PDA

View Full Version : 2014 EVO X CA 91oct tune 330/339 with stock cat RRE Tuned

yifuqiao
04-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Finally got my car tuned today.
My tuner is Rick@RRE.
I couldn't believe how much difference the tune made and I am a very happy customer.
After the tune, whenever I reach 3500rpm + , I can easily feel the car wants to fly. It simply wants to move!

Car :
2014 EVO X GSR

Mileage:
20669 miles

Power Mods:
AEM intake
Greddy Ti-C single exit
ETS 3" intercooler
ETS UICP
RRE 3 Port

Max boost is 25 psi

Rick told me my car did very good. For cars with stock cat, they usually make 320 with similar mods. I did change my engine oil the day before tune, so that might make a difference http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/neener.gif
Rick also gave me a safer map.
He told me if I am racing or the weather is too hot, I could use the safer tune. The safer tune still doesn't disappoint, it made around 310/310, max boost is around 24.

I did notice some other changes after the tune:
1. The exhaust tone seems to be changed, I am not sure what happened, but it seems to be louder?
2. I could actually hear my BOV or maybe intake with my set up... It is not super loud, but if SSQV is 10/10 loud, my stock bov sounds like 3/10.
Is it because of the boost controller? Or is it because the car is tuned to accept more air? It was a nice sound. But I am just curious what makes this happen. I love the sound, and I can only hear it when window is down. But I always thought AEM intakes are quiet.

I also have a few questions:
I know high load + low rpm is a big nono and I am already avoid that. I know many ppl blew their tuned car because of this.
Is there any other bad driving habit I need to be aware of?
I usually just keep my rpm 3k + , the car feels healthier that way.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/images/smilies/cabpatch.gif, overall, I am happy with the service I got.
Now I just need to replace some brake pads and get ready for track.
Let me know what you guys think.

EVO_DREAMER
04-11-2015, 09:23 AM
That sounds impressive. So is there a huge difference going from stock to a tuned car with bolt-ons?

yifuqiao
04-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Ya, this is the first time I get my car tuned.
I always thought tuned car is just faster, but you probably wont feel it with your butt...
I did feel a huge difference on my way back to home.
The car really urges to move after 3.5k rpm, I think it will take me a few to get used to it.

Apex Hunter
04-11-2015, 10:16 AM
I did notice some other changes after the tune:
1. The exhaust tone seems to be changed, I am not sure what happened, but it seems to be louder?
2. I could actually hear my BOV or maybe intake with my set up... It is not super loud, but if SSQV is 10/10 loud, my stock bov sounds like 3/10.
Is it because of the boost controller? Or is it because the car is tuned to accept more air? It was a nice sound. But I am just curious what makes this happen. I love the sound, and I can only hear it when window is down. But I always thought AEM intakes are quiet.

I also have a few questions:
I know high load + low rpm is a big nono and I am already avoid that. I know many ppl blew their tuned car because of this.
Is there any other bad driving habit I need to be aware of?
I usually just keep my rpm 3k + , the car feels healthier that way.

Hey, CONGRATULATIONS! Tuning is the best bang for the buck, and with a capable tuner like Rick, one of the best things you can do for your car.

1. Sounds about right. Here's a couple things to consider. First, new parts on your car. Based on your thread asking about safety of installing new parts before tuning, i'm going to assume that this was the first time that the car has been at WOT, especially for any length of time, with the new parts? Second, and this is on a very small scale here, but as you are making more power now (the byproduct of a combustion event with more energy) a little more volume could be the result.

2. I think you just installed this intake? Even though the AEM for the X uses an airbox, i'm not surprised that the car is a bit more vocal now. The valve has been making the same noise all along, it's just more audible with the new intake. Factory intakes, especially those constructed almost entirely of rubber and high density plastic, are usually pretty good at suppressing sound. The new intake is a less restrictive design overall, and uses an aluminum tube, which is going to reflect a bit more sound.

Regarding high load and low rpm, if the timing and fuel are tuned appropriately, the engine is probably not going to "blow" in the traditional sense, but "lugging an engine" like that is not so great for the bearings. The lowest safe engine speed will depend on load and engine design. I typically don't apply much load below about 2k rpm, and will allow progressively more load from there on up. I don't think i've ever gone WOT much below about 3k.

Just keep up with maintenance, use quality fluids, don't skip shift, and if you go to the track it's not a bad idea to have some way to monitor engine vitals.

jiGGypiGGy
04-11-2015, 10:53 AM
the check engine light will flash if your too deep I think, not sure if that stock or something the tuner does. that was very nice of rick to give you two maps. but with the summers here in socal I think its a great idea and I might just do that myself as well.

your numbers are much better then mine, I lost my cat somewhere btw, but other then that I have a grimmspeed-3p, aem intake, and custom exhaust and uicp.

does a stock catalytic converter make back pressure? that would be good for low and midrange TQ? im guessing its a trade off for high end power, which would greater gains in the end.

fmic is good, I think I need one.

is that the only page they gave you, do you have one with AFR, and boost graphs?

yifuqiao
04-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Thanks for your explanation, man.
They all made sense to me now.

This is the first time I actually "drive" after parts installed. So, ya, maybe sound and exhaust note was already there, but I couldn't notice.
Next thing on my list is probably AFR gauge, like you said, I need a way to monitor my car to make sure my car runs healthy.

yifuqiao
04-11-2015, 11:07 AM
the check engine light will flash if your too deep I think, not sure if that stock or something the tuner does. that was very nice of rick to give you two maps. but with the summers here in socal I think its a great idea and I might just do that myself as well.

your numbers are much better then mine, I lost my cat somewhere btw, but other then that I have a grimmspeed-3p, aem intake, and custom exhaust and uicp.

does a stock catalytic converter make back pressure? that would be good for low and midrange TQ? im guessing its a trade off for high end power, which would greater gains in the end.

is that the only page they gave you, do you have one with AFR, and boost graphs?

They were pretty busy yesterday.
I meant to ask for all of them.
But in the end, Gus only sent me this one.
I am gonna ask for it right now

But when I saw him doing the pull, I think during pulls, it was around 11.5 on the monitor.

Apex Hunter
04-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Yes, stock cat or any cat would be the main point of restriction, assuming you are using straight through mufflers and decent size piping.

On a turbo car, the big backpressure enchilada is at the turbo itself. Exhaust tuning by increasing/decreasing backpressure like you might on an NA car, downstream of the turbine housing, is pretty much moot. You can't un-restrict an exhaust on a turbo car too much, but you can certainly choke with too much restriction. I can think of several factory turbo cars where simply removing the cat and/or upgrading to a less restrictive exhaust in whatever form increases boost and decreases the boost threshold and spool time.

yifuqiao
04-14-2015, 12:34 PM

Here you go:

Note:
AFR displayed is about 0.50 richer than actual AFR, this is an offset scaling displayed.
IE 11.50 displayed afr will actually be 11.00 actual afr

It shows 26 psi here, but if you see the map closely, you can tell the curser is slightly above the curve, so I think it should be somewhat about 25 psi.

jiGGypiGGy
04-14-2015, 01:53 PM
really nice lines: afr is IMHO nice most evo x I see after about 6500rpm go kinda lulu anyway.

I think your intercooler is helping a lot, your boost and afr lines are alot smoother then mine. I dunno if that's the display or the data showing different effects. I know they say the intercooler its only good for a few HP but I think its synergistic effects are not measured.

yifuqiao
04-14-2015, 02:22 PM
really nice lines: afr is IMHO nice most evo x I see after about 6500rpm go kinda lulu anyway.

I think your intercooler is helping a lot, your boost and afr lines are alot smoother then mine. I dunno if that's the display or the data showing different effects. I know they say the intercooler its only good for a few HP but I think its synergistic effects are not measured.

ya, man. I felt like intercooler does really help.
It seems to make things more consistent. Like you said, it synergizes well with the other parts of the car.
I think IC keep the air temp more consistent, which could probably results smoother curve at high rpm?
But it could just be the displaying effect, different dyno software may have different refresh rate/ accuracy/thresholds.

I am not sure if this marketing or not, but here is a graph :

Source:
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Products2/EvoX/EvoX_FMIC.shtml