Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best wheel specifications for the track?

Re: Best wheel specifications for the track?

Quote Originally Posted by tanK
    Stock wheels, 255/40/17 will do fine. If you are starting out, don't start off on R-compounds. They have a "higher" break away limit than street tires. You will have to be haulin ass for them to start slipping... mix that with a relatively inexperienced/new driver and you could end up causing more damage. Start off on some street tires and call it a day.
    big +1 on the starting out comments. Take it easy, learn the limits, practice, practice, practice! However, when I moved up to r-comps I never noticed an uncontrollable break away, at least no more than street tires.

Back to wheels...
    Depending on what class you anticipate running, wheel choices can be difficult.

Stock class = OEM diameter / OEM width / OEM offset (I think) I know you can run a 1/4" spacer, not sure if you can run the same difference in offset.

Prepared classes = anything goes

Street tire classes = no idea?

17x9 255/40-17
    <br /><br />Alex: Anyway, I was wondering if maybe I could crash here for a while. <br />Dante: Whoa, I don&#039;t know, man. I got a business to run. This is like my office as well as my home. Plus, the lion comes in a couple days. <br />Alex: You&#039;re getting a lion? <br />Dante: Yeah. <br />Alex: Why? <br />Dante: To protect my shit. <br />Alex: Never heard of a dog? <br />Dante: Dude, you can get past a dog. Nobody fucks with a lion. <br />Alex: Yeah, that&#039;s true.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyawds
    Quote Originally Posted by tanK
    Stock wheels, 255/40/17 will do fine. If you are starting out, don't start off on R-compounds. They have a "higher" break away limit than street tires. You will have to be haulin ass for them to start slipping... mix that with a relatively inexperienced/new driver and you could end up causing more damage. Start off on some street tires and call it a day.
    big +1 on the starting out comments. Take it easy, learn the limits, practice, practice, practice! However, when I moved up to r-comps I never noticed an uncontrollable break away, at least no more than street tires.

Back to wheels...
    Depending on what class you anticipate running, wheel choices can be difficult.

Stock class = OEM diameter / OEM width / OEM offset (I think) I know you can run a 1/4" spacer, not sure if you can run the same difference in offset.

Prepared classes = anything goes

Street tire classes = no idea?
    lol not uncontrolled breakaway... never ran R's in auto-x but I can say for sure that you need more speed to get em loose on track.

Good point on auto-x limitations. You will be limited to the desired class you run in regards to tire size and even wheel selection at that point. HPDE's on the other hand... run whatever you want!

noob question - what does HPDE mean?
    Most people stumble over the truth, now and then, but they usually manage to pick themselves up and go on, anyway.Â* - Winston Churchill

High Performance Driving Event - aka track day (redline track event, speedventure, etc. etc.)

Just go to a track day with either of those 2 companies above and start out at Streets of Willow in the beginner class. If you have a great lap time from that class then move up and also go to other local tracks too.
    Evo 8 Rolling Chassis for sale, Intake Mani, throttle body &amp; Sensor, fuel rail, speed idle sensor, All side windows, Rear Window, ebrake, window mechanisms, sunroof window,Â*Pillars, heater core &amp; blower, oem front strut, oem mirrors, all 4 mounts - motor mount has a new AMS Poly Bushing and more to come, just ask me<br /><br />http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=84548.0

Cars
    Too Many!

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchboost
    Quote Originally Posted by GreaseFRT
    Are 18 inches too big? 17 too small? what is a good width? Wanted for autocross and track days. Should I use my stock IX Enkies and put slicks on those - then get DD rims? or vice versa. thanks!
    If you are just starting up get a set of stock wheels and put some 255/40/17 R Compounds on them.
    That will work just fine.
    The main reason to move up to 18's is to fit bigger brakes.
    A great starting point is stock wheels, r compounds, ss brake lines, fluid, pf97 brake pads, sway bar and alignment...
    Do that and over time you will "feel" where you car is lacking. Call Muellerized, and he will tell you what you need to make it work.

You don't need R-comps on your first track day. Your stock wheels with some street tires are fine. You will learn some car control with them. You have some snow/ice experience but this is a lot faster.....unless of course you did ice racing in the Northeast! 255/40/17 is a good size and will get you some fast times once you learn to drive your Evo fast. You should also upgrade your SS lines, and fluids, some decent brake pads and have fun!
    and to add to the Muellerized fan boi "ish" ..... call Muellerized and get a good alignment.

What do you mean by 'best'? For optimum handling, fuel mileage, safety and long life, stay with the stock rim and tire size: it has been figured out by experts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12