Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: speakers or head unit?

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2005 evo GSR; 2013 335i, 2004 z4

Re: speakers or head unit?

One more vote for HU first.

When I got my VIII I transfered an mid-range Alpine HU over from my previous car, sounded a lot better than the stock one. So much so that I haven't replaced the speakers even though it's been almost 4 years now. I do have an amp/sub though, sounds good enough to me.

if ur gonna do it, do it right...

i say if ur gonna get a system setup... get the whole thing. even if you have to buy a HU, then rear speakers, then front components or what not... have it all done at once.. saves you on installation time and money as well if you are paying for it..

just my 2 cents
    Just Wicked....

THROW THE STOCK HEAD UNIT AWAY!! ITS POS!!! DO IT lol. yeah the headunit isnt so successful, and the speakers will fail with a powerful headunit. either way stock unit sounds crappy since evo isnt made for the luxery... anyways get yourself into someone nice, do it right the first time. if you need a nice amp or woofer =D lmk

I say HU. I was going to get one until my stock speakers started to go out. The point is that if the stock speakers are fine(and still under warranty) I'd change the source of my problem...the HU. If you adjust the settings just right, you'll get a decent sounding stock system with a HU. Then one day you can just change out the speakers and you'll appreciate changing them even more at that point rather than all at once or changing those first. Just my 2 cents.
    3&quot; Straight Pipe(no cat and muffler), Intake, Fuel Pump, Boost Controller, Tune.<br />

Are double din's worth it especially since you either have to buy a kit that doesnt exist or do a hack job on your stock piece. What are some decent single din options or maybe even the pop out screens.
    *06 Apex Silver MR*<br />Buschur TBE for sale. Send PM!

this my sound dumb but i love my infinity speakers with the sub of course so all i did was add the navi
    &lt;a href=&quot;http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&amp;friendID=128341 389&amp;albumID=1738688&amp;imageID=31550386&quot; &gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://hotlink.myspacecdn.com/images02/32/4788af0ac4f24a4cb19d77354a5b6117/m.jpg&quot; alt=&quot;&quot; /&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&amp;friendID=128341 389&amp;albumID=1738688&amp;imageID=31550253&quot; &gt;&lt;img src=&quot;http://hotlink.myspacecdn.com/images02/6/54d2ee5a044047438300c37c21dd36c9/m.jpg&quot; alt=&quot;&quot; /&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

save up your money and do it all at once!
    Just Wicked....

I added the double din headunit and rear speakers, with a sub. i like it but still cant hear that great with my loud ass exhaust on the freeway.. why??

because the stock speakers blow, need to replaced the stock fronts

^^ exactly my concern atm.. I dunno if these "sound upgrades" will do much since our cars have bascailly no sound deadning capabilities.. and if you have aftermarket exhaust you have constant grawl doing 70~80 on hwy..
    &quot;Looney Tuned&quot;

Evolved

Buying a bunch of after market speakers and running them in the stock head unit is like buying a HDTV and running crappy regular cable through it.

It will just make the crap sound even more obvious because the better speakers getting a still crap signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ixse
    ^^ exactly my concern atm.. Â*I dunno if these "sound upgrades" will do much since our cars have bascailly no sound deadning capabilities.. and if you have aftermarket exhaust you have constant grawl doing 70~80 on hwy..
    LOL yea bro your right, which is why im really in no hurry to upgrade my front speakers.. not expecting much of a difference because are exhausts are soo fuckin loud doing 70-80 on the highway lol..

with my sound upgrades i will admit it does sound fuckin good when im washing my car.. but then again the car is off :)

Evolved

just put your windows down and turn it up, the exhaust sounds goes away!

so does your hearing but O0

Evolved
    Cars
    2010 Cadillac CTS-V

I replaced my HU the other day and the additional settings really made things sound better. Â*But the front components being swapped out would be all I would need to do to make it all sounds stellar.

I say HU first, front speakers second, rear speakers third, amp/etc last if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mrobs15
    just put your windows down and turn it up, the exhaust sounds goes away!

so does your hearing butÂ* O0
    LOL yea i usually have it up pretty loud on the highway so i can hear my music good 8)

Comeon...$300.oo End the H/U portion of the quiz!

i would go with the unit and leave the speaker untill they go bad, normall aftermarket unit gives a little more power to the speaker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12