Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASA TT results - Buttonwillow 1 CCW - June 21-22 2008

NASA TT results - Buttonwillow 1 CCW - June 21-22 2008

I was back competing at Buttonwillow this past weekend, June 21-22, but this time around we were running 1 CCW. Last time i was there was back on April 26-27 when we were running 13 CW. And before this past weekend, on June 7-8, i went up and competed with the Norcal NASA guys for the first time running on my first Norcal track, T-hill CCW with the T5 bypass. For those of you that have kept up with my ridiculously long threads youre probably aware that i have been having braking issues at my last 2 TTA weekend events. But before i get into details, for the time being, ill post up my results and get into the details later. Im waiting on a few things, so as soon as i sort through it all, ill get back to you guys with how my weekend unfolded. But for now, im happy to say that i was able to get through this past weekends intense heat, and walk away with 2 more wins.

Continued...

The last time i ran 1 CCW with NASA was back in the 2007 season during the November 10-11 weekend event. So ever since i had my car setup more properly for TTA, this was my first time back to see how i was going to do. Based on my experience thus far with my new setup i had an idea of what to expect, but with the braking issues i have been having at my last 2 TTA weekend events, i wasnt even sure if i was going to be able to get through the weekend. My braking issues have been really exhausting. Constantly working on your car at an event depletes you in so many ways. And i had done everything i could within my experience to troubleshoot that issue and couldnt figure out what the problem was. After some more inspecting, i found what i thought was the problem. There are these metal tabs that are above and below where you insert the pads. Those medal tabs were deformed on both of the front calipers. The left side was worse, but both calipers had the same issue. Long story short, i contacted South Coast Mitsubishi and spoke with Rigo. He told me to bring in the car and they would take a look. I took my car in and Rigo took care of me. He confirmed that the metal tabs were definitely deformed, and basically it would be covered under warranty. After a few short hours Rigo replaced my calipers with new ones under warranty. How awesome is Rigo and South Coast Mitsubishi? A big thanks to Rigo and SCM would be a major understatement, but thanks guys! Right off the bat i could tell there was a difference even while driving on the streets. I was optimistic, but given all the trouble i had been through i knew the true test would be at my upcoming Buttonwillow event.

I now had a new set of calipers, so the next thing i needed to settle were my rotors. As i have noted in my last few threads, i have been trying to source some new rotors. No one had any replacement hardware for my StopTech 2 piece rotors, and based on what i had found out in the last 2 months, it didnt seem like StopTech was going to have any replacement hardware soon, so i needed a new route. I made some phone calls, got in touch with Martin from Girodisc, and he set me up with his 2 piece rotors. Martin worked real hard to get me his rotors in time for this Buttonwillow event. He really went out of his way, and got me his rotors on Thursday, which was the day before i was going to leave. Thanks a bunch Martin. I then took everything apart and got those bad boys on and ready to go for the weekend. For the meantime im not going to get into details because the true test will be in the coming months. However, ill say that i am impressed with how they performed that weekend.

Moving on with the weekend. Well, it was a pretty hot weekend. At times it was seriously like torture if you were outside. Mark, Sean, and i were parked together as usual. Sean mentioned before the event that maybe we should take fans with us, and its a good thing we did. We had 3 fans going, but i could swear that sometimes they only made things worse by blowing more hot air around. But either way, i dont think we would have survived without them. Sean took some temps of the area where we were parked, and the pavement in our area got as hot as 170+. So who knows what the track temps were like. As far as TTA drivers, there were 3 of us at this event. It was basically a very low attendance weekend in all the groups. So it was a pretty dead weekend. As far as the TTA regulars, it was only Team Meze Racing and myself. Karen didnt make this event, and the few other guys that have ran with us thus far were not there either. But Scott Sentirmay ran with us. He was running his Trans Am in TTB up until last year. He was planning on running TTA this year, but he has missed all of our events thus far. He basically couldnt get his car ready in time, but finally made it out for this event, so it was nice to finally see him back.

Since it was so hot, all i wanted to do the first day was to feel things out. I gradually got up to speed to check out my new overall brakes. I dont know how to explain it, but it was such a major relief to finally get my brakes to where they need to be. No more steering wheel shaking issues under braking! My brakes overall felt great. And, i was impressed as to how well the Girodisc 2 piece rotors dissipated the heat. However, like i stated before, im not going to get into details because the true test will be in the coming months. But ill say this much, even though i was skipping sessions due to the excessive heat, im impressed as to how they performed given the temps we were experiencing that weekend. I knew that i could have easily ran much faster, but my primary objective for Saturday was to test things out. So the best time i ran on Saturday was a 2:11.305 which was good enough for 1st place.

Since everything felt great on Saturday despite the heat, i was ready to push it a bit harder on Sunday. I was running with my heater on for Saturday and continued to run with the heater on for Sunday. It was just too hot to not run with it on. I got blocked early in my sessions during both sessions on Sunday, but nothing major. In both sessions my fastest lap was my last lap. In the second session i ran my fastest lap all weekend with a 2:08.934 which was again good for 1st place. If i wasnt blocked early i probably would have ran in the low-mid 2:08s, but given the conditions, im happy with my times. I know most people dont run 1 CCW because 13 CW is the more known configuration. But if any of you guys ever want to try a different configuration, try 1 CCW. I think its much more fun than 13 CW.

In the end, it was a really fun weekend despite the heat. We had some crazy Honda Challenge neighbors along with Mike Kojima, who were pretty entertaining. Im sure i have missed a bunch of details here and there since this was last weekend, but im sure some of you are glad that i have. Next event up we are back at Big Willow, which im sure will be plagued with the summer heat once again.

Again, a big thanks to Rigo and South Coast Mitsubishi for stepping up and helping me out. And thanks to Martin from Girodisc for his efforts to get me his rotors in time for this event. Without their efforts, im not sure what i would have done.

Socal NASA<br />Super Touring 2<br />Evo 9 #415<br /><br />RRE<br />SCM

Re: NASA TT results - Buttonwillow 1 CCW - June 21-22 2008

^^^
    That's all the detail I needed.
    CHAPTER 7 RACING -- &quot;I can&#039;t be broke, I&#039;m still racing!&quot;<br /><br />Track Day Car: 2003 Honda S2000 AP1 (NASA TTD &amp; SV S2K Challenge Stock Class)<br />Daily Driver:Â* 2006 Evo IX MR (bone stock)

Dont worry, there is plenty of detail on the way.

Good to hear that you are doing well. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller
    I was back competing at Buttonwillow this past weekend, June 21-22, but this time around we were running 1 CCW. Last time i was there was back on April 26-27 when we were running 13 CW. And before this past weekend, on June 7-8, i went up and competed with the Norcal NASA guys for the first time running on my first Norcal track, T-hill CCW with the T5 bypass. For those of you that have kept up with my ridiculously long threads youre probably aware that i have been having braking issues at my last 2 TTA weekend events. But before i get into details, for the time being, ill post up my results and get into the details later. Im waiting on a few things, so as soon as i sort through it all, ill get back to you guys with how my weekend unfolded. But for now, im happy to say that i was able to get through this past weekends intense heat, and walk away with 2 more wins.
    Thanks for the prologue Bueller

Well look what the wind blew in. We got Jason and Greg, i mean Mark, back together again! :)

- Jason, how is the SCCA treating you?

- Hey Greg, dont worry, ill have Tom _touch_ base with you later!

Well look what the wind blew in. We got Jason and Greg, i mean Mark, back together again! :)

Good. Just finished the June Sprints at Road America. We had 88 SRFs. Had a great time.

You leading the TTA class in Socal?

Quote Originally Posted by Barfly

Good. Just finished the June Sprints at Road America. We had 88 SRFs. Had a great time.

You leading the TTA class in Socal?
    88 SRFs? Wow, thats plenty. How did you finish? Yes, im leading the TTA class in Socal. Did you see my T-hill thread? I went up there for the first time 2 weeks ago. Wow, T-hill is so awesome. As far as my Socal standings, the pressure is on to finish strong. Because if i dont, Team Meze Racing or Karen can easily sneak past me if something happens to me within the next 8 events. This season has seriously turned into a full time job.

Did you get corn yet????
    EVO IX with lots of parts

Quote Originally Posted by smartbomb
    Did you get corn yet????
    Hello Mr. Mike Kojima. I got corn but i got DQd. On the bright side i heard you guys got a hot dog next door.

88 SRFs? Wow, thats plenty. How did you finish?
    Running top 15-20 times during practice.Â* So many cars, hard to get a clean lap.Â* Qualified with a 2:41.8 and in 34th position - 1s faster 2:40.8 was in 11th position, so basically 24 SRFs were spread over 1s.Â* The guy in front of me didn't qualify well either but is a frequent podium finisher, so I tucked behind him and we made up 10 spots in the first 3 laps.Â* I "nudged" him up the front straight when he got held up during a pass which bent my undertray reducing flow to the radiator.Â* I started overheating and had to come in to get it fixed.Â* They red flagged the group on the next lap due to a crash.Â* I was able to stay on the lead lap, but had to drop to dead last, somewhere in the 80s.Â* I had 7-8 laps to go, but managed to clear 50+ cars to finish in 32nd position.Â* I was a 1/2 second away from 2 more, but anything better than a top 30 was going to be impossible without someone to draft with.Â* Had I not damaged the car, I think I would have been able to get a top 15.Â* The guy I was drafting with earlier in the race finished 12th.Â* The top 10 were blazingly fast.Â* The national champoinships will be held there next year, so there should be 100 SRFs for the Sprints next June.

Good luck this year, and hope to see you at Mid Ohio.

Running top 15-20 times during practice.Â* So many cars, hard to get a clean lap.Â* Qualified with a 2:41.8 and in 34th position - 1s faster 2:40.8 was in 11th position, so basically 24 SRFs were spread over 1s.Â* The guy in front of me didn't qualify well either but is a frequent podium finisher, so I tucked behind him and we made up 10 spots in the first 3 laps.Â* I "nudged" him up the front straight when he got held up during a pass which bent my undertray reducing flow to the radiator.Â* I started overheating and had to come in to get it fixed.Â* They red flagged the group on the next lap due to a crash.Â* I was able to stay on the lead lap, but had to drop to dead last, somewhere in the 80s.Â* I had 7-8 laps to go, but managed to clear 50+ cars to finish in 32nd position.Â* I was a 1/2 second away from 2 more, but anything better than a top 30 was going to be impossible without someone to draft with.Â* Had I not damaged the car, I think I would have been able to get a top 15.Â* The guy I was drafting with earlier in the race finished 12th.Â* The top 10 were blazingly fast.Â* The national champoinships will be held there next year, so there should be 100 SRFs for the Sprints next June.
    Now that sounds like fun!!! O0
    CHAPTER 7 RACING -- &quot;I can&#039;t be broke, I&#039;m still racing!&quot;<br /><br />Track Day Car: 2003 Honda S2000 AP1 (NASA TTD &amp; SV S2K Challenge Stock Class)<br />Daily Driver:Â* 2006 Evo IX MR (bone stock)

88 SRFs? Wow, thats plenty. How did you finish?
    Running top 15-20 times during practice. So many cars, hard to get a clean lap. Qualified with a 2:41.8 and in 34th position - 1s faster 2:40.8 was in 11th position, so basically 24 SRFs were spread over 1s. The guy in front of me didn't qualify well either but is a frequent podium finisher, so I tucked behind him and we made up 10 spots in the first 3 laps. I "nudged" him up the front straight when he got held up during a pass which bent my undertray reducing flow to the radiator. I started overheating and had to come in to get it fixed. They red flagged the group on the next lap due to a crash. I was able to stay on the lead lap, but had to drop to dead last, somewhere in the 80s. I had 7-8 laps to go, but managed to clear 50+ cars to finish in 32nd position. I was a 1/2 second away from 2 more, but anything better than a top 30 was going to be impossible without someone to draft with. Had I not damaged the car, I think I would have been able to get a top 15. The guy I was drafting with earlier in the race finished 12th. The top 10 were blazingly fast. The national champoinships will be held there next year, so there should be 100 SRFs for the Sprints next June.

Good luck this year, and hope to see you at Mid Ohio.

That definitely does sound like fun. Im working on getting registered for Nationals right now. Ill drop you a line within the next week or so when i get situated.

But for now, im happy to say that i was able to get through this past weekends intense heat, and walk away with 2 more wins.
    Awesome!! Congrats! O0

when is the next episode in the braking saga scheduled to air ?
    &lt;a href=&quot;http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&amp;Itemid=37&amp;topic=6 3620.0&quot;&gt;<br />&lt;/a&gt;<br /><br />-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Rally - I don&#039;t need no stinkin&#039; epi pen to get my adrenalin rush !!!

Quote Originally Posted by smartbomb
    Did you get corn yet????
    Hello Mr. Mike Kojima. I got corn but i got DQd. On the bright side i heard you guys got a hot dog next door.
    I'll never eat a hot dog again
    EVO IX with lots of parts

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rally
    when is the next episode in the braking saga scheduled to air ?
    I just updated my first post to incorporate how my brakes unfolded for that weekend.

[ Im working on getting registered for Nationals right now.
    hey ed, are you towing you car yourself or are you shipping it and flying in.
    i'm trying to figure out arrangements right now to get my car back there as well.

my iphone freaked out and dumped all my numbers so i lost yours. give me a call when you get a few minutes .

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smack_evo
    [ Im working on getting registered for Nationals right now.
    hey ed, are you towing you car yourself or are you shipping it and flying in.
    i'm trying to figure out arrangements right now to get my car back there as well.

my iphone freaked out and dumped all my numbers so i lost yours. give me a call when you get a few minutes .

thanks
    I was wondering why you never called me back. Im registered but havent worked out the other details like parking and what not. Ill call you today.

Well, it was a pretty hot weekend. At times it was seriously like torture if you were outside.
    Congratulations on the win Bueller.

That Saturday was the closest Ive been to hell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast