PDA

View Full Version : DIY aluminum rear crash beam for JDM bumper

artinist
04-29-2013, 10:57 AM
I have a background with a Mitsubishi Starion where we had to transplant parts from other cars into ours, so this one ranks as a quick outpatient surgery.

I have seen the modified stock crash beam but its 2013. when a freaking 98 Honda accord even had lightweight composite crash beams, I was not about put the oem steel junk back on the car and I didn't like the aftermarket bars, especially when it cost more than the JDM style bumper I just got, so here is another option:

$20 rear crash beam from a pick-a-part junkyard from a SC lexus. I think the front crash beam was identical too. Volvos and Saabs have plenty of choices in case you want to go with a different design. even the antique saab 900 came with aluminum beams

I cut the ends to make a flat section out of it. this thing is made of real strong alloy and the sawsall had a tough time cutting. had to use the grinder. used up two 4" grinding disks.

the three outer holes were from the original lexus mounting points. I made one just like it in the correct location.

not sure how much the stock one weights but this one is only 7 lbs.

next project is to get rid of the boat anchor up front. I took a quick look at the accord crash beam and it actually looks like a good candidate.

HMatt
04-29-2013, 11:23 AM
That's a pretty good idea. With the extra rib on the inside, it's probably just as strong as the stock steel.

What year model was the Lexus?

fimotorsports
04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
nice job ;)

artinist
04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
That's a pretty good idea. With the extra rib on the inside, it's probably just as strong as the stock steel.

What year model was the Lexus? not sure about the year, maybe 1996 SC300/400

HMatt
04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Looks like I'll be going to the junkyard soon.

joseph146
08-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Nice find! Too bad i already modified my oem crash beam

CRONZ305
06-16-2016, 08:51 PM
still dont have one and regret getting rid of my oem one, i work with a bunch of welders that BS half the time so your idea is inspiring i could prob pay them in beer to lolz.