PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy used coilovers?

kevinlambchops
12-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Just got my evo x last week but want to lower it. Saw used BC Racing coilovers BR series for sale on evom. They have about 10k miles on them according the poster and he wants 600 for them. I would try to get him down to 500, but what do you guys think? Need advice on used coils and bc racing coils in general. Also probably going to run stock rims for awhile. Do I need a camber kit? Never installed Coilovers before but I could get someone to help. Also from what i read people suggest to get good coils (which are like 2k), if not just go with springs. What are your thoughts on this?

kevinlambchops
12-06-2013, 11:45 PM
I only mentioned stock rims to ask if it would look nice lol. Bcuz i know rims have nothing to do with camber

Chento13
12-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Be careful when purchasing coilovers. Many are "affordably" priced, however, they might not function properly, break, etc.. I'm not trying to bash those coil overs, but IMHO, stick with a known brand like KW's or Ohlins. Yes they are pricey, but they are proven to work. If not, springs is a great option. I had Eibachs(Pro-kit, which I'm currently selling :wink1:) for about 15k miles. The drop is good and overall feel is right on.

Good luck man! I do believe someone is selling brand new KW's for like $1,750. Damn good deal.

one4
12-07-2013, 06:37 PM
If you are on a budget get a set of megan coilovers and have gilbert@ massimo power set them up. They are under 1k brad new. Lots of people are running them with great results... I am one of those people lol.

kevinlambchops
12-07-2013, 07:48 PM
so you would advise against used?

Treyzian
12-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Yes. Moveable suspension parts are always risky when buying used, you never know the quality/history of them, the previous owner may have seriously abused them.

Also, don't skimp out on coilovers. Unless the only thing you care about is looks, save up for KW's at the very least. Ohlins would be ideal for a dual purpose DD/track car.

evobros
12-08-2013, 02:20 AM
Megan tracks with a good suspension guy like Gilbert from massimo and ull be happy. Also if u buy used coilovers just get a shop to check them before buying.

R-EVOLUTION
12-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Megan tracks with a good suspension guy like Gilbert from massimo and ull be happy. Also if u buy used coilovers just get a shop to check them before buying.

Could not have said it better. +1

HMatt
12-09-2013, 09:10 AM
If he just wants to lower the car and get a little better handling, didn't Muellerized come out with a set of springs for the X?

Black Evo Beauty
12-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Just get Swift springs

one4
12-11-2013, 12:39 AM
+1 .... for what u want, a set of swift springs would be the best option. No need for coils unless you plan on doing more with the car right now.

evobros
12-11-2013, 01:13 AM
If he just wants to lower the car and get a little better handling, didn't Muellerized come out with a set of springs for the X?

Eewwwww no eso no. Lol.

gr8dc2b
12-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Could not have said it better. +1

+1 Gilbert is the bomb!!! He knows what he is doing...if you get used coilovers, Gilbert will check them out, and if you tested them on the car before he touches them, I can for certainly say that your car will feel better once he works on them.

kevinlambchops
12-28-2013, 12:48 AM
thanks for all the replies! I decided against getting the used coils and will probably get a set of new springs. Either swift, eibach pro kit, or h&r

Treyzian
01-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Really late post, but if you haven't purchased springs yet, make sure you AVOID eibach pro kit if you value handling at all. Their drop is so great and their spring rate is so bad, it's ridiculous.

Possibly the best springs out there are swift spec r. (I heard Muellerized has a good set of springs as well, but no personal experience).

bigstak
01-25-2014, 09:53 AM
muellerized springs are swift sports...I have the stage 1 set up...I also had the Eibach Pro Kit and agree -stay away- it is too low and doesn't handle as good as stock especially around bumpy turns although they look good "stance" wise -a whiteline rck really helped with those springs and I have this on my current set up...the swift sports (muellerized) I have work well and are comfortable but one thing I do not like is how the front springs are progressive and the stock set up has linear front springs which to me feel better...they are also kind of lower than I thought they would be so might raise her back up again and try out the Works .5 springs (suspension tuning never ends lol)...I think stiffer sway bars would probably be a nice compliment to the swift sport springs though...maybe try out the muellerized stage 1 plus package...as far as used coils -heard nothing good about BC or Megan and would recommend going with springs over cheap coils overall...you could also pair the springs with some revalved mr bilsteins if you want something closer to coilover performance...

jamesinger
01-27-2014, 10:56 PM
I will throw in my opinion here as well. I have gone to a few different suspension Gurus now. After going to Muellerized, I can see what the hype is about. I recommend going to him and discussing what you want. You could end up with a simple package or something more full on but he can help you get a set up suited to your needs. I am really happy with his work.

http://www.muellerized.com/

nechronius
01-29-2014, 07:17 PM
Muellerized "Stage 1+" here which amounts to Eibach sway bars front/rear and Swift R springs with stock struts(Could have been Whiteline bars for a bit more had I requested a more aggressive setup for a bit more cash). Baller on a budget kind of setup but worth the handling improvement.

raysevo
01-31-2014, 12:51 PM
I have some KWV3 9k on the front snd 10k on the rear

Gilbert@MassimoPower
01-31-2014, 06:42 PM
The question all comes down to the budget. What you want to get out of the car for the amount of money you want to spend. If you want a decent handling car with no real intentions to hit the track hard, springs are a good option. Swift is the best. They make two version of their springs, The sports and spec r. Spec r is lower and limits the travel in the suspension a little more with the control arms being in a more extreme angle and a roll center kit will make this most beneficial but also cost more for install and parts. Swift springs rock out honestly and many have tracked on them and turned good times and loved the way the car felt.

The other options would be going coils, budget is a big factor on this because a true setup coil that works for the car with the correct spring rates for what you want to do makes all the difference over a slapped on set of coils out of the box. (they are never right....some close, but usually not). With these services, labor and time is involved. Used coils aren't bad as long as you know what your buying...how they were setup and how they got used. If they have oil on them etc. its best to have them checked out by someone that knows what they are looking for.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do. If you would like to discuss it more give us a ring. Happy to help.

gr8dc2b
03-07-2014, 05:57 PM
^^^and what Gilbert says is the truth. If I did not have him set up my coilovers properly, I probably would have gone back to stock!!!