PDA

View Full Version : SST Help Needed! - Missing Gears 2/4/6

DLo
05-03-2014, 06:19 PM
While exiting an off ramp today, I downshifted from 5th to 4th in manual-S-Sport mode and the SST went haywire while displaying the Transmission Service Required message. I pulled to the side of the road, went back to auto-normal mode and quickly realized auto-normal was holding 1st gear at least up to 5000 rpm (I did not try any higher). I pulled over again and switch over to auto-normal mode and then pulled away. I quickly discovered that the SST would only go into 1st, 3rd and 5th gears. I limped it home.

The SST gave me Transmission Service Required message before (around 1000 miles) when I switched from auto-s-sport mode to auto-sport mode and then finally to auto-normal on the fly. I pulled over once again, cycled the ignition a few times and the issue went away. The only difference is that I didn't lose all even gears. I didn't give this much thought since it resolved itself. I just figured it was a momentary SST glitch. My current issue has obviously got me very concerned.

My car is completely stock with slightly less than 3000 miles. I have been feverishly reading SST posts to determine what the fix is for something like this. What I found so far is something as easy as replace SST fluid and filter to get the SST replaced under warranty.

Any help is much appreciated!

kambodianboi
05-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Take it to the dealership, they should replace/fix it under warranty.

jiGGypiGGy
05-03-2014, 07:17 PM
every time its gets hot out them sst start acting a fool. I dunno why they don't just upgrade the cooler already. one day my buddies was so hot it would roll backwards up hil. the heated fuilded expanded and engaged the reverse gear lol.

DLo
05-03-2014, 09:10 PM
My 08 MR had no such problems even in the heat. I should have hung on to that 08. Oh well...

evoX600RR
05-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Just take it to the dealership and once they fix it ask them what was thw problem and update this thread lol...

DLo
05-03-2014, 10:06 PM
I definitely will. Should be taking it early next week. Thanks for the quick feedback from everyone.

Eckolaker
05-04-2014, 07:36 AM
My guess would be to change the SST fluid and filter. I've heard several well known SST tuners mention Mitsu does a 50/50 mix of Diaqueen and regular Tranny fluid from the factory. They all suggest to do the first change around 7,500 miles.

DLo
05-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Now that I think about it, the only difference between my 08 and my 14 MRs is that I had the tranny fluid changed in the 08. Therefore, I would recommend any MR owner who wants to do any level of spirited driving should get their tranny fluid and filter changed more immediately than not.

Anyhow, I'm bringing the car into the dealership tomorrow.

Hsmbb6
05-04-2014, 11:14 PM
My guess would be to change the SST fluid and filter. I've heard several well known SST tuners mention Mitsu does a 50/50 mix of Diaqueen and regular Tranny fluid from the factory. They all suggest to do the first change around 7,500 miles.

That is scary, why the hell would they do that? Does it help them save that much in costs? I saw this mentioned in another thread on evom......i still don't believe it. When did they start doing this?

DLo
05-05-2014, 06:05 PM
The dealer covered it under warranty. The service manager said they sent all the codes (didn't tell me what they were) to Mitsubishi for analysis but couldn't determine what the issue was locally. They said if it's a clutch pack they could do it in shop, but anything more than that they'll swap out the tranny. Either way they said they plan on having the car back to me by Friday. I thought that was extremely quick. Must have a tranny lying around or they're best case scenario planning. Anyhow, they paid for a rental in the interim.

Hsmbb6
05-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Well that is good news, it seems like you got an lemon sst. Having it starting to go out before 1k mile is nuts. Why did you sell your 08 MR?

DLo
05-05-2014, 07:46 PM
No good reason. I should never have sold the '08. Glad to be back even if the first SST is a lemon. I really think it has to do with the stock SST fluid. I plan on having it flushed once I get it back. May even do SSP deep pan as we'll, or SSP cooler.

Hsmbb6
05-05-2014, 09:15 PM
I'd really liked to know when they started using a 50/50 mix. It seems so absurd they would consider doing that with a specialized trans such as this one. I currently have 4k miles now and after hearing this I'm itching to get it drained.

TOMinLA
05-07-2014, 01:26 PM
Super sport mode should never be used unless you want to beat your sst. The rpm's are so high you can blow the trans.
To drive it on the free way is death to the sst. If you think about it. Does this make sense?
I see some of you guys beat the car and expect the dealer to fix it under warranty. Good luck if the dealer goes for it. You can break parts by abuses. To go onto the freeway in S'S mode is crazy. Looking for trouble.
This is just my opinion. Think about it.

DLo
05-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Super sport mode should never be used unless you want to beat your sst. The rpm's are so high you can blow the trans.
To drive it on the free way is death to the sst. If you think about it. Does this make sense?
I see some of you guys beat the car and expect the dealer to fix it under warranty. Good luck if the dealer goes for it. You can break parts by abuses. To go onto the freeway in S'S mode is crazy. Looking for trouble.
This is just my opinion. Think about it.

I appreciate your opinion, but I flat out disagree with you. If the trans can't handle SS mode, then why have it? If the trans can't handle going 80 mph in SS mode, then why have it?

The reality is I just got an SST made on Friday afternoon. It happens...

Macky
05-07-2014, 05:54 PM
its actually better to have the car in Sport or S-Sport Manual Mode. The clutches have less slip at either mode. Less clutch slip = longer clutch life. Driving on the freeway is irrelevant.

Hsmbb6
05-07-2014, 08:38 PM
I think he is talking about driving in Super-Sport in AUTO mode, it essentially does not shift until you get to the redline. But then again who the heck uses their SST in auto mode. I don't see any issues using super sport in manual mode, its the way it should be driven.

Kristian562
05-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Dam I am really confused with what I read here lol . My ride has the SST and i switch from Regular to Sport at times when I want higher RPMs higher boost and I am always using manual mode most of the time is this bad ? I mean I don't miss treat it or abused it that bad lol and maintain my car very well. Macky do you know anything about the sport backs on the SST cluch I heard it's German engineering build it.

Macky
05-08-2014, 09:32 AM
As far as I know, the transmission on both cars (MR and Ralliart/Ralliart Sportback) is the same. The only difference is that the MR has the S-Sport Mode available. It's made by Getrag iirc, and from what I've read, you want the clutches to engage immediately without slipping, something the Normal mode does as it tries to replicate the feel of a normal automatic. Normal mode takes its time to engage the clutch to soften the shifts and has less pressure iirc, versus Sport and S-Sport, which engage with more force and pressure.

I know that in automatics that actually is a good thing (clutches engaging immediately) because excess slippage is what generates heat, and its the heat that causes problems. Its true for regular automatics and its definitely true for the SST. You want the transmission to be in the gear as you change, not slurring the shifts.

DLo
05-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Update from dealership, they said a shift fork was jammed. They installed a brand new tranny. This is the best case resolution for me. I am going to flush the fluids once I get it back just to be on the safe side.

Hsmbb6
05-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Just curious, what dealership is doing the work?

DLo
05-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Cerritos Mitsu