Thread: stock clutch, shifting/shifters and your transmission

stock clutch, shifting/shifters and your transmission

i'm bored so i thot i'd drop some info i've compiled about the subject from various threads.

shifter kits. in my personal opinion and experience. the 15% reduced throw ones are perfect. don't bother getting the one where you have to hack the shifter base to get it to work. i did it... it just increased the shifting effort too much which translates into a slower shift and more likelyhood of grinding harder if you do miss cuz you're hamfisting it so much more. it'd be nice if they made the shift stick longer, but then that would just be like a lambo shifter (which isn't a bad thing).

the bottom line is this. i didn't wanna say this but here it is. i sort of regret getting a short shifter. the shift bushings aren't the problem. i'd replace the rubber shifter base bushings... but prolly not the shift linkage bushings and if i had to, i would use polyurathane.

why? well the rubber bushes actually buy you some time for the synchros to mesh, since there's is some play in the shift you don't notice that the synchros haven't quite hooked up yet and you can keep pulling without doing any grind worthy actions. i've become a better shifter due to the solid bushings... because i can feel every little thing happening. is this great for dailiy driving though? not really. in fact it contantly has me scared that i'm gonna push too hard or something. you can feel every gate, every actuation, and you can feel the grinds before they happen. with rubber bushings... this would never be the case... and you could be a lot more care free.

the fact is... in the early days of evos all these people were trying to get rid of the 1-2 grind notchiness. they tried all the snake oils under the sun. shifter bushings, short shifters, base bushings, tranny fluids, etc etc. the fact is the 1-2 shift is caused by a LOT of things. tranny fluid being one of the main reasons, the stock clutch's slowness to respond being another and lastly the rocking of the motor being the most annoying contributor. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SHIFTERS.

case in point? i drove my friend's car with an act clutch, an ingalls stiffy set to full soft and ALL STOCK BUSHINGS. he even had the stock tranny fluid. the shifting was amazing (at least much more so than my all solid setup with proper fluids).

so save up yer pennies and get a good fluid change to bg synchroshift reference the driveline faq for more info. get a nice clutch from someone proven, act or exedy. get the ralliart motor mounts. get them all installed when you wear out your clutch. (that minimizes the labor costs)

clutch lines

i think the biggest benefit is that while you're doing the install you can remove the clutch restrictor in the clutch master cylinder. precise pedal movement to engagement, i used to have trouble driving my car very lean, feathering the clutch was difficult because there was a delay. now i can actually kill my car for a moment and as soon as i put the clutch down 1cm it saves it, it's THAT much more precise!

a convo with mike w

Quote Originally Posted by trinydex
    a question, do you guys know why the stock clutch releases so slowly and engages so funny even with braided clutch line and the restrictor removed? is there something lazy about the pressure plate? i suspect the no namer has this problem very well sorted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W
    I'm not sure exactly what you are experiencing, bring it by the shop sometime and we can feel it out. I wouldnt charactize them all like that, especially after the mods you mention.

The stock casting on the pressure plate is not held in place very well for it's size. It can dance around a bit either on release or when it releases on a high PM shift. This leads to the many problems encountered by EVO peoples. 95% of perceived EVO clutch problems can be fixed by playing with the adjustment, driving less like a teenager and not being such a sissy.

Mike W
    Quote Originally Posted by trinydex
    i guess i ask because a lot of people report "faster shifting" with the aftermarket clutches out there. i attributed this to faster disengagement and more postive engagement and possibly flywheel weight. but it could be in their heads as when you install a new clutch it get a clutch pedal adjustment.

i guess i'm just trying to get to the bottom of why my shifting is so slow. i don't want to hamfist the tranny so i don't force it, but sometimes it takes so long for everything to line up and throw in. just wondering if any of it has to do with the clutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W
    Jut like every EVO that leaves the factory needs an alignemnt by just about anyone that isnt on crack, just about every EVO can use a little clutch adjustment.

Mike W

Cars
    EBP Evo IX

Re: stock clutch, shifting/shifters and your transmission

Hey i got a question, i had my clutch and flywheel changed to the Exedy stage 1 and i get a 3rd and 5th gear grind when im trying to shift fast. So i went and got a engine damper and i noticed a little change but not what i wanted. I even removed the pill from the bleeder and still not saticfied. Do you think its because of the cheap ass fluid they put in my trany? And if so what brand and weight do you recomend?
    C-SPEC TUNED E85/91, FP Black, ETS equal length mani, Built 2.3L, Eagle crank, Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons, Balance shaft delete, ACL race bearings, Cosworth M2s, Cosworth HRPM valve springs, Supertech 1mm over valves, My Race ported head, Spoolinup COP, FIC2150cc, Double pumper, AEM intake, Hallman boost, MILSPEC 65mm TB, My Ported intake mani, Buschur O2 housing, Invidia dp, RRE rally cat, Apexi Worldsport 2, Buschur intercooler, ETS UICP, WeaponR LICP, Synapse DV, ECT..

you put cheap fluid in your tranny?????

^^^what are some good brands tranny fluids????
    SHAKE AND BAKE!!!

BG SYNCRO SHIFT its good stuff we always put it in for tranny services

check the faq section. there's a sticky.

hey trinyDex... how do you feel about the ingalls stiffy being added to the mix?.. i have had the 5th..4th.. and gate issues with my 3rd.. but southcoast fixed all that.. and bg syncro is butter to the tranny... but i wanted to know if the ingalls stiffy takes some of the stress off the tranny so i can slow down the grind from happening ever again.....
    Now that is how you drive.. from now on.. I want you to drive like that..... -Bad Boys I,II,III,ect...<br />

i'd get a motor mount. i have the one from roadraceengeering

Cars
    EBP Evo IX

where can you get BG SYNCRO SHIFT at? im using Mobile 1 tranny fluid
    C-SPEC TUNED E85/91, FP Black, ETS equal length mani, Built 2.3L, Eagle crank, Eagle rods, Wiseco pistons, Balance shaft delete, ACL race bearings, Cosworth M2s, Cosworth HRPM valve springs, Supertech 1mm over valves, My Race ported head, Spoolinup COP, FIC2150cc, Double pumper, AEM intake, Hallman boost, MILSPEC 65mm TB, My Ported intake mani, Buschur O2 housing, Invidia dp, RRE rally cat, Apexi Worldsport 2, Buschur intercooler, ETS UICP, WeaponR LICP, Synapse DV, ECT..

just get redline fluids. they're available locally cuz they're based in benicia

Cars
    EBP Evo IX

okay, thanks for the help!

If you're near Santa Fe Springs, RRE carrys BG Synchroshift.

Quote Originally Posted by trinyDeX
    just get redline fluids. they're available locally cuz they're based in benicia
    shit... i didnt know this was socalevo

Cars
    EBP Evo IX

thanks for the info

Cars
    Mitsubishi Ralliart Sportback/ Honda Ej
    Not sure if any one can maybe answer my question in here .

I have a SST clutch just wanna throw that out there not sure if it's slipping but when I am on 1 or second gear it seems like my RPMS are normal but my RPM needle it tends to sorta move up and down like if power sorta cuts off and a sound like when you change gears on a 6 speed bike not like dramatic but a little when I change gears from 1st to 2nd but then the rest it sorta feels smooth but I look at my needle and it does it a bit also but less on the rest of the gears my boost drops faster it still boost and all but it looks out of sync with boost and RPMS I have not done my SST twin tran fluid/Oil change for a minute I will be getting it done on Tuesday . What do you think it is ? can a Boost leak be the reason as well ? or time to change Trans? I had planned to do a bolt on tune once I find out the problem I do not wanna do anything till this has been resolved. Feed back would be appreciated . Thanks !
    Last edited by Kristian562; 01-14-2015 at 02:48 PM.

Cars
    '14 Evo X MR, '06 TSX, '99 Prelude
    It definitely sounds like it is slipping. Does the rpm randomly jump when you are in gear, or does it only jump when you upshift? How many miles? If you've never did a sst fluid change, you are probably way over due by now. Changing fluid and filter should make a big difference. Use the OEM fluid only.

Cars
    Dodrio
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristian562 View Post
    Not sure if any one can maybe answer my question in here .

I have a SST clutch just wanna throw that out there not sure if it's slipping but when I am on 1 or second gear it seems like my RPMS are normal but my RPM needle it tends to sorta move up and down like if power sorta cuts off and a sound like when you change gears on a 6 speed bike not like dramatic but a little when I change gears from 1st to 2nd but then the rest it sorta feels smooth but I look at my needle and it does it a bit also but less on the rest of the gears my boost drops faster it still boost and all but it looks out of sync with boost and RPMS I have not done my SST twin tran fluid/Oil change for a minute I will be getting it done on Tuesday . What do you think it is ? can a Boost leak be the reason as well ? or time to change Trans? I had planned to do a bolt on tune once I find out the problem I do not wanna do anything till this has been resolved. Feed back would be appreciated . Thanks !
    What?! that is one long sentence... Im not entirely sure what you're saying. Is RPM jumping when you are doing pulls or at idle?

Waka waka - I'm a slowpoke
    Doc Mosh #1 fan boy

Cars
    2006 Evo IX SE / 2010 Civic DX
    Quote Originally Posted by kambodianboi View Post
    What?! that is one long sentence... Im not entirely sure what you're saying. Is RPM jumping when you are doing pulls or at idle?
    Pretty sure why people dont respond...not worth trying to understand! haha

Is this happening at start up? Is the tranny fully warmed up? Did you fondle her junk? How much is the needle jumping? what is your current mileage? How long ago was a flush performed?

zeRep
    cl_modifications 0

What do you think it is ? can a Boost leak be the reason as well ? or time to change Trans? I like it