PDA

View Full Version : Moving slightly forward in Park ( SST )

A U R
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
As said in topic, is it normal to move slightly forward when in park?Â* Parking brake is down.Â* It doesn't lunge forward or anything, it moves like it's in drive when I let go of the brake, then halts from being in Park.

I thought when in Park, all power is disengaged to the wheels? As if the clutch is engaged ( not that this is a manual or anything ). Just curious, that's all.

Also, should I be using the e-brake when on perfectly flat ground?Â* I've been told it puts strain on the transmission?Â* I've also been told e-brake isn't necessary at all on flat ground.

Mike W
03-14-2013, 04:45 PM
The car can not move when it is in park. If the car travels when in park, as in it goes through the parking lot going places, the car is broken. If in park it kind of wants to go somewhere but does not actually move... just kinda wiggles a little but the wheels do not rotate then that can be normal.

Putting the car in Park locks the transmission. The car can not move because the transmission is locked. Any force trying to move the car (hill, a UPS truck backing into it, a light breeze) is therefore taken up by the transmission. That would put any stresses holding the car from moving on the transmission. If a guy wanted to lessen any stresses on the transmission from it holding the car, he'd put the parking brake on to help hold the car.

Mike W

boostinbyyou
03-14-2013, 08:56 PM
The car will have a normal few inches of rolling when u put it in park on a slight decline. Then it will lock. Use the hand break before you release the foot break and it will stay in place without the few inches of rolling. I have found this to be normal in every automatic trans before it actually locks. If we are talking about the same thing.

deprydation
03-15-2013, 04:24 PM
My Ralliart rolls a little depending on incline/decline.

I still use the Parking brake/E-brake on this car just like I did with any other Manual transmission car. Force of habit? Who knows, I just don't like the weight of the car resting on the transmission.