Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The END ALL YAKIMA ROOF RACKS thread for Aluminium roofs UPDATED X FITMENTS:

The END ALL YAKIMA ROOF RACKS thread for Aluminium roofs UPDATED X FITMENTS:

For those of us with an EVO SE or MR, we have a very limited choice when it comes to roof racks.Â* Because we dont have a rail to attach conventional roof systems to, that means that we can only go with a Yakima system at the moment:

This is the following equipment that you will need to secure a Yakima roof rack to your Evo with an aluminium roof:

*THREAD UPDATED WITH EVO X FITMENTS.Â* Â*ALSO NOTE THAT YAKIMA HAS RAISED THEIR PRICES ACROSS THEIR PRODUCT LINE(UPDATED 1/8/2009)*
    In case you already own the Yakima system for the IX but traded for the X, you're in luck.Â* Obviously you don't need to re-purchase everything...Â* Instead all you need is new front clips (Q5) and the optional longer fairing (44")

Happy racking!
    -Ant

Base Roof Rack System for EVO X:

Q-TowersÂ* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Part # 8000124Â* Â* Â* Â* Retail: $159 (set of 4)
    Q5 ClipsÂ* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* part # 8000605Â* Â* Â* Â* Retail:Â* Â*$35 (set of 2)
    Q83 ClipsÂ* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Part # 8000683Â* Â* Â* Â* Retail:Â* Â*$35 (set of 2)
    48" Universal CrossbarsÂ* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Part # 8000408Â* Â* Â* Â* Retail:Â* $70 (set of 2)
    (Optional) 44" fairing (wind deflector)Â* Â* Part # 8007048Â* Â* Â* Â* Retail:Â* $69

totalÂ* Base Roof Rack System CostÂ* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*$368.00

================================================== ========

Base Roof Rack System for EVO VIII/IX :

Q-TowersÂ* Â* Â* Â*Â* Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Â* Â*Part # 8000124Â* Â* Â* Â* Retail: $159 (set of 4)
    Q102 ClipsÂ* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Â* Â*Â* Â*Â*part # 8000702Â* Â* Â* Â* Retail:Â* Â*$35 (set of 2)
    Q83 ClipsÂ* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Part # 8000683Â* Â* Â* Â* Retail:Â* Â*$35 (set of 2)
    48" Universal CrossbarsÂ* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Â*Part # 8000408Â* Â* Â* Â* Retail:Â* $70 (set of 2)
    (Optional) 38" fairing (wind deflector)Â* Â* Part # 8007047Â* Â* Â* Â* Retail:Â* $69

totalÂ* Base Roof Rack System CostÂ* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*$368.00

================================================== ========

In addition to the base system, you will next have to add the attachments necessary for your desired equipment:
    These attachments are universal and will fit any Yakima round crossbar system, so its up to you which model you choose.Â* These are the more common ones that I happen to own:

PowderhoundÂ* (for snowboards) (holds 4 snowboards)
    Part # 8003071Â* Â*
    Retail: $119 each x 2 (You need two of these)

SteelheadÂ* (for bikes)Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*
    Part # 8002045Â* Â*
    Retail: $119 each

Places to purchase:Â* REI, Sports Chalet, online,
    more info:Â* www.yakima.com

Hope this information helps.

Evolved
    Cars
    WW IX MR, '14 F06, '14 F10, '07 Tundra CrewMax 4x4

Re: The END ALL YAKIMA ROOF RACKS thread for Aluminium roofs:

useful info...thanks!

thanks for the write-up. also, approximately how long does it take to properly install the rack onto the roof and have you heard anything about the likeliness of the rack falling off even with proper installation?

Evolved
    Cars

have you heard of a company called "Inno"? i was referred to their products by a local sporting goods store...

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Evo
    thanks for the write-up. also, approximately how long does it take to properly install the rack onto the roof and have you heard anything about the likeliness of the rack falling off even with proper installation?
    To properly install the rack by yourself, it probably takes a good 10 ~15 minutes or so to do... Â*Mostly because you have to take measurements for the proper distance in placement of the racks....

For reference, on the EVO 8/9s, the front Q-clips (base of the rack) should measure 5" from the edge of the front windshield. Â* I have mine about 5 1/2" from the windshield corner to the base of the front roof rack. Â* From there, you measure 32" from the front round Crossbar to the second round Crossbar and thats how far back the second rack sits on the roof line.

I have not heard of any incidents with the rack flying off if properly installed. Â*I think the biggest area of concern is making sure that you set the proper clamping tension and that you measure the proper distance on the roof for the rack... Â*

At first, I clamped mine as hard as I could (which was a mistake) because it actually damaged the Q-clips... Â* Â*REI gladly exchanged them for new ones, but the trick is to use just enough tension where you can feel some resistance, but not force it. Â*

I have carried my snowboards about 10 times this past season and I never experienced any issues... Â* I just recently got the bike racks and experienced no problems with that either... Â*

Another thing is, I drive extra carefully (nothing over 75mph) and I avoid taking turns like I normally do at SOW =)

If you buy a used rack, make sure that its the newer Q-clips because I know they were re-designed due to failing clips in the past. Â* I purchased new ones from REI to avoid having that possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by DruMMinStUd06
    have you heard of a company called "Inno"? i was referred to their products by a local sporting goods store...

You mean this one, right?

I actually just saw that post recently and from their website and product pictures, it looked like a good alternative to the Yakima.Â* However, I have not heard any real-life experiences with it, or of the company much so I would go out on a limb and say to stay with the tried and true method of Yakima...

In looking at the pictures more, I am not sure how well that rack actually sits since the base of it is actually spanning over the rubber water gutter and part of it is putting load on the top of the roof and part of it is on the window sill.Â* Â*That uneven surface would be an area of concern to me....

If you look at the base of the Yakima, the base sits flush with the metal window sill with 0 pressure onto the aluminium roof.

PS.Â* I think Carmate is the company behind INNO and last time I checked, I thought carmate made air fresheners and all sorts of cheapie car accessories like ricer mirrors, etc....

Just an assumption, but I trust Yakima and their products.Â* Â*In addition they have great support.Â* Â* I had some problems with my snowboard rails, and they immediately sent me replacement parts for a small shipping fee...Â* Â*Keep in mind I had these snowboard rails WAY before the EVO, so they truly do support the products no matter how old they are.

Evolved
    Cars

Another question...any opinion on Thule racks? A friend just found one on CL for a pretty good deal...from what you say, I'm pushing towards Yakima, but I want to know what you think about Thule.

Thule is a good choice if you have a metal roof and it will actually be dummy proof since the rack actually clamps onto the rain gutter rails...

It looks like you have an IX MR though so THULE is NOT A VIABLE OPTION for you....Â* THULE currently does not offer a solution for us with Aluminium roofs...

Leaving you the only two choices:Â* YAKIMA and RV-INNO

Evolved
    Cars

and between those two...I'm guessing my best choice would be Yakima.

Quote Originally Posted by DruMMinStUd06
    and between those two...I'm guessing my best choice would be Yakima.
    I'd say yes for this simple reason and this reason alone:

Yakima has been around longer, has a greater mass market, has more supporting accessories, more retail dealers and physical retail locations, and most of all... GREAT customer service! That alone gets my vote.

Customer service is Awesome! I first purchased the Yakima set up for my MR in 04' and still use it. Very easy to put on and take off. I switch it from my MR to my Brother's MR. Once I even broke the clips that secure the rack onto my car and Yakima, with no questions asked, sent me a replacement within a few days.

I have an RV-Inno. I like the way the Yakima mounts fit better, but I do not like the round cross member. RV-Inno makes a really nice add-ons, nice lockable surf board rack, nice ski rack, I have not seen a bike rack in real life yet though. Mine seems secure, but no hard tests yet, just carrying the board around the beach cities.

has anybody try this mod for their rack on their evo?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=882744&page=8

just wondering if the yakima racks scratch the paint? I happen to run into a guy that had thses (not sure if they were installed correctly) but his roof was scratched up around the mount points.
    Back from the dead...where is Everybody???? Baby Jesus cries everytime an Evo owner buys Rotas, V i s h NU,HKS, KW Variant 3, Cusco, Stoptech, Work Emotion, DEFI, Kenwood, Dynaudio, Xtant, JBL, www.tuningtechnologies.com, www.500whp.com

Quote Originally Posted by airforce1
    just wondering if the yakima racks scratch the paint?Â* I happen to run into a guy that had thses (not sure if they were installed correctly) but his roof was scratched up around the mount points.
    my yakima rack does scratch my paint, I'm thinking of seeing if I can do that same mod the subaru guys did in the link I posted.

Evo Guru
    Cars
    Audi S4

If you're concerned about scratching the roof with the rack, you could place clear bra material below the "feet" of the rack.
    Graphic/Interior Design,Branding &amp;amp; Identities, Invitations <br />www.nomadic-nomads.com

Re: The END ALL YAKIMA ROOF RACKS thread for Aluminium roofs UPDATED X FITMENTS:

Updated 1st post with X fitments!

Re: The END ALL YAKIMA ROOF RACKS thread for Aluminium roofs UPDATED X FITMENTS:

I just ordered the new racks made for the X! Pictures to follow.
    Evo X white MR touring, RRE Stealth Exhaust.

Does anyone have the correct measurements for the '08 EVO X? as in what the M1-M4 values are?

Im a first time buyer. i like the model that you have on your x. Do they still sell that model anywhere? I like the Yakima front shield.
    your sig is too sexy and has been removed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast