Thread: HOW TO: remove rear bumper AND install evo 9 rear bumper

HOW TO: remove rear bumper AND install evo 9 rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by jbigelow
    here is my technique for removing the rear bumper and installing the evo9 rear bumper.

do this at your own risk.Â* of course, a body shop would be a better alternative.

1)open trunk and remove the rear trunk plastic fascia.

you have to remove the plastic fasteners by pulling outward.

then pull up on each side of the the trunk latch to remove the plastic fascia.

2) remove screws from inside the trunk to rear bumper (should be 4)

3)remove the rear taillights

remove the 2 screws on the inside side, then pull out and away, then disconnect harness

then remove the screw and plastic rivet screw from the bottom of where the rear taillights were that connect to the rear bumper.

4) remove the side covers inside the trunk and remove the 1 screw on each side that connect the bumper

5)remove side markers and detach from harness

6)remove the 2 screws from the rear wheel well

7)underneath the rear bumper, remove the 3 plastic clips that secure the bumper to the rear crash beam

here is pic of 2 of them removed

8)remove the bumper (first pull the sides off, then pull from the rear)Â* don;t forget to disconnect the harness for the license plate lights and rear side lights.

9)we can not use the foam padding anymore, but we need to use the stock bumper retainer.

it is held in place by rivets.Â* you will need to drill them out (18 rivets in all)

here is a pic with mike from gruppe-s holding the bumper retainer

10)well here is where i forgot to take pix.Â* you need to put the bumper retainer on the new bumper.Â* the new bumper comes with supplied rivets, but you need to use a riveter.Â* you can get a nice craftsmen professional one for $30 from SEARS, a pretty good one from OSH/TRUE VALUE for $20, or a cheap one from HARBOR FREIGHTÂ* for $7-$15.

11)once the bumper retainer is installed, you now need to zip tie the rear side marker harness since our new bumper doesn't have them anymore.

12)the rear license plate holder does not fit right anymore, son you need to be creative with this.Â* the license plate lights will not sit under the hole anymore without cutting and welding, so all i did was bend the license frame holder a little and had the lights come out.Â* you will have to drill your rear license plate 2" down from the top hole so that you can screw in your license plate.Â* also, i will be spray painting my rear license plate lights except for a rectangle in the bottom so that it will not be too bright.

13) remove the rear crash beam (2 bolts on each side)

14)now reverse the steps and throw on that new EVO IX rear bumper

NOTE:
    since our car is USDM, cal and i are trying to see if the tow hook cover fits for our cars since we have a big rear tow hook

Re: HOW TO: remove rear bumper AND install evo 9 rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by burningmoney97 View Post
    jbigelow did a great how 2 = http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=141111
    but left out a few minor details that i had trouble with

1. this truck piece has four 10mm nuts that need to be removed to get the bumper off.

u need a 10mm deep well socket to get them off easily. its still possible to use a 10mm wrench, but very difficult

2. i used a 1/8 inch drill bit to get the stock bracket / retainer off the stock rear bumper

and then some needle nose pliers to remove the stock rivets after drilling

retainer removed

- remove the rear license plate lights (2) from the bracket that holds them.

pic of stock bumper retainer on new evo 9 bumper
    as you can tell the license plate holder needs some modification

3. remove the flat bracket piece that holds the license plate
    now you can either do this while on the new bumper , on the old bumper , or off both. i did it while on the new bumper, a mistake on my part, cause i slightly scratch it. removing it on the old bumper would be the easiest

how 2 remove the bracket.
    drill the rivets out to remove the flate plate from the two curved arms

the plate (bracket) removed , as well as the 2 black pieces that hold the actual license plate

now bend the two curved arms back. so they are vertical. or in line with the bumper

now place the removed bracket on the bent arms and position its location to whatever height you want the license plate

after you have found your desired height , mark the bent arms through the pre-existing holes on the plate (bracket). then drill the bent arms. be sure to drill about the same size holes as the original ones that are located on the plate (bracket).

before riveting the new location for the license plate. re-attach the (2) plate lights and relocate the wires so they dont get in the way.

- rivet the bracket

with a flat head screwdriver, pry open some space to fit the black pieces that hold the actual license plate to the frame

what it should kinda look like when done

license plate frame helps hide the giant hole

feel free to pm , or reply for any other questions

i little thing that i forgot to do when i installed my VIII bumper is, before you zip tie the rear side marker connectors wrap them the connector with some electrical tape or something else, so that water doesnt get in and short it.
    www.500whp.com<br />www.muellerized.com<br />www.Lot-usa.com<br />www.Monster-Sport.com

I thought the annoying part was drilling out all the rivets from the old bumper to reuse the retainer. It would be easiest just to buy another retainer at the dealer in my opinion.

Also, if your JDM bumper did not come with rivets, you will need a box of 4 mm (5/32") medium sized rivets.

honestly, what do you need the retainer for?
    Integra-R sold<br />RSX-S sold<br />TSX daily<br />EVO IX sold<br />E46M3 debuting weekend warrior

To give your bumper support.

for those who wish to buy the retainer

The license plate light is connected to the crash beam? Just pull her off there?
    ETS Black FMIC, Nisei Piping, Perrin Intake, Buschur TBE, Walbro Pump, Swift Springs<br />BBK Full, NON CDI Sparktech, FIC 1400cc, 3port, Camgear, Cosworth Dual-springs

Give this technique a try. Let you know how it woiks! Peace!

just picked up a jdm bumper

Install was a success, but a complete pain. Give yourself a decent amount of time to complete and if you bend the liscence plate support make sure you don't screw up the alignment of your 4 10 mill screws.

where can we get the 4mm medium sized rivets? my jdm didnt come with a pack of them. searched lowe's and home depot and they either dont have them or have that certain size. hmm..where else can i look?

Quote Originally Posted by todaysivxx
    where can we get the 4mm medium sized rivets? my jdm didnt come with a pack of them. searched lowe's and home depot and they either dont have them or have that certain size. hmm..where else can i look?
    mitsubishi dealership.
    http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/1291162441232.gif?w=342&amp;h=336

Cars
    GG 9 MR. 08 Civic Hybrid

Thanks for this write up, used this to uninstall my usdm and install my jdm.

Should be picking up a jdm bumper next week! This write up will sure help

thanks for the info

Cars
    2003 Evo 8, 2014 Charger AWD (family car), 1997 Mustang Cobra SVT (DD), 1998 Mustang Cobra SVT Vortech Supercharger (Weekend Drag car)
    Last edited by EvoMr420; 08-24-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    Wtb Evo 8/9 Oem Tb hood
    Wtb AUTHENTIC! TB Jdm rear bumper

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2003 Evo VIII BBY, 04 Taco (DD)
    great write up