View Full Version : Burning smell

A U R
03-01-2013, 08:06 PM
After brake pads were installed by RRE and a staff said they were broken in / bedded, when I got in my car to leave, I noticed a burning smell. Is this normal? It lingered for quite a bit and still maybe there.

I'm usually just being a paranoid parrot, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Any insight on this? Thank you! :smitten:

evobros
03-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Brake smell or clutch smell stays in the car for a while. Normal!

Mike W
03-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Bedding in the brakes involves getting them hot. Kind of a final baking process. It helps transfer the pad material to the rotors evenly. The smell went away, right?

Mike W

A U R
03-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Yes sir, the smell went away. Thank you for clearing that up. Me being a paranoid parrot as usual, haha.

nechronius
03-02-2013, 01:13 AM
Always expect various odors to intrude upon the passenger cabin for a while after getting parts installed or replaced. After getting getting my car tuned by RRE with intake and a stealth exhaust, the car smelled of pure awesome being broken in for a few hours after that evening.

So yes. Burning smell? Totally normal. Burning sensation? Free clinic's down the street.

A U R
03-02-2013, 01:30 AM
So yes. Burning smell? Totally normal. Burning sensation? Free clinic's down the street.

That joke just made my day, ahaha!

GokuSSJ4
03-02-2013, 11:19 AM
what ever happen to txt, calling the shop or pigeon mail???

A U R
03-02-2013, 02:19 PM
I apologize Majin, thought a thread was a viable way of contacting, I'll call next time. Pigeon mail.. hmm.... lol xD

Mike W
03-02-2013, 05:45 PM
He got his first answer in 10 minutes that it was nothing. I didn't stumble across it for two hours. But I am on e-mail the most. I happened to notice it looking for tech questions to answer. Didn't notice first that it was in the RRE forum directed at me. It just looked like an interesting question.

Mike W

jamesinger
03-03-2013, 12:10 AM
just for some useful information beyond the usual banter... a lot of times whether you do fluid changes yourself, or have them done by even the most anal mechanic on earth, stuff will end up on your DP and cyl. head and even on your brakes...

If your brakes were changed at RRE, the normal procedure I have seen is to change the pads and after they clean your brakes with brake cleaner before bedding in. As a result, if you only had your pads changed, then you might have smelled the remnants of brake cleaner after a bit of bedding in on your ride home.

Last, if you had fluids changed beyond the pads being changed, then you will smell a bit of a mash up even if you wipe any drips or drops that got on the hot bits before or after for the ride home. If the burning smells persist, then it is time to use Mike W's number on your panic/speed dial.

evobeaner
03-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Wait till you hit the track. Smells galore

jamesinger
03-03-2013, 03:31 PM
that is where your real OCD can come out...check, check, check...drive...check, check, check...