PDA

View Full Version : Trans slipping/problem? Evo X MR 2012

A U R
12-22-2013, 05:04 AM
I have an Evo X MR 2012, sort of paranoid about my transmission because of how many people's trannies go out etc. for the MR.

I only have near 12k on my Evo, but after driving back from vegas to SoCal, from a dead stop at a red light, my car would suddenly lunge forward. I thought someone hit me at first, but noone was behind me. I wasn't driving hard or anything.

Is this normal? I was in Drive and not in neutral or anything, so it's not like anything should be catching right? Stopping at D would keep it at 1st gear, correct?

Does anyone have an explanation for the lunging / sudden catch?

Vegas to Socal is like 350 miles+ I think, not sure. Driving at 70~90 MPH in 6th most of the time. I know driving in a specific gear for long periods of time isn't that great.

Eckolaker
12-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Mods? Tune? Has it happened since then?

c_sautter
12-22-2013, 05:31 PM
So driving long periods in 6th gear is not good for the transmission?

Eckolaker
12-22-2013, 06:28 PM
So driving long periods in 6th gear is not good for the transmission?

Highly unlikely.

c_sautter
12-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Thats my thought too. I couldn't understand why driving long periods in 6th gear would be bad. If it was, Mitsubishi better go back to the drawing board.

A U R
12-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Oh excuse me for my ignorance and FUD. The things we read right? lol. I don't know where I got that idea from. Somewhere on this forum I read that. But I guess someone said keeping the engine at the same RPM for long periods of time is bad, and I took it as if they were a subject matter expert.
The only mod is Cosworth Air Filter and ETS V2 Normal CatBack. Nothing worth a tune over.

Since then it has not happened. This can probably be related to long periods of driving. Well I consider 3 hours of driving short though.

Macky
12-23-2013, 02:32 PM
prolonged driving in 6th gear shouldn't hurt. if it does, it's the first I've heard of it, especially the whole *keeping the engine at the same RPM for long periods is bad*. my brother and I drove to vegas and back on his 08 X GSR and were on cruise control the entire time. the Evo's engine just hummed along just fine like any other car, even at 3000 rpm. i seriously doubt the MR's 6th gear would cause the engine any other duress, especially at a slightly lower cruising rpm.

Gqracer
12-31-2013, 06:23 PM
It is normal. My does that too when slowing down for a complete stop. The transmission is down shifting. 2nd gear is when it when occurred. Whiplash feeling.

xevoxx
01-10-2014, 01:40 PM
mine does the same thing...annoying

DTunedEvoX
01-10-2014, 02:22 PM
I've taken my GSR to Vegas 6+ times ...
You car would benefit much from a tune with your drop-in and a catback though!
Opt for a 3 port and maybe a cat option and you should be golden!