Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amp Location?

Evolved
    Cars
    05 VIII MR

Re: Amp Location?

Anyone have any tips on how and where to get the amp power cable through the firewall? I poked around last night and I see no obvious way to do it. How did you guys run yours?
    RRE Stage 1+ eleventeen Dr. Gray Empty Stomach Tune

Evolved
    Cars
    05 VIII MR

Ok, I'm half done running it through the fender. I used the hole where a wiring harness and the hood release cable exit to the fender. I used an xacto knife to cut a plus sign cut in the plug and pushed the wire through. I used a coat hanger to help fish it through the fender and removed some fender liner clips to gain access inside. I've read that this is not a preferred method according to some on evom and that drilling a hole in the firewall takes two minutes. I got down and looked all around for a better way and I could not find it. Drilling through the firewall for me was not going to happen, I don't even know how I would fit the drill up under the dash or in the engine compartment to get the hole where I would want it or need it. Fishing the wire took five minutes and when I'm done it will be completely stealth. I'm wrapping the wire in black plastic wire sheath and zip tying it to the factory wiring that is already running the same direction. Only the eagle eyed will notice the fuse holder stashed next to the battery, I think I will paint it black. I have the cable zip tied to the harness in the fender so there is no movement and it is not going through the door so I'm not worried about chaffing the wire. I think this is ok, it's out of the way of everything and actually following factory wiring, it will be invisible once installed completely. A downside noted is that the wire running down through the cut plug tends to carry water down the cable and inside the car and corrode connections. I am going to seal the cuts in the rubber plug with silicone sealant so that should take care of this problem, besides the car stays garaged when not in use and lives in southern CA, not exactly going to see a lot of rain. Appreciate any comments or advice, I know I'm late to the audio game but this section seems pretty stagnant.

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9

the firewall has a rubber piece u could remove or cut a hole thru it...
    Pictures on all for sale/for trade threads is being enforced!

I have my two kenwood amps under my front seats. I didnt need to take out my front seats, and ran my power cable throught the firewall around my throttle linkage. Seem to work out fine for me hope it helps.
    21psi stock turbo-329awhp 267tq Looney Tuned<br /><br /><br />Swift/AEM/Invidia/RS-R/Greddy/HKS/BrianC./APR/Walbro/Megan Racing/<br /><br /> <br />.

Evolved
    Cars
    05 VIII MR

I have the fender install done and pretty clean. I'll check out the throttle spot and see if I want to switch.

Evolved
    Cars
    05 VIII MR

Quote Originally Posted by evobros
    the firewall has a rubber piece u could remove or cut a hole thru it...
    Where?

Cars
    evo9(sold), evo 8(sold), 2014 evo x gsr, 2012 evo x mr

^on the passenger side behind the strut tower area... kinda hard to explain... its tucked up on the right side behind the glovebox... u can reach up and pull the rubber thing out. i routed my wires and vacum lines for my boost gauge thru it. way better and safer than the fenders.

Evolved
    Cars
    05 VIII MR

Thats probably where my zietronix is routed. Seems like it would take more wire to go through the engine bay than in through the fender. Why is the fender not safe? I have the cable zip tied so it doesn't move and sealed off. I'll be mounting my amps this weekend. I'm running a 4ga power cable to a distribution block and then two 8ga power cables to my amps. If there is a reason the fender is not safe, I assume chaffing and shorting would be the worry, then I'll pull it and rerun it.

Cars

^ exactly. i had a shop hook up my vacuum lines when i first got my car and the routed thru the fender... took it to another shop and they were like wtf? if the tire hits this it will rip it right out. so i took it out and went thru the firewall. its only like an extra 3ft of wire. i can take pics of the engine bay where the wire is routed if u like.

Evolved
    Cars
    05 VIII MR

Quote Originally Posted by one4
    ^ exactly. i had a shop hook up my vacuum lines when i first got my car and the routed thru the fender... took it to another shop and they were like wtf? if the tire hits this it will rip it right out. so i took it out and went thru the firewall. its only like an extra 3ft of wire. i can take pics of the engine bay where the wire is routed if u like.
    A pic of your setup would be appreciated, I'll post how I did mine. Also show possum delete mod if you can. Thanks!

Cars

lol for sure. ill get some pics tonight or tommorow morning.

Evolved
    Cars
    05 VIII MR

This shows the layout and installation. the cable is not 100% in it's final location because I need some wiggle room to install the fuse when everything is hooked up but It's pretty much where it's going to go. It will get zip tied to a few locations and blend even better. The cable is running next to the factory harness in the fender above the wheel well and the big grommet is sealed with silicone to prevent water ingress.

Cars

that looks good... as long as it doesnt run in the actual wheel well you are good. lol

Evolved
    Cars
    05 VIII MR

No, it's up above the splash guards. It runs alog the big bundle you see in the second pic.

Started a thread on my install.
    http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...topic=100414.0

U can just mount it on top or rear of the sub box. That's how I have it. Amp mounted directly on subbox

I had a lot of questions about this, but thanks to you guys i have enough info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12