Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: can't get off, destroyed threads or rounded O2 SENSOR MERGE

Re: fellow EVO HEADZ!!! i need HELP!!!!

Glad to be of help. O0
    If it doesn't make power, it's not worth the hour.

CAT/O2 sensor HELP PLEASE

Will generic O2 sensors work with the EVO IX?

I have an IX.Â* I was trying to switch my cat for a HFC yesterday and after I unscrewed the O2 sensor I saw that right below the sensor, the screw's thread was gone.Â* I am told that I need a new O2 sensor but that runs 300-400 bucks!Â* :-\

Can I somehow attach the O2 sensor to the HFC even though the thread on the O2 sensor is gone?

Can I just JBWELD it?

Cars
    WW 9, 12 4Runner, 13 white 848 Evo

Can't take off my O2 sensor from the cat

My O2 sensor is somehow really tight on my cat that I can't take it off I have tried it and so has my friend and seems that it stripping the nut slowly. Is there anything I can try to spray on it without damaging the sensor to loosen it up?
    Thanx

Re: Can't take off my O2 sensor from the cat

Get some Liquid wrench that would help. If the tools you are using don't work then go to auto zone tell them u need to take off a o2 sensor they have a tool that u can use its like 16 bucks and it will work and when your done take it back and they give you ur money back O0

I had problems taking mine off as well, but the thread on my o2 seemed to be f'ed up from factory... I just used the handle of a jack to use as an extension and slowly unbolt it.

Try an air impact driver with an O2 sensor removal socket (if you don't have one, a local tire or exhaust shop might try it for you if you're polite). If it's still too tight, try spraying some PB Blaster where the sensor screws into the bung.

Drive it around the block a couple of times. You need to heat it up and that's the easiest way, unless you have a torch. If it's cool right now and you have some spray (PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, etc.) spay it down. Go for a drive, warm it up, jack it up and it will come loose.
    http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=30439.0
    If it doesn't make power, it's not worth the hour.

WTF? Heat it up? I would think that hot metal expands and is harder to take off... anyways mine was difficult hot and cold...

how many miles are on your IX? i took mine off when i had about 8,000 miles, and it was middle of the night cold as all hell (things are always easier to remove when a bit warm in my experience)

i applied some lubricants all around the shit and it made things a lot easier....i unscrewed the thing all by my lonesome too, so u should be able to do it with friends...i did it with a wrench

just remember when you put the o2 sensor back in (whether the midpipe of your catback or w/e) apply anti-seize all over the threads of the bolt so this shit won't happen again....
    98 Accord 5spd<br />00 Integra GSR<br />91 MR2 turbo<br />06 Evo IX GSR<br />00 RSTi<br /><br />Now:<br />Evo X GSR<br />07 Civic Si

yeah soak it in some sort of thread lubricater then when you reinstall use the antiseize.

WD- 40 =]

Re: CAT/O2 sensor HELP PLEASE

bump for merge

Re: can't get off, destroyed threads or rounded O2 SENSOR MERGE

i had the same problem man!!!..drive around alittle bit..use a vice-grip..tighten that mutha up TIGHT!!! and turn man..it worked for me..no lie!!! give it a shot...

and when you need to take it off again??

I wouldn't heat it up too much, O2 sensors tend to strip threads when they are attempted to be removed at operating temps.Â* I have seen it happen to other people, and I myself have done it a couple of times, being impatient and trying to get the job done as fast as possible, instead of letting everything cool down. I have never stripped an O2 sensor thread while taking it out cold.Â* best advice i can give would be to find a position that gives you the most leverage and spray pb blaster on it and let it soak for about 10 min, the spray again before attempting to remove.

philthyevo: if you can provide a pic, I would be able to tell you if you have enough material to re-tap the O2 sensor, or at least get it to a workable condition.

ooops, I didn't read the dates on the last few posts. well, hopefully I can help someone...

i used a wrench... almost stripped it.. then sprayed a lil PB blaster in the threads and worked it off...

scared me for a seconds but it all worked out

oh yah! ^^ i took mine off wiht 5000 miles on my car

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123