Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT Driveline Fluid MegaMerge

EDIT AGAIN: Where do i find 75/85 GL-4 fluid for the t-case?

the louder noise didnt start after i put in one of your x-clutches. Actually i did get some louder ambient noise but thats not what i mean. About 2-3 months ago my clutch was dropped with no slip at about 5k rpm. not racing, just poor anger management. After that i got this horrible metal scraping sound for about 200 yards. After that there was no problem for the next few hundred miles. Then i got the LOUD howling sound about 500 miles later, which is now fixed. But once i hit decent boost in first or second gear i get a "VERY" loud metal scraping sound. By very loud i mean very very loud. Not just "wow thats an annoying sound" i mean "Holy shit what the hell was that!" kind of sound. When i let off the gas it goes away. The shops i checked were ur average pepboys/autozone/kraigen/napaa type shops not tuner shops. I would love to come over to u guys again but thats a killer trip. I've seen u guys before. Actually Mike im pretty sure u drove my car. I had the black evo with the x-clutch that wouldnt let me change gears at high rpms untill u guys adjusted the pedal for me. Anyway it seems im going to have to make the trip to see you guys. U think you would have time to take my car for a quick spin so you can hear the noise for yourself and tell me if im gonna have to rape my wallet? I would really appretiate it. THANKS!
    Stay away from Dynoflash if you dont wanna get screwed.<br /> If u want ur headlights blacked out ill charge $130 to do it.

Redline heavy shockproof or lightweight shockproof??

i live in LA and wondering which shockproof i should use in my T-case thanks~

you want the heavy shockproof.

I used the heavy shockproof and I got grinding noises at low speed. Switched to stock fluids and no more noise. i want to try the Redline again, but I'm afraid of the noise.

heavy in the t-case and 75W90 in the rear diff...works just fine. RREs advice as well.
    &quot;...otherwise this is all a moo point.&nbsp; It&#039;s like a cow&#039;s opinion, it doesn&#039;t matter...it&#039;s moo.&quot;<br /><br />SUCK MY SHAUN BEATCHEZZZ!!<br /><br />[quote author=evomrguy link=topic=2955.msg6763128#msg6763128 date=1150266308]Tarek, it kinda sucked that we almost got larryd by the po on the way to the meet huh?&nbsp; We cant cruise anywhere together, we always seem to turn it into a race day.[/quote]<br /><br />&quot;...I&#039;m lowered!!!&quot;

Quote Originally Posted by kimletrim
    I used the heavy shockproof and I got grinding noises at low speed. Switched to stock fluids and no more noise. i want to try the Redline again, but I'm afraid of the noise.
    I have the same problem, I will switch to motul...

Just switched to Motul today.....much better than redline.
    reduce noise, smoother and the noise on the LSD is gone.
    JDM rocks.....

Redline lists the heavy shockproof as SAE 250 grade. You're suppossed to use 90. Talk about ruining your drivetrain.

just use the oem stuff

EDIT AGAIN: Where do i find 75/85 GL-4 fluid for the t-case?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W
    And just to keep you thoroghly confused, your FRONT DIFFERENTIAL is inside the transfer case but is lubricated by the transmission oil. The CENTER DIFFERENTIAL is inside the transmission and also is lubricated by the transmission oil. Only the ring and pinion of the transfer case get lubbed by what ever oil you have inside your transfer case. The VISCOUS COUPLER happens to also live inside the transfer case but it has it's own special silicon based goo sealed inside.

Mike W
    I am a brand spanking new 2005 EVO owner. I have a question and would appreciate your help. As you know the 2005 come with a Helical front LSD. Since the tranny fluid lubes the front diff, is the BG syncroshift still recommended for the 2005 EVO? Some say that the BG is very runny, for lack of a better name. Is that good enough for a helical diff that generates heat?

I have a FWD SE-R with a Quaife installed in the tranny. Our community has found that Shockprrof Heavy is the best tranny fluid to use to preserve the tranny of our hard driven cars. Do you recommend the use of ShockProof Heavy in the EVO 2005 tranny/front diff? (I am assuming that s you stated the tranny fluid also lubes the front diff)
    2010 VW Golf TDI
    2007 Honda S2000

Re: EDIT AGAIN: Where do i find 75/85 GL-4 fluid for the t-c

Quote Originally Posted by Evo-8
    EDIT: I can't find 75/85 GL-4 fluid for my t-case thought i was able to find 75/95 GL-5 for my rear differential. Mitsu doesnt have it and neither does pepboys or autozone. Anyone? Also i dont wanna order it online unless i have no choice but im sure if our cars need it, someone sells the shit.
    Mike W is correct........

BTW, if you still need it, we carry the Mitsubishi facotry Diaqueen TC fluid in stock.

Good luck

Driveline Fluid MegaMerge

Engine Oil
    Transmission
    Center Differential?
    Rear Differential?
    Transfer Case?
    Break fluid

Anything else???? ?Please let me know!

changing drive train fluids

so I purchased the following fluids from RRE, 3qts of BG Synchroshift 1, 3qts of Redline Heavy Weight Shock Proof, 1qt of Redline 75w90

I know for sure that the BG Synchroshift is for the tranny and will be following this guide on changing it:
    http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=2&tech_id=26

for the transfer case i'll be following:
    http://www.evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPath=2&tech_id=25

but for the transfer case and rear diff, I'm not sure which of the oils was supposed to be put in the transfercase and rear diff, the shock proof or the 75w90?

all this on a 05 GSR

Re: changing drive train fluids

75W90 in the rear diff.

Here are two guides I have bookmarked ...

Rear Diff
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=54218

Tranny/Xfer/Diff
    http://www.norcalevo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=392

-nurb2-

Re: changing drive train fluids

hey those are good links, thanks!

I did more searching (different words) and found a bunch of threads like this one I started with my questions already answered

anyhow, time to start the flush, thanks again.

for future searchers, the results I found were:

Tranny: BG Synchroshift
    Transfercase: Redline Heavy Shock Proof
    Rear Diff: Redline 75w90

didnt use friction modifier

Ok, I changed all my fluids about 4k miles ago, and just read today that I was supposed to use friction modifier in my rear diff., which I did not do. I am going to change it out, and add it , but could this have done any damage? And is redline still the best to use, or is the general consensus that I should use mitsu stuff.

Re: didnt use friction modifier

wait, does anyone know if shockproof heavy weight has the friction modifier already in it??? I was just reading and someone said to use the redline fluid that already has it..... Im assuming this is it??? and when people use the same fluid for the tc and rear diff. is when u need to add the friction modifier to the rear???

i put that stuff in my old tranny. works well. another thing be carefull it smells really bad. If you use aftermarket fluid, don't worry about it.
    <br /><br />[size=10pt]Tuning, Installation, Services/maintenance[/size]<br /><br />[quote author=wj4 link=topic=2189.msg6822683#msg6822683 date=1156809182]<br />yes charlie will drive your car as if he was playing it on gran turismo 4. but there is no restart button.[/quote]<br />[quote author=robi link=topic=33026.msg6896425#msg6896425 date=1165355690]<br /> racing is about WHO shows up.........not who talks later.<br />[/quote]

ok, I just read that the redline 75w 90 gear oil already has the fricion modifier in it.....And that is what I read that most people are putting in both their tc, and rear diff. So does anyone know if the Heavy shockproof needs friction modifier?

Yes, hte heavy shockproof stuff needs the friction modifier.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast