PDA

View Full Version : Double spaced text messed up after import

nechronius
04-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Not sure if anything can be done about this, and I'm sure others have noticed it, but I figured I may as well make sure it gets noted.

Any previous posts with double spaced lines have extra characters inserted into them. I don't know if anything can be done about it, but it's worth noting. For example, in the thread below, when you look at the text containing the RRE "recipe" for more power you will see a ton of "Â*" in place of any extra spaces. That's why sentences that have been properly double spaced have those characters. That's why any lines that have a bunch of spaces in between them have a bunch of those extra characters in them. "Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*"

http://www.socalevo.net/threads/223947-2013-MR-tuned-at-RRE

Basically any imported text with instances of "Â*" should be replaced with a simple " " (space).

kambodianboi
04-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Yup, it's an encoding bug that probably occur during the migration. But it's not as easy to fix it as you think. To scan the database and replace those Â* with " " spaces can take hours and even cause more bugs in the process. With almost 2 million posts to go through.

Mike W
04-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Look at it not as a bug but as a feature ! Other message boards will be copying it soon.

Mike W

evodriver49
04-02-2013, 11:18 PM
also its annoying that when you google something evo related and a SCE thread comes up, and you click it, it just directs to the homepage of SCE :(

kambodianboi
04-02-2013, 11:21 PM
also its annoying that when you google something evo related and a SCE thread comes up, and you click it, it just directs to the homepage of SCE :(

Cause of the recent migration, all the URL are now SEO and google doesn't have it crawled yet.

nechronius
04-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Well in "theory" it would be an easy fix as that particular text string combination isn't exactly a common one. But yea, I'm well aware that the reality of such an undertaking could prove to be catastrophic to the board contents. My own experiences with similar migrations has left me with vast unpaid therapy bills, and those migrations weren't on the scale that this board's must have been.