PDA

View Full Version : 2014 X GSR notchy trans

Pats04Evo8
08-28-2014, 09:38 PM
My nephew has a 2014 X GSR and is wondering if mitsubishi has come to a conclusion or a fix to the notchy trans either cold, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 5th or reverse? Does all X's have this issue 2008-2014? I told him should of gone with a 8 or 9 but Kids don't listen these days!.. LOL

Treyzian
08-28-2014, 10:53 PM
It's notchy with all the evos I've driven, 8/X.

Fluid change + bushings will help.

GokuSSJ4
08-28-2014, 10:55 PM
People need to really analyze their driving style instead of blaming this on the equipment.
Revisit your driving style, take it easy and get the right service from a proper shop. It will make a night and day difference.

jiGGypiGGy
08-29-2014, 12:51 AM
People need to really analyze their driving style instead of blaming this on the equipment.
Revisit your driving style, take it easy and get the right service from a proper shop. It will make a night and day difference.

I can see where this makes sense, because there are times were I say "dam that felt really good" when you shift and it just kinda drops itself in gear with a nice movement.

3rd for me is the worse its almost always kinds feels grindy.

its gets better over time, and I never driven any EVO that shifted well when it was cold, needs to warm up at bit I think..

Macky
08-29-2014, 06:13 AM
for me, the VIII GSR's 5-speed was notchy when cold. the 6-speed on the VIII MR was actually better for me in daily driving. It actually felt smoother, even when cold. then again, I don't hammer on it every time, so it may have been how I treated it.

the X GSR's 5-speed was the same. again, maybe I just didn't subject it to as much hard use than most.

jiGGypiGGy
08-29-2014, 07:35 AM
for me, the VIII GSR's 5-speed was notchy when cold. the 6-speed on the VIII MR was actually better for me in daily driving. It actually felt smoother, even when cold. then again, I don't hammer on it every time, so it may have been how I treated it.

the X GSR's 5-speed was the same. again, maybe I just didn't subject it to as much hard use than most.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Digitalsaint/image_03a.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Digitalsaint/media/image_03a.jpg.html)

Mitsubishi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000501/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): You're 5 spd, you're really funny. You're really funny. evo X gsR
mishubishi: It's funny, you know. how it shifts, it's funny, you're funny
[laughs]
EVO x gsR: What do you mean, you mean the way I idle? What?
mitshubishi: It's just, you know. You're just funny, it's... funny, the way you sit at 3500 rpm on the freeway and everything.
EVO X gsR: [it becomes quiet] Funny how? What's funny about it?
EVO IV: mitshubishi no, You got it all wrong.
EVO X gsR: Oh, oh, IV. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did ya say? Funny how?
mitshubishi: Jus...
EVO X gsR: What?
mitshubishi: Just... ya know... you're funny.
EVO X gsR: You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny cause im down a gear, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
mitshubishi: Just... you know, how grindy you shift, what?
EVO X gsR: No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the fuck am I funny, what the fuck is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!
mitshubishi: [long pause] Get the fuck out of here, EVO X gsR or ill end your production...
EVO x gsR: [everyone laughs] Ya motherfucker! I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering prick ya. IV, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, mitshubishi you maybe be stupid enough to end X production.

Richwithnomoney
08-29-2014, 08:44 AM
I can agree with the notchyness and the difficulty to get it into gear sometimes on a cold start. When I first got my '14 X, I was pretty irritated with how hard it was to get into first gear. The first 5k miles or so, I drove conservative to break her in and I still don't think I drive her as spiritually as I would like to lol I learned to deal with it and actually, yesterday morning it did the same thing. I just tell myself she's still dry :grin:

GokuSSJ4
08-29-2014, 09:27 AM
Have you guys try taking it to a shop aside the dealer who are experts on evos?
better fluid can make a difference and perhaps look for alternatives on which this can be improve upon.
Just my .02 cents.

Richwithnomoney
08-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Have you guys try taking it to a shop aside the dealer who are experts on evos?
better fluid can make a difference and perhaps look for alternatives on which this can be improve upon.
Just my .02 cents.

Haden't thought about it but I might consider it now. Anyone in the OC area that you guys would recommend?

bry_guy92
08-29-2014, 12:08 PM
My 14' was the same. I just learned to deal with it by shifting with a flick of the wrist when changing gears. It seems to fall into gear with out any problems using this technique. Hope this helps

Mike W
08-29-2014, 01:27 PM
They break in nicely over time. New they are all notchy. Just dont force anything where it dont want to go and give it time. It could take 5k to 10k miles.

Redline MT-85 is specifically made for Mitsubishi manual transmissions. EVO shops sell it.

Mike W

Richwithnomoney
08-29-2014, 02:09 PM
They break in nicely over time. New they are all notchy. Just dont force anything where it dont want to go and give it time. It could take 5k to 10k miles.
Redline MT-85 is specifically made for Mitsubishi manual transmissions. EVO shops sell it.
Mike W

cool. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

ThatNewGuy
08-29-2014, 08:46 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Digitalsaint/image_03a.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Digitalsaint/media/image_03a.jpg.html)

Mitsubishi (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000501/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): You're 5 spd, you're really funny. You're really funny. evo X gsR
mishubishi: It's funny, you know. how it shifts, it's funny, you're funny
[laughs]
EVO x gsR: What do you mean, you mean the way I idle? What?
mitshubishi: It's just, you know. You're just funny, it's... funny, the way you sit at 3500 rpm on the freeway and everything.
EVO X gsR: [it becomes quiet] Funny how? What's funny about it?
EVO IV: mitshubishi no, You got it all wrong.
EVO X gsR: Oh, oh, IV. He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did ya say? Funny how?
mitshubishi: Jus...
EVO X gsR: What?
mitshubishi: Just... ya know... you're funny.
EVO X gsR: You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny cause im down a gear, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
mitshubishi: Just... you know, how grindy you shift, what?
EVO X gsR: No, no, I don't know, you said it. How do I know? You said I'm funny. How the fuck am I funny, what the fuck is so funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!
mitshubishi: [long pause] Get the fuck out of here, EVO X gsR or ill end your production...
EVO x gsR: [everyone laughs] Ya motherfucker! I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering prick ya. IV, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, mitshubishi you maybe be stupid enough to end X production.

Hilarious hahaha :applouse:

nechronius
08-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Mine is still a touch notchy going into 2nd and 3rd when cold but much better when warm. Faster shifting seems to translate into smoother shifts too even when warm. Go figure. It's just Evo character and I don't give it much thought. I just enjoy the drive.

fricks
08-30-2014, 08:42 AM
From 2nd to 3rd very notchy when cold. 5k miles.

TripleXvolution
09-09-2014, 12:27 AM
My younger brothers car had that same problem too. He learn to deal with it though.

Cristhian Baluarte
09-09-2014, 01:20 AM
the 2nd to 3rd notchyness should disappear with a trans fluid change! also, i recommend Massimo Power, me and the my friends take our car to them always :) they're in Corona.

EdiREvo8
09-09-2014, 08:58 AM
I can agree with the notchyness and the difficulty to get it into gear sometimes on a cold start. When I first got my '14 X, I was pretty irritated with how hard it was to get into first gear. The first 5k miles or so, I drove conservative to break her in and I still don't think I drive her as spiritually as I would like to lol I learned to deal with it and actually, yesterday morning it did the same thing. I just tell myself she's still dry :grin: Spiritually ahahahahahahaha :angel2::rotfl:

Richwithnomoney
09-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Spiritually ahahahahahahaha :angel2::rotfl:

lol am I missing something?

BtackTuning
09-10-2014, 06:40 AM
My nephew has a 2014 X GSR and is wondering if mitsubishi has come to a conclusion or a fix to the notchy trans either cold, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 5th or reverse? Does all X's have this issue 2008-2014? I told him should of gone with a 8 or 9 but Kids don't listen these days!.. LOL

The problem isn't the tranny. It's the way people are shifting. I've been in a few evo x's in the last few month that had 2nd and 3rd gears completely destroyed. Any time I would shift the car wouldn't allow me to get into gear without grinding through the shift. From what I've seen while the car isn't completely warmed up gear shifts must me done with ease, otherwise it will lead to permanent damage to the syncros. Especially if the car wont go into gear, don't force it

evo_jfa
09-10-2014, 08:32 AM
I'll follow up Mike's recommendation going to MT-85. Old trick from DSM transmissions. it's summer, I'll expect this situation until winter. But if it feels the same once the car is warm, the issues still happen, maybe something else. I'll go to a reputable shop for additional feedback

one4
09-10-2014, 10:06 PM
Mine was notchy for the first 4k miles or so... now im around 7k on the car and it shifts like butter. Just needed some time to break in I guess.

Sheed85
11-09-2014, 11:07 PM
I have a 2014 that's also notchy but as others stated, I never force it into gear, and before I throw it into reverse, I put it in first and let out the clutch just a little bit, then go directly to reverse and it goes right in. 3100 miles on mine so it might go away a bit later, but not worried because it's not that bad and never grinded on me. When I get my weighted shift knob it might help a bit also.

kbgsr13
11-19-2014, 05:21 PM
Mine was notchy in the beginning as well.. it'll get better after the break in. Changing to a weighted shift knob definitely felt like it helped.

benyuan5
11-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Haden't thought about it but I might consider it now. Anyone in the OC area that you guys would recommend?

nah...idk of anything in OC. I've had great experinces with massimo power in corona

TrevorV
02-18-2015, 11:43 PM
Seems like the notch gets better with time/miles