Thread: 2.3 Spool up comparo: AMS 35R vs TTech 35R

2.3 Spool up comparo: AMS 35R vs TTech 35R

I went out tonight and was able to do a few Zeitronix log pulls. My clutch is pretty much gone but it held for these logs. This isn't pure Apples vs Apples but the results are pretty amazing. This is the same car, same road, same gear. The weather is cooler today and I am running 100octane compared to 91 on the AMS kit pull. The TTech kit spool up is fantastic. I'm sure the leaner AFR and cooler weather play into the advantage, but on this test the spool was 470rpms quicker. I'll do another test when the conditions are more perfectly comparable.

There is a difference between the two turbos btw. The wastegate runner is located off the exhaust manifold in the TTech kit and I'm also using a 3" diameter compressor inlet (connects to intake).
    584whp &amp; 527wtq-- Stock ECU<br />3rd place 2008 Sport Compact Car Ultimate Street Car Challenge<br />1st place Import Tuner Evo vs Sti Shootout 2007 fastest lap &amp; five lap challenge<br />2nd place Redline Time Attack modified class @ Cal Speedway 2007<br />7.1 at 99.7mph 1/8th mile at California Speedway<br /><br />Tuned &amp; BuiltÂ* by Tuning Technologies -- TTech HTA35R Turbo Kit, 2.3, 1000 injectors -- Stock ECU with EcuFlash -- stock head with HKS 272s -- AMS VSR Intake Manifold -- Mil.Spec 65mm Throttle Body -- V!shn u/Gerrard Spec Ohlin&#039;s Suspension -- Exedy Triple Carbon

Re: 2.3 Spool up comparo: AMS 35R vs TTech 35R

Why do you think the TTech one spooled faster?

Tune? Camgear settings? Exhaust Manifold? Turbo?

Secondly...data aside you can definitely feel the TTech turbo spooling sooner right?

Quote Originally Posted by BHCevo
    Why do you think the TTech one spooled faster?

Tune? Camgear settings? Exhaust Manifold? Turbo?

Secondly...data aside you can definitely feel the TTech turbo spooling sooner right?
    Same tuner, same cam gear settings, maybe exhaust manifold... Yes, I can tell the difference, but it isn't dramatic.
    584whp &amp; 527wtq-- Stock ECU<br />3rd place 2008 Sport Compact Car Ultimate Street Car Challenge<br />1st place Import Tuner Evo vs Sti Shootout 2007 fastest lap &amp; five lap challenge<br />2nd place Redline Time Attack modified class @ Cal Speedway 2007<br />7.1 at 99.7mph 1/8th mile at California Speedway<br /><br />Tuned &amp; BuiltÂ* by Tuning Technologies -- TTech HTA35R Turbo Kit, 2.3, 1000 injectors -- Stock ECU with EcuFlash -- stock head with HKS 272s -- AMS VSR Intake Manifold -- Mil.Spec 65mm Throttle Body -- V!shn u/Gerrard Spec Ohlin&#039;s Suspension -- Exedy Triple Carbon

Yeah, the TT Turbo kit is sooooo much better. The 100 octane or ice cold weather had nothing to do with it.

^^ Uh oh, are we gonna have vendor groupie wars now? ^^
    ã©ã†ã‚‚ï¼ãƒãƒ¼ãƒ‰ãƒ»ã‚²ã‚¤ã§ã™ï¼ãƒ•ã‚©ãƒ¼ãƒ ¼ï¼

The blue line is the dyno run of the exact final tune that I was running when I did the 11.0@128. This was on C16 and 31.6psi. The red pull is the exact tune that I did the Zeitronix log on above on 100octane unleaded. It was at 21.6psi. The red pull was aborted due to my clutch problems. Notice at 4000 rpms the 65 more wtq and the 45 more whp.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 05-EVO-GSR
    Yeah, the TT Turbo kit is sooooo much better. The 100 octane or ice cold weather had nothing to do with it.
    Don't hate, appreciate. I mentioned the cooler weather twice as a contributing factor in the original post. The dyno chart above shows C16/AMS set to kill vs 100octane/TTech. It seems like a big enough difference to me to draw a least a basic conclusion that the TTech kit spools better.

Did some reasearch. It was 18 degrees warmer when I did the AMS kit pulls: 62 vs 80 degrees, to be exact. Significant but not incomparable by any means.

This is OT but:

In my experience warm weather impacts the performance not because of the small air density change.

It impacts performance because the warm weather pushes a high-power tune from no-knock into lots-of-knock by warming up the intake charge (and lessened intercooler effectiveness). In other words, warm weather makes a good tune "go bad."

Because the no-knock/lots-of-knock threshold can be very abrupt, temperature-wise, you don't necessarily need a large temperature change to cause a significant decrease in performance.

This can account for the same tune suffering at high temperatures quite a bit.

This can also account for an new, high-temperature tune making quite a bit less power than you might suspect...due to the much worsened knock threshold.

My experiences tuning and my understanding of the theory leads me to the above conclusions. Let me know if I'm mistaken.

why not just wait till its 80 degrees and do this test over again with the same fuel when you get the chance?

C-16 nocks in 80 degrees OK!
    <br />Best 1/4 mile 11.95 @ 114.73mph 1.767 60&#039; stock 05 turbo<br /><br />Best 1/8 mile 7.641 @ 90.95mph 1.667 60&#039;<br /><br />www.tuningtechnologies.net<br />For all your tuning needs.<br /><br />www.pba.com