Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Canyon riding on Glendora Ridge Road/Glendora Mountain Road

Canyon riding on Glendora Ridge Road/Glendora Mountain Road

Have any of you ever taken your Evo on the Glendora Ridge/Glendora Mountain Road?* I'm planning on going down there this Saturday with my cousin because he wants to take his new Kawasaki Ninja for a spin alongside my Evo.* No racing, just canyon runnin'.* I'm studying an arial map and it looks bitchin'! What were your experiences like?* Anything I should look out for?* I'm tired of the Ortega and want to experience something different for a change* O0
    <br /><br />www.myspace.com/thekoexperience

Re: Canyon riding on Glendora Ridge Road/Glendora Mountain Road

just dont go at mid night
    there are people trying to be initail D there

Quote Originally Posted by k2da_izo
    Have any of you ever taken your Evo on the Glendora Ridge/Glendora Mountain Road? I'm planning on going down there this Saturday with my cousin because he wants to take his new Kawasaki Ninja for a spin alongside my Evo. No racing, just canyon runnin'. I'm studying an arial map and it looks bitchin'! What were your experiences like? Anything I should look out for? I'm tired of the Ortega and want to experience something different for a change O0
    stock

Ortega cant compare with GMR. Ortega is always crowded (it is a highway) and a bunch of popos. GMR is much better, especially weekday mornings. They have one SUV cop that patrols the morning. If you go on the weekedns,. make sure you start the run at 6am, before the tourists and cyclers.
    Looney TUNED!<br /><br />LT: Why are you in 3rd gear? Why don&#039;t you shift to 4th?<br />ME: You have to be ready for the ricers...

How do you get to GMR?

I went a couple of Sat ago...There was alot of dust on the road, Kinda slipery...Wasnt that busy. Ortega isnt bad at real early mornings like Sunday at 6 am, But Gmr some parts are real technical its just a differnt pace thats all. Have fun and be safe. Expecially your friend on the Ninja.

GMR has a bunch of switchbacks and you can fall off (drift off) if you arent carefull. Ortega is mostly wider turns that you take at higher speeds.
    GMR 2-3rd gears usually
    Ortega 3-4th gears
    Looney TUNED!<br /><br />LT: Why are you in 3rd gear? Why don&#039;t you shift to 4th?<br />ME: You have to be ready for the ricers...

get a thomas guide or use google maps. You can't use the normal entrance, but have to finagle with highway 39 to get to it. Fun drive all the way through. I rode through there on bikes for years... If your buddy is a newbie rider, he has no business being on that road. Its very technical and every new rider we had taken there almost ALWAYS overcooked a corner. go through there a few times together in the Evo before taking a bike. The Evo takes that road and eats it alive, but again, its very technical with tight corners that are blind and will become decreasing radius corners. Also watch out for debris. I'll hafta post pictures of a bike I had to haul out of there in my old truck... That was the GOOD crash that didn't do much damage. We had lots of bad crashes.

My roomie and I do midnight runs there often and yes on saturday nights there are other imports which we check out.... Its pretty fun. Like a car night in the mountains.
    the characters and events depicted in this posting are fictional and any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental and unintentional<br /><br />Republicans for Cthulu - He can&#039;t be any worse than the last Republican in office

i exit baseline drive on the 210 or 215 (I dont remember - havent been in a while) YOu may want to ask rsmatt as he live near there.

i used to go up all the time before i got my evo when i tried to go up in my evo it was closed still. they closed it for over a year because of fires and mudslides. it is a twisty course with a lot of tight corners unlike azusa canyon which is a lot faster. there are a few cars that have flown off glendora mt a jetta comes to mind. also one of the last times i was up there a integ flipped over on the back trail pushing too hard his first time there. then his friend in the subie blew his tranny on the way down. fun times and a fun place to drive
    [quote author=Ricardon link=topic=30392.msg6866286#msg6866286 date=1161709458]<br /><br />Moral of the story: don&#039;t laugh at retards, kick their asses instead.<br /><br />[/quote]

I looked it up I cant belive I didnt know about this place. I go up Azusa every once in a while, one of my fav is turnbol (i think thats how you spell it). I havnt gone on a spirited drive because I need new brakes. I should be ready to go next week.

Quote Originally Posted by EVOL EDO
    i used to go up all the time before i got my evo when i tried to go up in my evo it was closed still. they closed it for over a year because of fires and mudslides. it is a twisty course with a lot of tight corners unlike azusa canyon which is a lot faster. there are a few cars that have flown off glendora mt a jetta comes to mind. also one of the last times i was up there a integ flipped over on the back trail pushing too hard his first time there. then his friend in the subie blew his tranny on the way down. fun times and a fun place to drive
    There is a back way using highway 39...
    the characters and events depicted in this posting are fictional and any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental and unintentional<br /><br />Republicans for Cthulu - He can&#039;t be any worse than the last Republican in office

I've been on that road twice, went during the afternoon this sunday, not going fast though, just a cruise to finally check out the road during the day

before that I went between 12am to 4am, lots of people out during that time doing runs

becareful on RMR though, I hit some black ice (from the little creeks by the road) on a blind corner and slid, scary but fun

[
    Quote Originally Posted by x[corwyn
    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOL EDO
    There is a back way using highway 39...
    yeah i know there are a couple of back ways just didnt feel like making the detour so i just went to azusa,* is the front way open now or only backway?
    [quote author=Ricardon link=topic=30392.msg6866286#msg6866286 date=1161709458]<br /><br />Moral of the story: don&#039;t laugh at retards, kick their asses instead.<br /><br />[/quote]

I'm meeting up with my cousin at around 5:00am at the Shilo Inn where the 57 and the 10 meet.* From there on, he'll lead the way to the base of the mountain.* The fact that I won't be going much past 3rd gear is already getting me excited* * By the way, my cousin is a veteran of that road on his old '92 Ninja and when he bought his new Ninja, he was compelled to invite me for a run* O0

I'm loving all the feed back!* What I'll try to do is mount a camera and film for fun.* Any of you do that?

Anyway, here it is: http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Glendora,+CA

Looks like highway 39 starts newr the Azusa Greens Country Club

Last time I did this run was in October and GMR was closed from the main entrance (I think someone mentioned this already). Just be ready for a ~80 mile round trip of twisties since you have to take the back way from Azusa Canyon and backtrack all the way to the beginning once you reach the gate.

And in case you didn't know, there is no cell phone reception in the mountains (as with pretty much all canyons).

Quote Originally Posted by superman105
    just dont go at mid night
    there are people trying to be initail D there

Quote Originally Posted by k2da_izo
    Have any of you ever taken your Evo on the Glendora Ridge/Glendora Mountain Road?* I'm planning on going down there this Saturday with my cousin because he wants to take his new Kawasaki Ninja for a spin alongside my Evo.* No racing, just canyon runnin'.* I'm studying an arial map and it looks bitchin'! What were your experiences like?* Anything I should look out for?* I'm tired of the Ortega and want to experience something different for a change* O0
    + 1,000,000....serious idiots up there at night..... Everyone wants to be Takumi!
    <br /><br />WWW.ROADRACEENGINEERING.COM<br />WWW.MUELLERIZED.COM

Quote Originally Posted by cadawg2000
    Last time I did this run was in October and GMR was closed from the main entrance (I think someone mentioned this already). Just be ready for a ~80 mile round trip of twisties since you have to take the back way from Azusa Canyon and backtrack all the way to the beginning once you reach the gate.

And in case you didn't know, there is no cell phone reception in the mountains (as with pretty much all canyons).
    it was me who said it was closed but it was last summer i went havnt been there in a while, azusa canyon (the backway) was also closed before the top at the time

It's a fun road, but be careful. Lots of places where you can go off quickly.

Here is a fun drive I did about three weeks ago ....

http://www.ducatigirl.com/california/anzaborrego.html

It's intense. O0

-nurb2-

Quote Originally Posted by nurb2

It's intense. O0

-nurb2-
    Wow...I've got to check this one out next.

Quote Originally Posted by nurb2

It's intense. O0

-nurb2-
    +1 be careful because you can go off quick and easy, a lot of the turns turn harder and longer than they seem when you are approaching

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast