Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blackberry Pearl or Samsung Blackjack?

Re: Blackberry Pearl or Samsung Blackjack?

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid-R1
    Blackjack battery life tends to suck if you leave it in 3g. If you leave it in Edge, it will last. With the slim battery and in 3g, the battery won't last me a day. And that's with barely doing anything. It could be my signal being weak, I'm not sure. But I do know it sucks the living daylights out of it. This is with yahoo mail checked every 30 min.

On the bright note, it's really easy to tether to your laptop. There is a program there to do it. Using it w/ 3g and USB (So it charges at the same time,) I was getting 700k downloads via dslreports. I even hooked it up to my friends Macbook bia BT, and it was a snap. Took us less than 5 mins the 1st time...

I recommend if you get the BJ to try and get them to set you up with the media Max 200 Plan. It's unlimited data + 200 text. Not sure if they will allow it anymore. They want to push the BJ users into the PDA plan (It's not a PDA, it's a smartphone, but whatever.) So, they want to charge you $40 for the data. I called them and told them I had a RAZR and wanted to add media Max 200. Your milage max vary. Don't mention you have a BJ, or they will push you into the PDA plan.
    So the plan for Media Max 200 is $20 a month, would I be charged for internet? Is there a difference between Media Net and Data Connect? They also have the Smartphone connect with Xpress mail for $20.

Media Max 200 is unlimited data. So no charge for the Internet. The 200 is the number of text messages. Remember that is sent and received...

So, this is how they break it down. Media Max and Smartphone plans operate off the wap.cingular.com. PDA plan works off of isp.cingular.com (or att now, whatever.) wap is not a static IP, while isp is. If you need a static IP for a VPN or something, then you will need the PDA plan. Other from that, there isn't a difference.

Now, between Smartphone and Media max, the only difference is the 200 text messages. For the same price Media Max gets you 200 text. (Smartphone does not.)

None of the plans "technically" support tethering. I believe you need data connect. BUT you can do it. I've had the Media Max plan and tethered quite a bit. At this time, they either don't care or don't know. I would recommend not doing it everyday, but you can do it. I have heard some people go to about 500MB in one month and they have not said a thing.

With that in mind, be aware that AT&T at some point could check your IMEI and say you have a BJ and tell you, you are on the wrong plan. It's possible. But it's been at quite awhile now and they haven't done anything..

Your best bet is to change it online. You can go onto the web and go to change features and just add it on. Make sure it stays though. I have heard stories of it dropping off the next day. Otherwise, just call...

antics22 - You can always just changed the phone in your profile. I put in a RAZR xxx or whatever as the phone I had. They don't check by IMEI in the online account, so just put whatever...

Great info! Thanks for the help.

a blackberry is only beneficial if your work place implements the use of a Blackberry Enterprise Server. Without that, a blackberry in my opinion is deemed rather useless as many other phones out there share the same capabilities (aside from the BES)... my $.02s
    illuzionz 1.0

I played around with the Pearl, I dont really like the keyboard.

I just got the blackberry Curve and love it. There is my vote.
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A, Select, Start

Evolved
    Cars
    WW IX MR, '14 F06, '14 F10, '07 Tundra CrewMax 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ultraflip
    a blackberry is only beneficial if your work place implements the use of a Blackberry Enterprise Server. Without that, a blackberry in my opinion is deemed rather useless as many other phones out there share the same capabilities (aside from the BES)... my $.02s
    Can you explain why the BB is useless compared to other phones?

Evolved
    Cars
    WW IX MR, '14 F06, '14 F10, '07 Tundra CrewMax 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Terenus
    Try the Curve...full keyboard/better camera version of the Pearl.

Quote Originally Posted by DruMMinStUd06
    Quote Originally Posted by Terenus
    Try the Curve...full keyboard/better camera version of the Pearl.
    I already got my Blackjack, it's coming tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12