PDA

View Full Version : Tire rotation help

starjammer
04-15-2013, 09:43 PM
Can someone tell me with certainty if the stock advan A13 tires can be rotated cross wise ?( front driver to rear passenger etc.) i looked for an old thread but couldn't find anything

04-15-2013, 09:47 PM
front to rear yes , left to right no

BabyEvo69
04-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Are you fking serious?!?!?!

Just take all the wheels off your car and drive like that, it's perfectly fine.

Eevee's_SN
04-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Uh oh, it looks like babyevo is back to his old ways!

BabyEvo69
04-16-2013, 02:16 AM
Uh oh, it looks like babyevo is back to his old ways!

Nu uh! :D

Haaaaiz Eveeee!

evoX600RR
04-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Lol front to rear ONLY!!!... By the way ur owners manual tells u a big deal about ur X, it's a good way to learn more about ur Evo

EvoIX007
04-16-2013, 07:29 AM
Noobs...:hand:

HMatt
04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Stock tires, front to rear since they are directional.

Some aftermarket tires aren't directional and can be cross-rotated... I still don't see the point in it though... Front to rear works just as good.

nechronius
04-17-2013, 10:02 AM
The stock Yokohama A13c is NOT DIRECTIONAL. Rotating side to side (cross-wise) is just fine if that's what you want to do. Directional tires have a mark specifically indicating direction of rotation in the form of an arrow on the sidewall.

The tire IS however ASYMMETRICAL which means when the tire is mounted on the wheel you have to mind the "OUTSIDE" tire designation. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is also a great example of an asymmetrical tire.

The Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 is directional, but not asymmetrical. That means you can have the tire dismounted and then flipped so that you can continue using the tire for longer life. I did this before with my set to extend their life for track use on my Speed 6.

A few tires are asymmetrical AND directional. I can't think of any really recent tire off the top of my head but the older Goodyear GS-C series rubber that was standard on some Corvettes of their era were this kind (C4 era I think). Those Corvettes were doubly screwed because their tires were a staggered fitment (different sizes front and back), so no tire rotation was possible on those cars, you couldn't even flip(remount) the tires.

So again, the Yokohama A13c can be rotated in any manner you see fit. Honestly though they have such poor tire life it almost seems like a futile exercise to do so. Rotating front to back is probably as much trouble as you need to go through but you can cross them if you like.

Oh yes, certain directional tires are designed to be used going the wrong direction, but you lose some of their wet weather traction. I can't think of what brand of tire allowed this. Better just stick to reading the arrow.

HMatt
04-17-2013, 10:06 AM
The stock Yokohama A13c is NOT DIRECTIONAL. Rotating side to side (cross-wise) is just fine if that's what you want to do. Directional tires have a mark specifically indicating direction of rotation in the form of an arrow on the sidewall.

The tire IS however ASYMMETRICAL which means when the tire is mounted on the wheel you have to mind the "OUTSIDE" tire designation. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is also a great example of an asymmetrical tire.

The Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 is directional, but not asymmetrical. That means you can have the tire dismounted and then flipped so that you can continue using the tire for longer life. I did this before with my set to extend their life for track use on my Speed 6.

A few tires are asymmetrical AND directional. I can't think of any really recent tire off the top of my head but the older Goodyear GS-C series rubber that was standard on some Corvettes of their era were this kind (C4 era I think). Those Corvettes were doubly screwed because their tires were a staggered fitment (different sizes front and back), so no tire rotation was possible on those cars, you couldn't even flip(remount) the tires.

So again, the Yokohama A13c can be rotated in any manner you see fit. Honestly though they have such poor tire life it almost seems like a futile exercise to do so. Rotating front to back is probably as much trouble as you need to go through but you can cross them if you like.

Oh yes, certain directional tires are designed to be used going the wrong direction, but you lose some of their wet weather traction. I can't think of what brand of tire allowed this. Better just stick to reading the arrow.

I stand corrected. I thought the stockies were directional. My bad.

nechronius
04-17-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off sounding preachy. Just want to make sure good correct information is out there and I'm kind of a tire fanatic. :)

Which reminds me, I think the regular C4 Corvettes and their GS-C's could be rotated front to back. Not all of them had the staggered fitment, but I think it was the C4 ZR-1s that had the "one corner, one unique tire" problem.

It's probably why tires that are directional AND asymmetrical tend to be somewhat rare for passenger cars. Limited rotation options.

Directional tires will actually have an arrow and say something like "Direction of Rotation" or something to that effect.

Asymmetrical tires will say "Outside" on the outside sidewall. I don't know if the inside sidewall says "Inside" but I imagine that they would.

HMatt
04-17-2013, 10:56 AM
^I'm not mad homie. I was just admitting my mistake.

My Bridgestone re760's are asymmetrical, and they say "inside" and "outside" on them. I still don't get the point of the cross-rotation thing though. I've never done it no matter what the car, and neither has the vast majority of mechanics I know. The mechanics that have done it all say the only reason they did it was either because the customer requested it or it was the dealership's policy.

chinoxmk22
04-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Damn HMatt, you got school... I used to look up to you http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/frown_color.gif

Macky
04-17-2013, 11:26 AM
good info to know.

HMatt
04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Damn HMatt, you got school... I used to look up to you http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/frown_color.gif

I know, right? I must be loosing my touch.

starjammer
04-19-2013, 09:42 PM
This is exactly why I was asking this question. Not cuz I'm a noob or because I didn't read my owners manual. Just wanted a consensus. There are many ideas out there that people don't question because they overheard it on another forum or from a neighbor 15 years ago when they were kids. No need to reply like a prick babyevo or evoix007. But all in good fun right!