PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Stuck. need some help please!!

zambam6
06-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Clutch pedal went all the way down when shifting into 3rd. Pedal was pulled back up by hand. Now the pedal is stiff and wont let me put into any gear. Im beyond terrified its something drastic. :cower: Any help would greatly be appreciated. thanks..

kambodianboi
06-24-2013, 12:38 AM
TOB gone bad I guess...

TOB = Throw out bearing

HMatt
06-24-2013, 05:50 AM
Yep. Sounds like it. You might as well put in a new clutch while you are in there.

Sometimes the clutch master cylinder will go bad and the pedal will go all the way to the floor. BUT, once you pull it back up it'll still operate ok, so I don't believe that's your problem.

EvoIX007
06-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Check under the hood, on the driver's side above the transmission you should see this...
http://rawevo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Magnus-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-Evo-x-install-23.jpg

Do you see any fluid around it or directly underneath? If so, your cylinder simply went out and needs replacement.

HMatt
06-24-2013, 08:00 AM
^But he says the pedal is stiff. If it was leaking, the pedal would be really easy to press or at least depress normally.

kambodianboi
06-24-2013, 08:46 AM
^But he says the pedal is stiff. If it was leaking, the pedal would be really easy to press or at least depress normally.

+1 if there is a problem with the clutch hydraulic system, the pedal would remain on the floor or just freely movable.

fimotorsports
06-24-2013, 10:26 AM
happened to me on the stock clutch, and on my Exedy Triple a few times at the track. Had to drive my Evo back from Ohio to Chicago with no clutch in traffic. Luckily I know how to rev match and shift with no clutch ;) If I came to a stop, had to turn off the car, put in 1st gear and start the car in gear, pump the gas pedal to get it going. Found out I popped the collar snap ring off the clutch cover after pulling the trans off. May want to try this out. http://www.maperformance.com/act-monoloc-one-piece-collar-pull-type-clutches-884006p.html??utm_source=google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=COO7q7GZ_bcCFeU5QgodEGIAAw

HMatt
06-24-2013, 11:31 AM
^Yep... Ordering one of those today. I have the clutch and everything ready to go in and I didn't even know these things existed. Now I do, and dammit I'm putting this fucker in.

zambam6
06-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Check under the hood, on the driver's side above the transmission you should see this...
http://rawevo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Magnus-Clutch-Master-Cylinder-Evo-x-install-23.jpg

Do you see any fluid around it or directly underneath? If so, your cylinder simply went out and needs replacement.

i checked that cylinder today, and it had no leaks. my master cylinder is maxed out and the pedal moves a little now, but stops soon and remains stiff.

zambam6
06-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Yep. Sounds like it. You might as well put in a new clutch while you are in there.

Sometimes the clutch master cylinder will go bad and the pedal will go all the way to the floor. BUT, once you pull it back up it'll still operate ok, so I don't believe that's your problem.

TOB gone bad I guess...

TOB = Throw out bearing

seems like it is the TOB. cant even put the car in any gear.

zambam6
06-24-2013, 01:07 PM
happened to me on the stock clutch, and on my Exedy Triple a few times at the track. Had to drive my Evo back from Ohio to Chicago with no clutch in traffic. Luckily I know how to rev match and shift with no clutch ;) If I came to a stop, had to turn off the car, put in 1st gear and start the car in gear, pump the gas pedal to get it going. Found out I popped the collar snap ring off the clutch cover after pulling the trans off. May want to try this out. http://www.maperformance.com/act-monoloc-one-piece-collar-pull-type-clutches-884006p.html??utm_source=google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=COO7q7GZ_bcCFeU5QgodEGIAAw
the car wont even go in gear because the clutch wont budge. could it still be possible the collar snapped?

fimotorsports
06-24-2013, 02:22 PM
the car wont even go in gear because the clutch wont budge. could it still be possible the collar snapped?

try unbolting the clutch slave cylinder, and see if you can move the throw out bearing fork.

zambam6
06-25-2013, 04:00 PM
try unbolting the clutch slave cylinder, and see if you can move the throw out bearing fork.
i removed the slave cylinder and the throw out bearing fork was resting on the wrong side. or atleast i think it was. i took off the rubber plug under the clutch assembly and looked inside, it seems that the throw out bearing was popped open.

zambam6
06-25-2013, 04:02 PM
http://f1258.mail.vip.ne1.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f2%5f312%5fACxYimIAAAeDUcj zxwAAAEXaUTk&pid=2.2&fid=Sent&inline=1
this is what i saw under my car. im not sure if i need to replace it (TOB) or if its something else.

Mike W
06-25-2013, 04:29 PM
The bearing popped out of the pressure plate. It is a common problem with the Exedy design that Mitsubishi and Subaru used. The transmission needs to come out to fix it. A new clutch might be a good idea when it is all apart. You will know more when it is all apart. ACT has a redesigned clip that should fix it that just got released last week.

Mike W

zambam6
06-25-2013, 10:46 PM
The bearing popped out of the pressure plate. It is a common problem with the Exedy design that Mitsubishi and Subaru used. The transmission needs to come out to fix it. A new clutch might be a good idea when it is all apart. You will know more when it is all apart. ACT has a redesigned clip that should fix it that just got released last week.

Mike W
i just had a clutch job done with you guys (RRE) in april of 2012. can i just have the bearing replaced?

kambodianboi
06-25-2013, 10:55 PM
i just had a clutch job done with you guys (RRE) in april of 2012. can i just have the bearing replaced?

haha, its not that simple. The labor is pretty much the same as getting a new clutch, if you just want to get the TOB/Monoloc Collar replaced.

Mike W
06-25-2013, 11:27 PM
When it is all apart we can see what is going on in there. We can do as much or as little as you want to. THe first step is taking it apart to have a look. Then we go over options and budget and decide from there. I'll do my best to help you out labor wise.

Mike W