Thread: HOW TO: properly USE socalevo.net

HOW TO: properly USE socalevo.net

if you are new and you don't know a lot about cars, socalevo.net is a huge resource where you can learn all you can possibly digest about the lancer evolution.

we have very functional how to and tech article forum that covers a broad range of topics from do it yourself to how stuff works.

so how do you properly do research on such an informative forum???

step 1

search.

search is too diffuse? use " " to capture phrases you'd like to read about. go into the forum you think is most likely to contain that information and search there or use the advanced search function to search a few forums.

step 2

search related criteria and subject matter that you don't understand.

this is what diffuse searches are good for AND WHAT RE-SEARCHES are good for.

step 3

once you have some grasp of what's going on, post in an existing thread that has a subscribed audience talking about the subject in which you wish to clarify details about. or if you have a specific question for a specific person in one of these threads use the pm function!

step 4

once you've learned a lot more than you think the forum has accumulated (data wise) post a new thread discussing in depth the subject that you learned about.

IF YOU HAVE NOT advanced well beyond the data already accumulated in the forum and you still have questions YOU CAN STILL CONTRIBUTE. post links to other research you've done. post PICTURES or SOUND CLIPS of what you are describing, ESPECIALLY IF IT IS HELP RELATED!!! (no one wants to hear the same old question about downpipe rattle. definitely no one wants to read about downpipe rattle in an ambiguous description posted online where people can hardly read words let alone read minds, post a picture your problems will be solved faster).

step 5

once such a subject has advanced to a high degree of informative performance bring it to the attention of one of the moderators (with a personal message) that it should be placed in an advanced section, made into a how to/tech article or stickied.

by following these steps you can minimize your personal harrassment from more experienced members and you can quickly become a contributing member of socalevo.net.

EXAMPLE:

let's say i want to learn about cams... cams are an advanced topic.

the first thing i want to do is search. i go to the top of the forum and i type in "cams" in the search field.

oh look what pops up!

threads on cams!!! NO WAY!!!??? i'm so excited let me click that first link that is SO pertinent to my search for cam knowledge!!!

OH GOODNESS MORE INFORMATION THAN I CAN DIGEST IN ONE SITTING JUST LIKE TRINYDEX SAID!!!

well now i wanna know what stage i should put my cams in. let's go back to the socalevo.net front page and use the search function again (using the search within a subforum sometimes only searches things in that forum duh)

oh man... this time i had to scroll down about a quarter of a page to see something relavent :[.

hey i've heard of this dr gray guy... maybe the dr gray stages are what i wanna learn about!?!?!?! let's click it right away with eager anticipation!

OH MY WORD! it's got my answer in the FIRST POST!!!

THAT'S IT FROM NOW ON I'M GONNA SEARCH BEFORE I POST ANYTHING. TRINYDEX YOU'RE THE BEST!!!!

Re: HOW TO: properly research on socalevo.net

after you've mastered the art of researching... you feel like you should post more even though you shouldn't. well this is a forum and forums are for posting, so i won't totally castrate your God given right to post on a forum... even though i want to.

so the next step is HOW TO POST IN THE CORRECT FORUM.

if you have a question and you already researched following the above steps and you say there's no threads on the subject 95% of the time you're a liar. but 5% of the time you got all these ??? above your head and no place to find answers, so of course you have to make a POST to ask a question or make a comment :o

first step... classify your question. NOTICE! socalevo.net is divided into different forums AND subforums... OMG.

PLEASE POST IN THE CORRECT FORUM.

how do you do that you ask? look at the forum descriptions GASP!!!

and then when you decide that a certain forum is right for you posting, READ THE STICKIES!!!

dr mosh is a mean mean man... and he hates stupids like you.

so don't let us catch you posting in the wrong place... then we'll have to ban you.