PDA

View Full Version : Wuartermaster twin 6-leg or 8-leg clutch?

BryanF
12-30-2013, 09:17 PM
So, my stock clutch finally started to slip after 50k of making 400HP and 380tq. I'm very satisfied with the stock clutch and how it survived for so long but I figure it's time to upgrade to a twin style clutch. I called MAP and talked prices and we came up with a couple options for my car. MAP told me that the QM TWIN 6-leg would be ideal for my set up and it's on sale for $1345, so with everything I need it's $200 cheaper then the 8-leg newer style QM twin. My question for all of you is which clutch would you purchase?? I don't mind spending $200 more for a clutch as long as it last for a good period of time but I also don't mind saving a few hundred dollars. Also, I looked into the ACT and they are back ordered until March 2014.

Bryan

javicracer
12-30-2013, 09:43 PM
What is a wuatermaster?!?!??!

BryanF
12-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Yeah, tried to fix that it's supposed to say QuarterMaster. Stupid auto correct!

evodriver49
12-31-2013, 11:53 AM
lol youre gonna hate the daily driveability with such an aggressive clutch -_- ive never stalled an evo before, EXCEPT my buddy's evo which had the 8 leg. I used to have an act 6 puck and even that was a PITA to daily drive and is less aggressive than the 8 leg. i dont know anything about the 6 leg however. i know its not what you wanted to hear but since you're coming from a stock clutch i would HIGHLY recommend the act hdss with act streetlite flywheel with oem TOB and you'll LOVE it, promise!

BryanF
12-31-2013, 12:01 PM
^^I've driven on twin plates before and they do take some time to
get adjusted to and can be noisy. The issue with the ACT clutches is that they are on back order until sometime I'm March and RRE just sold their last one. I do want something that will hold trq above 400 because the motor will be pulled next summer and built along with adding a turbo from FP (most likely BB red).

evodriver49
12-31-2013, 12:55 PM
O i didn't know they were back ordered for so long. And i didn't know that you were going to build her with the red so I don't have any experience with a suitable clutch for you since i make the same power as you. I'm sure other members can chime in on a better clutch for your power goals (guessing 5xx/450 e85?)

Azian
12-31-2013, 12:58 PM
ACT XTSS or HDSS, thread/

BryanF
12-31-2013, 02:23 PM
ACT XTSS or HDSS, thread/

This was my first choice but with them being backordered for sometime I'm gonna go with a twin plate. I don't mind the the twin plates as long as I get good life out of it. How's your evo by the way?? Haven't been on the forums much as of lately.

Bryan

BryanF
12-31-2013, 02:26 PM
O i didn't know they were back ordered for so long. And i didn't know that you were going to build her with the red so I don't have any experience with a suitable clutch for you since i make the same power as you. I'm sure other members can chime in on a better clutch for your power goals (guessing 5xx/450 e85?)

if I could make 550hp I would be content with that. I'm gonna do a 2.3l build most likely and try not to
lean on it to much. I want it to last like this current set up without to many problems.

evo_jfa
12-31-2013, 02:31 PM
I heard some guys from the east prefer exedy stage 2 or competition instead ACT HD . There is also popular exedy/cusco twin. Any with feedback from Exedy clutches or competition?

BryanF
12-31-2013, 02:50 PM
^^the Exedy twin HD is a few hundred cheaper but I've also seen them fail with very low miles on them. Like I said before the driver and how you treat the car does play a big factor in how long they last but I have two friends that baby their cars and they still had to replace the exedy.