Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Braking problems, high speed steering wheel shake, "warped rotors" MEGAMERGE

Braking problems, high speed steering wheel shake, "warped rotors" MEGAMERGE

When I hit the brake (not hard) @ around 70mph, the steering wheel start shaking pretty badly....

what could be wrong? Â*

mess up rotor? Â*brake pads need to be change? Â*

Please advise!!

Braking Problem at high speed....

Pad deposites on your rotors, not a big deal.
    Don't argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

<br />[size=9px]There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games - Hemingway<br /><br />you&#039;ll get shorter stopping distances by slowing the fuck down - rammsteinmatt<br /><br />ay, there&#039;s the rub; That in that sleep of death what dreams may come.<br /><br />&quot;Sponsors&quot;: Yakima, K&amp;N, Speed Source, Bridgestone, S2K, Viper, WORKS, Motul, RRE,&nbsp; Samco, Ferodo, JDM, Kosei, APR, RallyArmor[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by ovenmit331
    http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm
    I hope this is not the case. Only twice i brake it hard to avoid accident... :?

It only happen during high speed (around 70mph)... lower than 50 it's fine.... :roll:

after reading the long article, i still don't know what to do... LOL... :oops:

Follow Stoptech's bedding procedure for your pads. Quite often, this will clean the uneven deposition off your rotors. Sometimes it will take a more aggresive pad than the stock ones. Turning them will also solve the problem.

In the future, drive your car after you wash it, because this can cause uneven brake pad deposition. Also, don't leave your foot on the brake after a long hot stop as this can also cause it especially if your pads/rotors aren't bedded in.
    &quot;Friends help you move....real friends help you move bodies&quot;
    <br />
    <br />Have you ever looked down that long, straight, empty highway and wished you could run flat out without getting a ticket?
    <br />Well, now you can! Click here to visit the OpenRoadRacing.com website
    <br />
    <br />2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
    <br />2005 Graphite MR - JIC Coilovers with camber plates, Perrin rear sway bar, Injen downpipe and exhaust, A custom built high flow cat, Injen intake, Manual boost controller, ECU flash, Spearco intercooler, PF Rotors and pads

Quote Originally Posted by JakeMate
    Follow Stoptech's bedding procedure for your pads. Quite often, this will clean the uneven deposition off your rotors. Sometimes it will take a more aggresive pad than the stock ones. Turning them will also solve the problem.

In the future, drive your car after you wash it, because this can cause uneven brake pad deposition. Also, don't leave your foot on the brake after a long hot stop as this can also cause it especially if your pads/rotors aren't bedded in.
    i had the same problem as the original poster (and posted on it a while back. SEARCH!!!) and i did the whole re-bed thing, but to less of a degree than an initial bedding, and it worked. just basically every time i stopped for a week i stopped early and REAL hard, but NO ABS!!!, and then coasted for a while to the light or sign or whatever to let them cool and not deposit material. it eventually went away. now i just try not to hard complete stop with brakes still on. brake early then roll a little...
    <br />[size=9px]There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games - Hemingway<br /><br />you&#039;ll get shorter stopping distances by slowing the fuck down - rammsteinmatt<br /><br />ay, there&#039;s the rub; That in that sleep of death what dreams may come.<br /><br />&quot;Sponsors&quot;: Yakima, K&amp;N, Speed Source, Bridgestone, S2K, Viper, WORKS, Motul, RRE,&nbsp; Samco, Ferodo, JDM, Kosei, APR, RallyArmor[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by bcmind
    Quote Originally Posted by ovenmit331
    http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm
    I hope this is not the case. Only twice i brake it hard to avoid accident... :?

It only happen during high speed (around 70mph)... lower than 50 it's fine.... :roll:

after reading the long article, i still don't know what to do... LOL... :oops:
    HAHA drive your car harder :]. or at least on occassion... cuz you prolly do a lotta traffic driving or freeway driving (which in socal is the same as traffic driving) and that puts build up on yer rotors. just brake hard and clean it up.

Cars
    2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (sold), 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E, 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

steering wheel shake

hi. it's me again. i just remembered also to ask you guys if you experienced shaking of the steering wheel for a moment while braking in a freeway from probably 70 mph to around 50 mph. my evo does that often. i can say that my 2 front wheels are correctly aligned and balance so why is this happening?
    TUNING TECHNOLOGIES
    EMPEROR MOTORSPORTS

Re: steering wheel shake

that happens on my Evo too but around 20 - 30 mph. I'm wondering if its my wheel balance. I recently had my wheels powder coated and the tire shop put the weights inside the wheel instead of out.

it is called warped rotors.
    [move][/move]

Cars
    2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (sold), 2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E, 2022 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

thanks
    TUNING TECHNOLOGIES
    EMPEROR MOTORSPORTS

Quote Originally Posted by hksevo8
    it is called warped rotors.
    I felt the same thing today at about 50mps but my rotors going out when my car is only 5 months old sounds weird.
    GRAPHITE GRAY 06 EVOLUTION 9<br /> www.odysseygear.com

It's not. I had a friend who thought while washing his car in cold weather with smokes comming out of his rotor was cool. He kept on spraying until it didn't smoke anymore and his rotors warped. It was 2 days old.

It's most likely your rotors. Steering wheel shake while driving is most commonly associated with unbalanced wheels/rims.

you warped your rotors. most likely by either doing what jas0n said or getting them real hot and then sitting at a stoplight with your foot mashed on the brake pedal. both are big no-nos.

Quote Originally Posted by apexstrafer
    you warped your rotors. most likely by either doing what jas0n said or getting them real hot and then sitting at a stoplight with your foot mashed on the brake pedal. both are big no-nos.
    Jeff is teh smart...

You can also get your rotors warped when the "race shop" you go to installs your sexy 2-piece rotors backwards... >

What is the solution to this besides buying new ones? And can the dealer take a freindy look to make sure they are the rotors?

Quote Originally Posted by KRS333
    What is the solution to this besides buying new ones? And can the dealer take a freindy look to make sure they are the rotors?
    The best solution is to get them turned at a brake shop and if possible, install new pads. Whenever you put new rotors on a car, you should also put new pads to bed them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in SD
    Quote Originally Posted by KRS333
    The best solution is to get them turned at a brake shop and if possible, install new pads.* Whenever you put new rotors on a car, you should also put new pads to bed them together.
    ++1

Should cost around $15-20. Well..at least for me.

Well i just ordered some Hawks HPS just in case my rotors are really warped.. Thanks for the input my peps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast