Thread: HKS SSQV BOV PROBLEM

HKS SSQV BOV PROBLEM

Hey guys,

I need some help, I know I dont own en evo anymore as of this moment, as I've shared last year bout the project car im doing, evrything doing well, I got 362hp and 380Nm boosting at 1.2bars (about 17.64psi if im not mistaken) on a K20 engine. Now,I got a problem with my BOV, im using the HKS SSQV BOV and when I'm boosting about 0.7bars and above, its sounded weird, the sound like when u forgot to close your window fully then there's a really strong wind blowing; it sounded like that!

I asked some of my friend's opinion then they say that the HKS bov cant withstand the boost and horsepower of the car then it just leak or did a premature release or something like that

Just wondering if anyone has ever experience the same with their evo or any cars. Anyone knows is it the problem with the BOV or other things that making that weird noises

If it is the BOV, is there any BOV recommendation which BOV should I use? I asked some of them tuners/shops in Indonesia, some of them reccomend me to go with HKS SSQV Ver 2, or the Greddy type R BOV, but some of them said that the HKS Ver 2 and Greddy type R would be useless since the spring is so hard it wont open in my car, recommended me to go with 2 units of SARD (R2D2 if im not mistaken) BOV or to go with Blitz

Im confuseeeeeeeee.......Rich...Rob...Mark...Goku.... Anyoneeeeeee any input would be most appreciated.
    :'(
    Sorry if I posted on the wrong forums, please mods feel free to move

Thanks a lot guys

Rizal
    The heart of the prudent acquires knowledge, And the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />

Evo Guru
    Cars
    Formely '04 Evo 8 & '10 OBP Evo X - Currently 14 WW MR

Re: HKS SSQV BOV PROBLEM

Partial Throttle Surge .. Common in most aftermarket BOV's ... Try a Greddy Type S or RS in your boosted k20 ..
    2014 WW Evo MR ~ Derick 3.0

Rizal *,
    It's me Larry. *I'm the one with the black Eclipse who almost bought your car before you left. *
    Anyways, test for boost leaks first, since you hear air escaping. Isolate the problem first;
    http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html
    ... if it really is the BOV, and you need a good "not too soft/not to stiff" BOV, go with a stock Evo CBV/BOV.
    If it doesn&#039;t make power, it&#039;s not worth the hour.

Larry :) I'm amazed u still remember me though we only met once. Anyhow yeah i forgot to tell that I had leaks on my ext manifold also my gasket wored out (the middle diagonal part burned out) but then had them fixed, at first it was all went well, my HKS can whistle again..then when boost at 0.7bar and above it made the sound again, but this time not as hard as when I got leaks on the ext mani and gasket problem. btw Indonesia sucks, they dont even have the gasket(the steel like or whatever it is made of) like you guys use in US, in here only have the cardboard like gasket;the ones that can be bend.

Stock Evo BOV is hard to find in here

Ginuwineevo8: I was told by the authorised Greddy Dealer in Indonesia that Greddy type RS can only hold 1.2Bars Boost, while during every drag races, I use Racing Fuel (Elf or VP either one) I boost about 1.3-1.5 bars and it wont hold the boost :P

How bout using 2 units of SARD R2D2 bovs? useless?

Any other input?
    The heart of the prudent acquires knowledge, And the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />

i have the greddy rs and i boost about 1.48 bar.
    no one on this forum knows how to spell.

The HKS is a great valve, just not for our cars.
    Even when you recirc it, the valve closes slower then say an MR or GReddy S/RS.

If you VTA with any valve, you'll never have perfect drivability.
    But with this valve, you may have issues even when you recirc.

I'd sell it to a newbie and get yourself and MR or GReddy valve.

Blaze

he's driving a turbo k20 though. and he's in indonesia....

hey j_nizzle, you boost about 1.48bar (about 21.7psi) and got no problem with the BOV or whatsoever?

Sorry if i ask too much since I'd really wish to get this problem solves and hopefully my next BOV would be the last bov I buy for the car :P
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />

yep, never had a problem. no stalling issues. i do recirculate it back into the take piping. but either way, that shouldnt affect the performance of the valve whether to recirc or not. i would recommend it to anyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought RSX's used speed density not MAF. Some Honda guy was talking to me about it the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_evo
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought RSX's used speed density not MAF. Some Honda guy was talking to me about it the other day.
    That is correct.

SO,conclusion is if my BOV fu*ked up as it is now, I should get Greddy RS Bov? Any other suggestions? HKS Type 2? or whatsoever? aside from evo stock bov since its hard to find in here

Has anyone ever use SARD R2D2 BOV? coz when i was in US, I didnt even know SARD made bovs...
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />

slow_evo: btw mine is a Honda CRV ... LOL
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />

Quote Originally Posted by rizalhoo
    SO,conclusion is if my BOV fu*ked up as it is now, I should get Greddy RS Bov? Any other suggestions? HKS Type 2? or whatsoever? aside from evo stock bov since its hard to find in here

Has anyone ever use SARD R2D2 BOV? coz when i was in US, I didnt even know SARD made bovs...
    If you do a search for HKS, you'll only find people bitching about it and/or selling them.

The MR valve is quite sufficient for you. If you want a little more bling, go with the GReddy S or RS valves. Pleanty of other valves work, but those are your best bet. Stay away from HKS. And stay the HELL away from the HKS EIDS system.

If you don't like to surf/search, come out to a few meets and see what other people are running. You can't beat real time product feedback. Also you can see/hear/feel how some of the different system look/sound/operate.

-Blaze

Blaze - hehe thanks a lot bro, I used to go to socalevo's meet, mostly those minimeet in west LA, but that was 2004, then I left US on Dec 2004, until now trapped in this fu*ktard country...

Btw in 2004 I heard lots of shitty comment on the Greddy Type S regarding the same shit im having with HKS BOV..thats why at first I'm trying to avoid Greddy BOV, but since you recommend it, so imma give it a shot then, better hope its all good, or its your ass! LOL Kidding bro

anyhow the reason I chose HKS BOV coz I used that in my evo and it gave me no shit...Thanks a lot.

Any new input/comment would be very much appreciated.

Rizal
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />

Blaze - hehe thanks a lot bro, I used to go to socalevo's meet, mostly those minimeet in west LA, but that was 2004, then I left US on Dec 2004, until now trapped in this fu*ktard country...

Btw in 2004 I heard lots of shitty comment on the Greddy Type S regarding the same shit im having with HKS BOV..thats why at first I'm trying to avoid Greddy BOV, but since you recommend it, so imma give it a shot then, better hope its all good, or its your ass! LOL Kidding bro

anyhow the reason I chose HKS BOV coz I used that in my evo and it gave me no shit...Thanks a lot.

Any new input/comment would be very much appreciated.

Rizal
    The GReddy S requires some modifications to work perfectly. It involves removing one of the springs and re-setting the tensioner. The GReddy RS does not require this mod.

Most valves are going to give you grief if you VTA (vent to atmosphere). The S, RS and Mitsu MR valves all recirc and have OEM placement/fitment.

Good luck and check out the PMC section here. You may find a few members selling these valves. (Make certain you inspect the diaphram if you're buying a used valve though)

Blaze

this fitment you are talking about referring to the fitment on the Evo right? just to make sure coz just FYI i dont own/have an evo anymore right now =) used to though...now a bigass CRV

anyhow can the RS be VTA instead of recirc? coz i thought RS comes with VTA, to recirc it you need to buy the recirc kit, am I right?
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />

slow_evo: btw mine is a Honda CRV ... LOL
    So you have a K20 in a CRV? Did I read correctly? When I saw K20 I just assumed you were talking about a RSX. And if you had a RSX it used speed density which in turn you wouldn't have to recirculate your BOV in the first place...correct?

Dude:

My bad, I did not read that part. Hondas use a speed density system. So you can VTA all day long and never have an issue. Pretty much any valve will work and contrary to what I said earlier, I would recomend the HKS SS in this application.

HKS makes an outstanding product. It just so happens that their SS BOV does not work well on the evolution platform.

-Blaze

this fitment you are talking about referring to the fitment on the Evo right? just to make sure coz just FYI i dont own/have an evo anymore right now =) used to though...now a bigass CRV

anyhow can the RS be VTA instead of recirc? coz i thought RS comes with VTA, to recirc it you need to buy the recirc kit, am I right?

btw... it is impossible for an hks to leak. however it will also take a lot of vacuum to open the valve. if you are getting surge, ti's because the valve isn't opening.

try a greddy ti with a dejon tools leak stop kit.

if you must use the hks valve try fiddling with the vacuum spring tension.