PDA

View Full Version : i Cant pick up speed

Ghost
04-08-2013, 05:08 PM
about a month ago my evo started acting a lil funny at first i thought my clutch might be going out now i think its bigger problem then that....
when ever i push on the gas i can not get any speed for a good 3-4 secs no matter high my rpms go. essssssppppp in first gear. once i hit fourth its not that bad.

i was suggested it was a clutch issue, i recently got told it might be a tranny issue that i should change the tranny fluid. is there anything else it could be or have any of you experienced this before?

Massimo Power
04-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Its the clutch.

evoX600RR
04-08-2013, 05:25 PM
^^^i agree, u need a new clutch

Mike W
04-08-2013, 07:02 PM
If engine speeds up and car does not, then the engine is not being connected to the wheels. That part is easy.

When it is the clutch slipping, once you exceed the limited torque capacity of the clutch's holding power, it will slip. Usually this happens first around the torque peak of the powerband. It will slowly get worse. It also happens more at first in higher gears. When you are in a lower gear, the transmission is multiplying the torque more to the wheels. Think of if you had limited power to pedal a 10 speed bike before the pedals came off. You could get some decent acceleration in first gear before the pedals fell off. It is easy to get going. But in 10th gear if you stood on the pedals the bike would hardly move. The pedals would break right off. Same with a car. If slipping more in higher gears and when boost comes on, that is a dead clutch. Tachometer goes up, speedometer does not, clutch. Typically you would also smell a burning clutch smell. Smells like cooked brakes. Stinky stuff.

Now with that said, if your car drives like it has an automatic transmission with a torque converter, then that is something else. If in any gear and particularly lower gears, the motor revs up and the car gets going slow, then kind of catches better at higher RPM that is not clutch. If a drivetrain part is broken, the various limites slip differentials will be trying to clamp down and hold onto that spinning axle or driveshaft. At first it gets overwhelmed and it spins. Then it gets its grip on and can better hang on. This shows its self more in first gear with the car starting off like an auto tranny car. There will be no burning clutch smell. Once you are in a higher gear and not trying to accelerate as much the LSD that is doing the work gets a better grip on things. Viscous couplers particularly need slip first to get the viscous fluid locked up and do its thing.

To better troubleshoot that, get the car up in the air with all four wheels spinning and see which ones are connected and which ones not. Been launching lately? A busted up front differential will do strange things like this.

Mike W

gaijindrift
05-06-2013, 08:19 PM
is it sputtering when you give it gas at first?

misterevo8
05-07-2013, 11:41 AM
OP, did you figure it out yet?