Thread: taller 5th gear for evo x?

taller 5th gear for evo x?

Has anyone looked into swapping in a taller 5th gear in their X? The so-so mileage and relatively high cruising RPM's seem to be one of the major gripes with the car. Any rumors about Mitsu doing it for the 2011+ cars?

Re: taller 5th gear for evo x?

Im getting ready to swap my 5th gear... shep racing has and updated main shaft and fifth gear that goes from 4.68 to 4.28 ratio witch would mean a good drop in RMP.... check it out sheptrans.com

Thanks for the reply. Here in AZ we spend sooo much time on the highway at 75-85 and from what I've read the stock 5th is just too short. Let me know how your new 5th works out. A 10% taller 5th in my DSM made a huge difference. At 75 mileage went from ~23mpg to almost 29mpg.

Ah, its a final drive change, not just a 5th gear swap. Be interesting to see how that changes driving the car overall. Be sure to write a review for it.

Will do!

i was considering the final gear change from shep too, but was afraid my car didn't have enough power to keep the car effective on the track...

keep us posted!

I think that would be the potential downside of changing the final drive vs a 5th gear change. Kinda like the old days of 3.73 vs 4:10 rearends.

3800 rpm @ 80mph = gas drinking

That's for sure. The 3300 at 80mph sounds way better. The question is how much of a penalty will you have in acceleration with the different final drive.

i think thats a good idea since we pretty much use 5th for highway and not on the track

The differences in gear speed doesn't seem too high for the Shep transmission final drive upgrade. I'd like to hear first hand experience with them too so if anyone has heard anything about someone doing the upgrade, link here O0

But, I've also been doing some research and there are companies in japan that make different 5th gear ratios for track cars. The only problem with that is that they are actually shorter gears for small courses like Tsukuba where high HP cars get put into 5th and they loose acceleration on the back straight. I'm sure if one of those tuners could be bothered enough, they could make a taller 5th gear for the X.
    Nick
    2010 GSR AEM/RRE

Cars
    10' WW CZ4A
    Not so sure if you will get a response from a 6 year old thread.

Cars
    2005 Evo MR; '98 corolla
    spamming posts removed.