Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braking problems, high speed steering wheel shake, "warped rotors" MEGAMERGE

Re: steering wheel shake

KRS.. whats the 411 with Hawks hps?

I doubt all of you have warped rotors. You probably just have uneven deposits on your rotors. Uneven deposits can happen when your brakes are too hot and you stand on them too long when braking for lights and such, or if you did not bed your pads properly in the first place.

The first thing you should do is simply rebed the pads and see if that fixes the problem.

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinperformance.shtml

If that does not fix you up, you could get a set of very aggressive pads and do the bed-in procedure with those.

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_padremoval.shtml

If you truly have warped rotors, which is possible, then you'll obviously have to resurface or buy new pads and rotors, but you should try the cheapest/easiest fix first and work your way up from there.

Whoever asked about the Hawk HPS ... I have them and think they are slightly better than stock ... less fade, less noise, and much, much less dust.

-nurb2-

The reason I said your rotors are warped is because I had my rotors replaced under warranty because they were warped. The rotors were replaced with less than 10K miles on them. I never tracked my car, I made sure to properly seat/bed the brakes under the break in procedure for any new car.

Just my .02
    [move][/move]

Quote Originally Posted by hksevo8
    The reason I said your rotors are warped is because I had my rotors replaced under warranty because they were warped.* The rotors were replaced with less than 10K miles on them.* I never tracked my car, I made sure to properly seat/bed the brakes under the break in procedure for any new car.

Just my .02
    I will be at HB Monday regarding thr rotors. I have to wait & see what they tell me.
    GRAPHITE GRAY 06 EVOLUTION 9<br /> www.odysseygear.com

Quote Originally Posted by EvoStevo
    KRS.. whats the 411 with Hawks hps?
    My man Stevo was up.. Well i bought some just in case. Got them for $138.00 including shipping.. If i do not need them i am pretty sure i can sale them.

The reason I said your rotors are warped is because I had my rotors replaced under warranty because they were warped.* The rotors were replaced with less than 10K miles on them.* I never tracked my car, I made sure to properly seat/bed the brakes under the break in procedure for any new car.

Just my .02
    Where did you take your car for the warranty? HB will not take mine under warranty.

KRS333, I'll let HB Mitsu check out my brakes before drop any cash on pads or turning rotors. Holler back at me Sunday if you decide on going to HB Mitsu monday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS333

Just my .02
    * Where did you take your car for the warranty? HB will not take mine under warranty.
    How come they won't take yours?

Just go to a brake shop and get them turned for $50...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in SD
    Just go to a brake shop and get them turned for $50...
    When you really think about it that would be the easiest thing to do. I am getting charged $20.00 to get them turned.. I love HB but I rather save some gas & miles...

Evolved
    Cars
    evo ocho

@nurb2 that's a great link you provided for the bedding-in the brakes

okay so question is i have about 730 miles on my car right now....80% are fwy miles...i hardly get on the brakes since i travel on the opposite direction of traffic

car doesn't shake while braking...but for some reason i feel the evo brakes are not what i expected...compared to my buddies 2004 bimmer 325i...the 325 stops with confidence...kinda of like when the car is braking hard the 325 can go a level further and brake harder without any tire locking or tires squealing and it's all smooth and control..i'm like i know the car behind us can't do that and scares the s!#t out of the driver and they back off and leave more space... for the evo i have to break way earlier or else i'm going to ram into the car in front of me...and it feels like it's a constant steady slow down...without that extra level before activating the ABS or tire squeal..is the way i can describe it

anybody else can explain why am i experiencing this...not complaining...but i thought the evo's had high performance brakes...i feel kinda of embarrassed sometimes when i have to hit the brakes sooner than my buddies 325

any ways after reading that article...how am i going to find an area where i can do 2 sets of 10 rounds of 60 to 10 MPH braking sessions without coming to a complete stop in the OC area?

thinking maybe late night fwy in the number 2 lane with hazard lights on?

how much will this wear out my brake pads...percentage wise?

peace
    hey roll down your windows down I wanna talk
    open door instead and say I just got my windows tinted
    where did you get your car from?
    i give him the name that's on my dealer paper plates
    your car is sick!!!
    1st weekend cruise in evo and 1st props coming from a stranger driving a G35 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ebevo
    @nurb2 that's a great link you provided for the bedding-in the brakes

okay so question is i have about 730 miles on my car right now....80% are fwy miles...i hardly get on the brakes since i travel on the opposite direction of traffic

car doesn't shake while braking...but for some reason i feel the evo brakes are not what i expected...compared to my buddies 2004 bimmer 325i...the 325 stops with confidence...kinda of like when the car is braking hard the 325 can go a level further and brake harder without any tire locking or tires squealing and it's all smooth and control..i'm like i know the car behind us can't do that and scares the s!#t out of the driver and they back off and leave more space... for the evo i have to break way earlier or else i'm going to ram into the car in front of me...and it feels like it's a constant steady slow down...without that extra level before activating the ABS or tire squeal..is the way i can describe it

anybody else can explain why am i experiencing this...not complaining...but i thought the evo's had high performance brakes...i feel kinda of embarrassed sometimes when i have to hit the brakes sooner than my buddies 325

any ways after reading that article...how am i going to find an area where i can do 2 sets of 10 rounds of 60 to 10 MPH braking sessions without coming to a complete stop in the OC area?

thinking maybe late night fwy in the number 2 lane with hazard lights on?

how much will this wear out my brake pads...percentage wise?

peace
    Evo brakes need to heat up pretty good before they work 100%. Once they are up to temp, they bite hard. You can out brake a 325i all day.

To answer your second question, try Edinger @ Red Hill to Jamboree in Tustin. That's where I always do mine.

-nurb2-

Evolved
    Cars
    evo ocho

okay so i guess it's not too late to bed my brakes then...how much of the brake pads does this procedure wear out...% wise?

interesting how you mentioned that once the evo's brakes get warm it bites hard...usually i'm traveling/cruising on the fwy then all of a sudden i have to slow down because of congestion...then 2 mins or so i return to my normal cruising speed...then 15 mins later i exit

guess this explains why i think the evo brakes aren't stopping to their fullest potential

think this will change after a bed the brakes...with the given driving habits i mentioned earlier?
    hey roll down your windows down I wanna talk
    open door instead and say I just got my windows tinted
    where did you get your car from?
    i give him the name that's on my dealer paper plates
    your car is sick!!!
    1st weekend cruise in evo and 1st props coming from a stranger driving a G35 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by ebevo
    okay so i guess it's not too late to bed my brakes then...how much of the brake pads does this procedure wear out...% wise?

interesting how you mentioned that once the evo's brakes get warm it bites hard...usually i'm traveling/cruising on the fwy then all of a sudden i have to slow down because of congestion...then 2 mins or so i return to my normal cruising speed...then 15 mins later i exit

guess this explains why i think the evo brakes aren't stopping to their fullest potential

think this will change after a bed the brakes...with the given driving habits i mentioned earlier?
    You can bed the brakes anytime. I doubt it wears out that much pad percentage wise, but the whole point of bedding them is to transfer material to the rotors. It's nothing really when you consider you do much more than that in the canyons. Go down the tight side of Palomar with a purpose and your brakes will glow. :twisted:

You only have 730 or so miles on your car too. The brakes will get better and quieter as time goes on. They still need a certain amount of heat to work 100%. You probably don't apply a whole lot of pressure to them either ... really stick your foot into them hard once or twice and you will see they work well.

-nurb2-

steering wheel shake is finally gone. HB Mitsu (Chris) resurfaced my rotors under warranty. I asked about my pads .... Chris said they were all good. Thanks HB O0

Warped Rotors?

Below 60mph my car brakes fine. Above 60 mph the steering wheel shakes a lot under braking. Dealer resurfaced my rotors last week and now it is even worse? Would an unbalanced wheel cause this kind of vibration?

Re: Warped Rotors?

sounds like they f'ed up your rotors. i'd bring it back and bitch at them or bring it to a different dealer such as HB :mitsu:. i dont think an unbalanced wheel would do that. you'll notice an unbalanced wheel through tread wear or at high speeds. your steering wheel only shakes during braking thus making it a braking issue.
    [quote author=Terenus link=topic=26113.msg6929267#msg6929267 date=1168978691]<br />i&#039;m gay for XLB<br />[/quote]<br />&lt;img src=&quot;http://forums.evolutionm.net/images/smilies/headbang2.gif&quot;&gt;<br />

I've experienced the same problem twice. I soon as i get some cash i'm upgrading my rotors to slotted or cross drilled. I'm might get Ferodo pads too. Also, HB took care of the problem twice... no questions asked. Quality dealer... the problem just came back.

resurfacing dosent fix the problem it will come back. The best thing to do is just get another set of rotors.

Hey Bevo, i sure hope that fixes the problem. I didn't find out the down side of resurfacing rotor until after the work was done. Any recommendations on Rotors/pads.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast