Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can't get off, destroyed threads or rounded O2 SENSOR MERGE

can't get off, destroyed threads or rounded O2 SENSOR MERGE

(x-post from evom for more exposure :))

Was about to install my new DP tonight (this would be the 2nd time these bolts were on their way out of the stock o2 housing) and as I was about to remove the 2nd bolt, it stopped. I thought "oh fock what if it stripped the o2 housing..." so I tugged a bit more, and no go. Decided to just tighten them back up, all seems ok but how the hell am I going to get it out?

And what if it did f up the o2 housing threads?

Have you had this issue and if so, did you replace it or did you re-tap it? Anyone got a link for replacing the o2 housing? Does it require near-total front end disassembly?

Thanks.

-Chris

nice, downpipe->o2 bolt stripped?

I have not had this problem before, but the only thing that comes to my mind is this (and I can't say for sure if there's enough room);
    Remove radiator
    Unbolt the downpipe at the cat
    Remove the O2 sensor
    Remove the band clamp at the turbo
    Drop the turbine housing, O2 housing, and downpipe as one piece
    Use a lot of PB Blaster and take the stuff apart
    Fix the threads how every you can
    Bolt it back together with antisieze
    Again, I don't know for sure if this will work. It's just an idea.

P.S.
    On a positive note, if it does work, it would be a good time to port and polish.
    If it doesn't make power, it's not worth the hour.

I don't think you stripped it,, you just need to keep going until it comes out. The bolts sort of "rust" in there..

Soak the shit out of the bolts with some pb blaster. Let that soak overnight, apply extra coats. Than it should come off fine. Next time you bolt it up, clean the threads off with a wire brush and use new nuts. You should be ok.
    `` Look sideways at a 4G63 and it will make power.Â* It is the most forgiving turbocharged engine we know of. `` -Jared Holstein SCC<br /><br /> <br />Tarek yo couch!

Quote Originally Posted by evomrguy
    Soak the shit out of the bolts with some pb blaster. Let that soak overnight, apply extra coats. Than it should come off fine. Next time you bolt it up, clean the threads off with a wire brush and use new nuts. You should be ok.
    Yeah Im gonna do this Fri/Sat I hope (want to wait for a new bolt from my dealer just in case). Will soak the hell out of it for a few hours once it's cold, and try try again.

I hope you guys are right about the stripping!

Whats up guys been tryin to install my catback but ran into a few problems. It's my first time doing an install. So need help.

1. The damn 02 Sensor is being a bitch to get off. Read on evomoto "get a 22mm open end or O2 sensor socket out! Open the folded over tabs holding the O2 sensor wire in place and simply loosen the sensor as you would any other bolt."

What "folded over tabs" are they talkin about? Tried looking for them couldn't seem them.

I tried getting the o2 socket onto the sensor but it didn't fit on, so i'm thinking of undoing the cat side first and lowering the midpipe a bit than attempting to get to the o2 with the socket at a better angle.

2. Cat bolts are kinda stuck so I bought PB and gonna hit at it again in a few minutes

If anyone wants to help me out I'll pay for dinner and some nice GOOD cold beer. *Live in Santa Monica*

Re: Having Trouble Catback

I heard that if you spray the o2 sensor bolt and get any residue on it it'll F it up? Having trouble gettin the damn sensor out. Cat bolts not that worried since i can use PB Catalyst.

Ok so instead of using WD40 use PB on the o2????

pb meaning peanut butter? cuz i cant get the damn bolts off too.
    the getaway

if you guys are willing to hop to long beach tonight... we can work on it
    illuzionz 1.0

go to long beach cris will help you lolz.. hey cris what time are you available today i need to pick up the intercooler pm me pls.
    {img}index.jpg{img}

Quote Originally Posted by oct7th1987
    pb meaning peanut butter?* cuz i cant get the damn bolts off too.
    pry bar and wd40
    www.500whp.com<br />www.muellerized.com<br />www.Lot-usa.com<br />www.Monster-Sport.com

Evo Guru
    Cars
    Formely '04 Evo 8 & '10 OBP Evo X - Currently 14 WW MR

Dunno if he meant prybar lol :D

Theres a product called PB Bolt something I think is what he was reffering to .. better than WD-40 for damn stuck bolts ..
    2014 WW Evo MR ~ Derick 3.0

If he hasn't gotten that shit out since October than he's got problems.
    PB = PB Blaster from any Pep Boys, Kraken Auto Zone; I've even seen it at Big Lots.
    If it doesn&#039;t make power, it&#039;s not worth the hour.

I need help with my O2 sensor

Ok guys I'm trying to install my cat back and I don't have a 22mm open end wrench so I tried using an adjustable and sprayed it with the PB stuff and I still can't get it off. Anyone have a 22mm in the 951 or 949 that can help me out
    Jesse Sez: If you're ever in a midget-tossing contest, always go for the happy midget. It is definitely much harder to toss them when they're unhappy

Re: I need help with my O2 sensor

Well I just bought a 02 Sensor socket. Gonna give it a try tomorrow. Anyone wanna come help I'll provide the beer
    Jesse Sez: If you're ever in a midget-tossing contest, always go for the happy midget. It is definitely much harder to toss them when they're unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer2169
    Well I just bought a 02 Sensor socket. Gonna give it a try tomorrow. Anyone wanna come help I'll provide the beer
    it should work fine. also use a breaker bar. if it doesn't work, get a 22mm Flare nut wrench. the open end wrench will strip your shit.
    <br /><br />[size=10pt]Tuning, Installation, Services/maintenance[/size]<br /><br />[quote author=wj4 link=topic=2189.msg6822683#msg6822683 date=1156809182]<br />yes charlie will drive your car as if he was playing it on gran turismo 4. but there is no restart button.[/quote]<br />[quote author=robi link=topic=33026.msg6896425#msg6896425 date=1165355690]<br /> racing is about WHO shows up.........not who talks later.<br />[/quote]

Drive it.
    No really, take it for a drive and heat it up.
    This happened to me and my Eclipse. That mutherfucker was in there. Breaker bar, spray... nothing worked. I gave up and drove it down to the muffler shop. They put it on the lift and took it out with a small hand wrench. I was so pissed.
    PB it agin, drive it, get under the car with the O2 sensor socket and it will come right out. O0
    If it doesn&#039;t make power, it&#039;s not worth the hour.

So I got myself into a jam last night...the O2 socket I got from Autozone done jacked up my O2 sensor when I tried to remove it...it didnt fit queit right, and rounded off the corners of the sensor nut when I tried to crack it. Yaddy, yadda yadda....I need a new sensor. I have found two types...one is a Bosch universal, which is about ~$70. The other is a Bosch OEM, which is ~$270. Uh....WTF? Why the price disparity? Do I HAVE to use the OEM, or can i just cut & splice the leads to the sensor line into the universal one?
    Polska WalczÄ…ca

Re: o2 sensors..

Ha...the exact same thing happened to me! Fortunately, I was able to locate a previously owned O2 sensor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast