PDA

View Full Version : Pictures would be nice!

Mister
04-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Why didn't any pictures get transferred? I would like to think that if the entire site did an upgrade, wouldn't it be pretty important to transfer ALL of the content from the previous site? Pictures are pretty important on the interwebs.

So what happens to all of the previous picture threads? Are we all S.O.L?

I surely hope
vBulletin® (https://www.vbulletin.com/) software is good enough to transfer photos as well as text. If not, that is pathetic for 2013 technology.

chinoxmk22
04-02-2013, 05:31 PM
http://t.qkme.me/3p692i.jpg

R-EVOLUTION
04-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Preach On Brother Preach On

And

Amen!!

hardcoreracing
04-02-2013, 07:02 PM
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Coolguy949
04-02-2013, 09:07 PM
Which pictures are you talking about? Within a post in a thread?

ufcgsp27
04-02-2013, 09:19 PM
great pic^^^ lol

kambodianboi
04-03-2013, 01:44 AM

He was referring to picture attachments from the old SCE.

HMatt
04-03-2013, 05:07 AM

Yes. Like when you use the attachment button on the thread instead of inserting a photobucket link or something.

hardcoreracing
04-03-2013, 07:26 AM
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Why must every reply contain 10 characters?

chinoxmk22
04-03-2013, 07:33 AM
Yes. Like when you use the attachment button on the thread instead of inserting a photobucket link or something.
gordo always attached pics instead of links

Macky
04-03-2013, 07:42 AM
Why must every reply contain 10 characters?

to prevent spamming threads with useless posts. back then, lots of users went to insane post counts then when the admins made a change to what counted as posts, a lot got sent back to Canyon Racer status.

chinoxmk22
04-03-2013, 07:49 AM
to prevent spamming threads with useless posts. back then, lots of users went to insane post counts then when the admins made a change to what counted as posts, a lot got sent back to Canyon Racer status.
My posts have always been 75 characters or more. Mainly pics lol

Macky
04-03-2013, 08:13 AM
My posts have always been 75 characters or more. Mainly pics lol

hahaha. you weren't here when post counts in the Off Topic were counted. then when they were taken off count, lots of people came crashing down. I think just about everyone in the OG Orange County crew went back to n00b status!

HMatt
04-03-2013, 08:52 AM
gordo always attached pics instead of links

Which I always liked because I can see them at work.

Mister
04-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Yes, for instance. In this thread....on the 1st page, there used to be 20+ pictures....now there is nothing. The whole thread is loaded with photos, and now nothing.
http://www.socalevo.net/threads/177339-WTF-were-they-thinking

drmosh
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
just as with PM's... the importer had problems with attachments because of the sheer numbers but I'm sure you post whores will more than make up for it...

chinoxmk22
04-03-2013, 05:57 PM
hahaha. you weren't here when post counts in the Off Topic were counted. then when they were taken off count, lots of people came crashing down. I think just about everyone in the OG Orange County crew went back to n00b status!
lol oh shit I just seen your join date

just as with PM's... the importer had problems with attachments because of the sheer numbers but I'm sure you post whores will more than make up for it...
I'm on it boss

Mister
04-08-2013, 04:37 PM

OK, so all of the DIY threads that show pictures on how to install items are all gone? All gone forever?
Meaning..... in 2 years if someone on the interwebs wants to learn how to nose chop their 8 bumper, and they find the thread on here with no pictures.....what is the point of a message forum? Will it just state "Vbulletin says FUK YOU!"

?? Help me understand the logic of this site UPGRADE please......

Chento13
04-08-2013, 09:40 PM
http://t.qkme.me/3p692i.jpg

^^LMAO Pinche Chino

GokuSSJ4
04-09-2013, 08:21 AM
The old gallery couldn't be transfer to vbulletin.
N yes Gordon this is a huge change, some for the better, some for improvement and time to start certain projects all over again.
Imo I see as a great opportunity. To revamp the "how to" or "DIY" area.
We'll start to clean up some old thread that have 0 value. In order to add current and useful information once again.
I would love to designate a mod to take over that project, since its time consuming but the community can defenetely benefit from it.
We do apologize for the inconvenient this creates but we see it also as a great opportunity.

Coolguy949
04-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Just to clarify, the old gallery was transferred but only the file structure as to not break 10 years worth of posts. What didn't transfer over are the attachments that were within a post. While a lot of the conversion we did was manual, some of the functions were part of the SMF-to-VB converter tool we used. Unfortunately the tool doesn't transfer attachments over.

At this point we're just happy to be off SMF (which is barely supported anymore) and on to VB, which opens up a lot more possibilities for the website. Tech articles can now live in the content area of the site AND in the forum, helping users more easily discover great write-ups. We're happy with where VB can help take the site. It's a supported product that is pretty much the industry standard. Some sacrifices needed to be made for us to move forward.

GokuSSJ4
04-11-2013, 07:46 PM
It isn't as bad as some might think.