Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ALL you need to know about brakes, lines pads

05 brake light

my brake like used to flicker. Then i checked my brake fluid and it was low. Filled it no more flickering brake light.

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution

05 brake light

its not a flicker its the delay, i had my eye on it the first night. i remember a thread here about it.

Sportback Evolution MR

05 brake light

Macky this is the only one I could find....

http://www.socalevo.net/forums/viewt...ighlight=worky

But I know the one you're talking about....someone explained how to adjust the sensor yourself....but it's your brand new MR...just have HB do it tomorrow bro :D
    si viene, bien...si no, también...

lost brake pedal pressure

I was at streets yesterday, and my brake pedal basically lost pressure while i was on the track. Luckily it happened on the cool down lap.

I was using the Road Race Performance Friction 95's with MOtul and SS brake lines.

Was i boiling my fluid? The past couple times at the track, the brake fluid seemed to overflow just as it did yeesterday, but i had never lost pedal pressure before.

Everything's fine now, but im a bit worried about the next time i go to the track. Was the fluid just getting too hot or should i be looking for another problem?
    <br /><br />www.trojanmotorsports.com

when the peddle is soft and wont stop car like it should its boiling fluid
    when the peddle feels fine and car doesnt stop like it should its the pads

Quote Originally Posted by jondukes
    when the peddle is soft and wont stop car like it should its boiling fluid
    when the peddle feels fine and car doesnt stop like it should its the pads
    ok it looks like it was just boiling the fluid then.

the pedal was indeed soft when the car wasn't stopping like it should, and when it DID feel normal, the car was stopping just fine.

Thanks for the help.

By the by, i thought it was strange also b/c the pedal pressure would only go soft every other time i stepped on the brake pedal, it wasn't failing every time. Anyone know why?

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution

have you had your brake fluid changed lately? you may have some air pockets in the system causing that occasional slop. have it done properly, have Rob (Coolguy949) do it, and you wont be disappointed :D

Sportback Evolution MR

definently once its boiled it must be changed,also over time (especially with air in the lines)the fluid picks up water and makes it much easier to boil and much less effective

Same thing happened to me after I broke in my rotors. Any suggestion on what kind of brake fluid for a mostly street evo? I was thinking ATE blue or stock OEM. Something with low moisture absorbtion.

ive used motul rbf 600 since my first 500 miles, you cant go wrong with it (doesn't need to be hot to work,but works damn good when it is) you can get it at any motorcycle dealer

trinydex: a caveat that i want to add in here is that you can go wrong with it. you are not suppose to leave a fluid like motul in the system for too long. it gathers water and rusts everything inside. if you're going to run motul bleed every 3 months AT LEAST. otherwise use a more friendly fluid like ate super blue.

Administrator

Cars
    2003 Evo

Re: lost brake pedal pressure

Quote Originally Posted by alex_alex
    I was at streets yesterday, and my brake pedal basically lost pressure while i was on the track. Luckily it happened on the cool down lap.

I was using the Road Race Performance Friction 95's with MOtul and SS brake lines.

Was i boiling my fluid? The past couple times at the track, the brake fluid seemed to overflow just as it did yeesterday, but i had never lost pedal pressure before.

Everything's fine now, but im a bit worried about the next time i go to the track. Was the fluid just getting too hot or should i be looking for another problem?
    What do you mean it lost pressure? Did it go all the way to the ground? Did the car still stop?

Rob
    http://www.twitter.com/RobLescaille

"The only thing you have to remember about an evo though, is that to get the best out of it, you need to go beyond the line where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn in to this hairpin bend at 100 miles per hour? Why not. What's gonna happen? Nothing!" - Top Gear

Administrator

Cars
    2003 Evo

Quote Originally Posted by Macky
    did you look under the hood if the fluid was indeed boiling? even if the system does fail, it should revert to the full manual, unassisted mode (hard pedal pressure) unless, like aforementioned, the fluid is boiling like hot water.
    Well, you wouldnt really see it boiling unless it was really bad i would guess. What happens is the fluid gets so hot it starts creating air bubbles throughout the brake system. These bubbles cause a degenrated braking performance when you're trying to build pressure in the system because they contract like little cushions and dont keep the pressure firm and constant. The only way to get them out is by flushing out the old fluid. That's why boiled fluid needs to be taken out.

"The only thing you have to remember about an evo though, is that to get the best out of it, you need to go beyond the line where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn in to this hairpin bend at 100 miles per hour? Why not. What's gonna happen? Nothing!" - Top Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy949

What do you mean it lost pressure? Did it go all the way to the ground? Did the car still stop?

Rob
    Yeah, the pedal went all the way to the ground, and stopped a little bit (i was just lucky it only happened on the cool down lap entering the chicane at streets, so it wasn't that dangerous of a sitatuation. But yeah, the pedal just lost pressure, it would barely stop, but then pressure would come back again.

I just bought some more Motul 600 and im gonna bleed it before Streets on the 18th.

Administrator

Cars
    2003 Evo

Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy949

Rob
    Yeah, the pedal went all the way to the ground, and stopped a little bit (i was just lucky it only happened on the cool down lap entering the chicane at streets, so it wasn't that dangerous of a sitatuation. But yeah, the pedal just lost pressure, it would barely stop, but then pressure would come back again.

I just bought some more Motul 600 and im gonna bleed it before Streets on the 18th.
    Do you keep the car running when you bleed the brakes? That's very interesting brake pedal stopped completely. Did it stay without pressure if you kept trying to press the brake or only for one push? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to narrow it down to what it could be.

Brake Mod or Not??

I've been looking into uprading the rotors on my Evo and was wondering what set-ups everyone is running. I've heard of a few people running the stock calipers with upgraded rotors, pads, brake lines and fluid. I've heard that once those parts have been changed out the, the car stops in a heart beat and stops as well as a big brake kit would.

I personally think that would be a great set up and would also save me a nice amount of cash. What do you guys think, should I do this "Brake-Mod" or wait a while and go with a big brake kit.

Brake Mod or Not??

depends what are you using the car for?

Brake Mod or Not??

4 different rotor systems the stock calipers are good but the Stoptech's are worth the extra $$$'s

Brake Mod or Not??

???

the evo has 2nd best braking next to an enzo? I say the stock is good enough, the brake pads is probably the only thing that's weaksauce.
    [size=14px]Stay away from Dynoflash if you don't want get screwed.[/size]
    <br />

Brake Mod or Not??

Thanks for all the replies...

I'm trying to get the car ready for track but it is obviously still my daily driver. I'm just looking into all my options before I make a decision. Not that I have complaints about the stock brakes, I would just like a little more "umph."

Any more feedback??

Brake Mod or Not??

Quote Originally Posted by Edward M
    Thanks for all the replies...

I'm trying to get the car ready for track but it is obviously still my daily driver. I'm just looking into all my options before I make a decision. Not that I have complaints about the stock brakes, I would just like a little more "umph."

Any more feedback??
    I recommend going to stainless steel lines, Motul 600 fluid, and some PF "95.7" street/track pads. That should do you very well for your goal.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast