Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To header or not to header.....yes, I have searched.....

To header or not to header.....yes, I have searched.....

So, I need some opinions for my IX.

I am going to be getting a 3" TBE, MBC, and Dynoflash when they come out here in Sept. Should I get a new header and o2 housing while Im at it? I dont want to have to get reflashed later.

I have searched a plenty and have seen 15ish HP gains with the header. I really dont plan on modding the evo much past what is listed above. I dont know if 15-20 hp is worth the $225 (Megan or Maxford) plus whatever the o2 housing runs. What would you guys do?

For the hell of it, again, I am torn between the RNR 3" TBE with HFC and Magnaflow ($725) or the Tanabe Concept G Blue TBE ($830). Help me break the tie between these two.

Looking for performance more than anything, want more power for my daily driver, nothing crazy. Reason for these two choices, RNR is local and cheap, and Tanabe is $100 more and looks nicer.

Thanks

Re: To header or not to header.....yes, I have searched.....

SEARCH. what exactly are you looking to do? do you want top end? drag? autox? why are you debating between the rnr and the tanabe? What's a header I think you mean exhust manifold. and why dynoflash?
    Jesse Sez: If you're ever in a midget-tossing contest, always go for the happy midget. It is definitely much harder to toss them when they're unhappy

id say no on the header. dont think they make that much power and too much bling for the cops to write u a ticket. to me not worth it. also, do a search on dynoflash before you spend you're money. my 02cents
    www.500whp.com<br />www.muellerized.com<br />www.Lot-usa.com<br />www.Monster-Sport.com

Go to RRE before u do anything.

Dynoflush lol..........
    RRE Stage 2+ Scot Gray tuned!<br />Muellerized Stage 1

Road Race or Tuning Technologies O0 dont waste your money on the header? its not a Honda...the stock one is perfect!
    <br /><br />WWW.ROADRACEENGINEERING.COM<br />WWW.MUELLERIZED.COM

I think for the price of a tubular header you can get a ported stock exhaust manifold from Buschur. It would be very low key and you wouldn't have to worry about cracking. As far as power goes - I've only seen one dyno of a tubular header and it lost a bunch of power down low but it made like 11hp up top. Search on evolutionm.net. Buschur did a test of many different products on his dyno.
    どうも!ハード・ゲイです!フォー !

when you get the turbo dropped just get your stock manifold ported and polished. that'll get you some gains and it'll retain the stock look and durability. o2 housing do make power too, and the fitment and durability is what you'll have to choose between with the ones on teh market today.

I started of with a jic header and ended up going back to the stock manifold with a port and polish. Stock manifold with a port and polish is great and unnoticeable to cops. also i would recommend safc over dynoflash in the past i heard a lot of complaints... your choice though
    [size=30pt]
    BAN - KAI
    [/size]

You can also have someone tune your ECU with EcuFlash (www.openecu.org)
    That way you can always change it yourself later on
    どうも!ハード・ゲイです!フォー !

Evo Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tabio42
    You can also have someone tune your ECU with EcuFlash (www.openecu.org)
    That way you can always change it yourself later on
    +1

Terry S
    [quote author=Ricardon link=topic=15177.msg6617356#msg6617356 date=1132790185]<br />Just about the most relevant post I have ever seen on this board...EVER!* Terry S not only wins the thread, he wins the board...I humbly bow out.<br />[/quote]<br />[quote author=ultraflip link=topic=7103.msg6679340#msg6679340 date=1142880156]<br />HAHAHHAA... TERRY PWNZ ALLLL!!! i bow[/quote]

Apart from the cops seeing what you have under the bonnet and the header being flashy, what power difference is there between a port and polish or aftermarket header?

Nice way to revive a thred that's over a year old!
    <br /><br />WWW.ROADRACEENGINEERING.COM<br />WWW.MUELLERIZED.COM

what to do.... I try my best...

Quote Originally Posted by LennyLennox
    what power difference is there between a port and polish or aftermarket header?
    The bigger the turbo, the bigger the difference. With a stock turbo, not too much. With a Green, the results should be better.
    Subaru owners are a bunch of vaginas --Forced Performance on NASIOC

I run the Full Race Prostreet header and it spools the turbo much faster and seems to have more power. I am going to DLL and dyno in the next week or two so I can report the exact benifits. It really changed how the car sounds, deeper and smoother sounding.
    EVO IX with lots of parts

^^^ the bigger the turbo, the bigger the difference....for port and polish or aftermarket?

lol real old, but you're asking. gj.
    3&quot; Straight Pipe(no cat and muffler), Intake, Fuel Pump, Boost Controller, Tune.<br />

Evolved
    Cars
    2007 BMW M5 2004 Evo 8 GSR, 1987 Porsche 928 S4

Just upgrade. Bigger turbo. meaning new "Header" either way.
    1WkdNga

Quote Originally Posted by ev0ninerr
    ^^^ the bigger the turbo, the bigger the difference....for port and polish or aftermarket?

lol real old, but you're asking. gj.
    The bigger the turbine wheel, the less backpressure and more flow. The differences between the OEM and tubular will be smaller on the OEM turbo. On a Green, the improvement should be bigger. For a more scientific explanation, ask Aby 'cause he's the one who explained it to me :)

Most aftermarket turbos not based on the stocker have tubular manifolds, except for some Buschur kits (The HAFE doesn't count because it's kinda like a cast tubular mani).
    Subaru owners are a bunch of vaginas --Forced Performance on NASIOC

I think making very generalized statements like that can be misleading. I think if the turbine is backpressure bound and approaching choke, a header with more discrete separation of pulses might work pretty well.
    EVO IX with lots of parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast