Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evo 9 gains 53 hp and 55 ft-lbs from tune

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Evo 9 gains 53 hp and 55 ft-lbs from tune

This Evo 9 GSR belongs baylorar. The car had the following mods:

TRE 255lph fuel pump
    Ichiba 3" down pipe
    Helix 3" high flow cat (200 cell)(w/ 02 bung)
    RMR 3" cat-back exhaust (2 resonators)
    Invidia 02 housing
    PPI Ported Exhaust Manifold
    PPI Ported Hotside
    MUSE LICP
    AEM Intake (My favorite intake)

The owner wanted a baseline which I highly recommend. Only with a baseline can we tell what power the car gained from the tune. The fact that he had a stock boost hose also helped since we did not have to simulate stock boost with an MBC, a really fuzzy method.

So how did the boost and AFR numbers look on the baseline? They were HORRIBLE. Just take a look at the before and after boost below:

The stock boost would peak at a miserable three log AVERAGE of 17.55 psi, the lowest that I have seen. PEAK boost (highest of three logs) was 18.58. The boost would taper to an AVERAGE of 13.6 psi by redline and a PEAK of 14.5 psi by redline. These are really poor boost numbers.

With the #65 pill installed and the boost tuned, I was able to extract an AVERAGE boost of 22.6 psi, a 5.05 psi increase over stock boost. PEAK boost was 23 psi at full spool up. Redline AVERAGE boost increased 5.23 psi from 13.61 psi to 18.84 psi. PEAK boost at redline was 19.93 psi. I suspect that this car has a small boost leak, probably at the throttle seals. The owner is going to do a boost leak to see if there is one.

The un-tune AFR was also rich as hell. The AEM intake tends to richen the AFR. For those who have installed an intake without a tune, I suggest you do so to take full advantage of the intake. The before and after AFR is in the chart below:

The AFR before the tune was in the 10.xx:1 ratio from full spool all the way to redline. At 7000+ the AFR fell into the 9.xx:1 range. That is really rich. I leaned the AFR by 1 full point from spool up all the way to redline. The AFR is now solidly in the 11:1 range.

Given that the car had a horrible boost profile and was pig rich, I was expecting solid gains from the tune. This car had the most power gains that I have recorded, but the car did start from a very low baseline. Here is the before and after power graph:

Baseline weather: Temp 17*C; Humidity 80%; Baro 102 kpa
    Tuned Weather: Temp 18*C; Humidity 79%; Baro 102 kpa

The peak power gain was 48 hp and 54 ft-lbs of torque. But the area under the curve is where the real power is. The biggest power gain was 53 hp between 6500-7000 rpm. The biggest AVERAGE power gain was 50 hp from 5500 to 7000 rpm. The biggest torque gain 55 ft-lb from 4000 to 4500 rpm and the biggest AVERAGE torque gain was 53 ft-lbs from 3500 to 5000 rpm.

Re: Evo 9 gains 53 hp and 55 ft-lbs from tune

Nice Gains.

I was pretty surprised at how surprised Naji was at my shitty baselines. Good stuff though... not many mods and I put down good numbers. PPI porting, Invidia, and AEM intake does wonders to an evo.

Quote Originally Posted by PineApple
    Nice Gains.
    He lives!!

+1 on sick gains

Baylorar...........What are you planning for the repair of the boost leak?...(Future re-tune!).........BTW I have a tentative tune date w/ The Looney Tuning Team very soon...........Best Regards, Minus-pre
    Pro Jesus / Humble Yourself & read Ecclesiastes

I can't wait till i go.I'm a "WORKS WHORE" 02/down pipe ect.
    ANYTHING MORE THAN A IX , IS UN-ACCEPTABLE !!!! "MEANING X'S SUCK "

congrats......damn i need a re-tune.....

Nice. How much whp did it get ?

Quote Originally Posted by evocow
    Nice. How much whp did it get ?
    314 consistently.... but the area under the curve (and peak, I think) should get a bit higher if I can fix that damn boost leak

Quote Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
    Baylorar...........What are you planning for the repair of the boost leak?...(Future re-tune!).........BTW I have a tentative tune date w/ The Looney Tuning Team very soon...........Best Regards,Â* Minus-pre
    Planning to do a boost leak test here at my house... with the help of my roomie and hopefully it's obvious where the leak is.Â* If it isn't... I'm either going to get mil.spec throttle body seals, or maybe just get a new one.

Keep that tentative date.Â* Really fun day and your car comes aliveÂ* Â*^-^

You'll get it sorted out. When Naji tuned my Evo a couple of weeks ago, we found out that my stock boost control solenoid had taken a crap. Can't wait to return for a re-tune with my 3-port boost solenoid and up the boost a little. As it is even with the 19 psi or so of boost I'm limited, the car is a blast to drive.
    My Aquamist HFS-5 install: http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=361654

Quote Originally Posted by EvoJoe
    You'll get it sorted out. When Naji tuned my Evo a couple of weeks ago, we found out that my stock boost control solenoid had taken a crap. Can't wait to return for a re-tune with my 3-port boost solenoid and up the boost a little. As it is even with the 19 psi or so of boost I'm limited, the car is a blast to drive.
    Ahh that sucks man. With these cars... it's always something!

Yea, even though I'm not "maxed out" the car is a new beast

congrats baylorar.

car really woke up with naji lol.

O0
    Body Work Master.<br /><br />XBOX Live - Evo9GSR add me!!!<br />Parts for sale:http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...;topic=72056.0

nice gains.
    <br />&quot;This is my evo;there are many like it,but this one is mine.My evo is my bestfriend.It is my life;I must master it like I must master my life.Without me,my evo is useless.Without my evo,I am useless.I must streetrace my evo true.I must drive straighter than my enemy who is trying to run me.I must beat him before he beats me;I WILL.&quot;<br /><br /><br />i promise im stock officer!

daymn.... nice one bro...
    http://www.mediafire.com/?a0m7t71047dbqdi&nbsp; &lt;- Evo IX Manual

Great gains!! btw what aem intake is that? short ram or CAi?
    Fp green, aem intake, ets 3.5&quot; intercooler,nisei licp, Hks 264I/272e cams, Hks cam gears, megan o2, custom 3 inch o2 back ( magnaflow exhaust), invidia testpipe, pte 680 injectors, walbro 255lph, apexi ignition wires, gm 3 port solenoid andÂ* a forge RS bov<br />340whp 354wtq

Congrats Baylorar! Im sure the car feels sooo much stronger (even w/ the issue)! Very nice gains. Well done Naji! O0
    KT Motoring

SoCalEvo.net Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by pchan671
    Great gains!! btw what aem intake is that? short ram or CAi?
    AEM only makes a short ram for the Evo 8/9.

weak
    397WHPÂ*Â* 460TQ MD<br /><br />
    Cobra GT 500 today <br />« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 09:12:16 PM »<br />it is called low-end torque, something that an evo driver would never miss because they would never know.

Quote Originally Posted by fastforward2
    Quote Originally Posted by Robdog
    weak
    wow!
    ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast