Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E85 Conversion Questions / Mod Stages on Pg.1

E85 Conversion Questions / Mod Stages on Pg.1

Modifications needed to convert* (Corrections or Suggestions?)

Basic EVO 8 & 9 Mods needed

E85 Stage 1 Upgrade

1. Fuel Pump upgrade / Walbro 255LPH
    2. Larger Fuel Injectors / 1000cc preferred
    3. Supporting Mods (3” Turbo Back Exhaust / HFC or Test Pipe / Drop-in High Flow Air Filter)
    4. 3-Port Boost Solenoid / Manual Boost Controller
    5. ECU Map Switching capability (E85 & 91 Map)
    6. Tune / ECU Flashed w/ Tephra V5.1 or V7 / Note: Tuner should adjust cold start Fuel Enrichment Tables. *Note: Moderate boost 25-27psi

E85 Stage 2 Upgrade / All of Stage 1 & below

1.*Cams
    2. Head Studs
    3. Valve Springs
    4. High Flow Open Element Filter
    5. O2 Housing (Optional)
    6. High Boost Setting* (27.1psi & up)
    7. Drive Train Considerations (Twin Disc Clutch & Trans upgrades)

E85 Stage 3 Upgrade / All of Stage 1 & 2 & below

1. Turbo upgrade
    2. Larger Injectors / 1000cc & up
    3. Double Pumper Fuel Pump
    4. Coil over Plug upgrade
    5. Intake Manifold upgrade
    6. O2 Housing
    7. Ported exhaust Manifold / Header
    8. Blow off valve upgrade
    9. High Boost Setting (30 psi & up)
    10. Twin Disc Clutch & Trans upgrades

Supporting Threads / Forums

SoCalEVO / E85 Gas Stations
    http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...&topic=68522.0

E85 Supplier Forum/ Pearson Fuels
    http://pearsonfuels.com/forums/index.php

When You're Really E85 Sick / Join Here
    http://e85vehicles.com/e85/index.php

EvolutionM Alternative Fuel Thread
    http://forums.evolutionm.net/alternative-fuel-225/
    Pro Jesus / Humble Yourself & read Ecclesiastes

Re: Draining Fuel Tank / E85 Conversion

there are drain plugs one on each side of the tank, but you really dont need to drain the tank jus make sure your fuel needle is below the E line before fillin up with e85.. hope that helps bud
    NOS is like a girl with a std, you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences<br /><br />[quote author=blaze-619 link=topic=108212.msg8137152#msg8137152 date=1302116871]<br />Can&#039;t fuck with an angel.<br />[/quote]<br />[quote author=phoreal link=topic=108212.msg8137157#msg8137157 date=1302117146]<br />i fucked a stripper named angel <br />[/quote]<br />[quote author=pureIX link=topic=108212.msg8137163#msg8137163 date=1302117399]<br />lol, win<br />[/quote]

Hey Joe, no need to drain the tank, just run the 91 until you see the light on the dash for low fuel. Fill up the baby with e85, switch the map and you're good to go. At the first the car may idle a little rough, but as soon as the fuel goes through the system, you'll be on hight heaven.

The same applies when you're running a little low on e85 and to have to use 91. The only difference is, you become grumpy on using such horrible gas.

Welcome to the family. e85 FTW!
    Evo IX (Win), Evo X (Good DD) O0

Quote Originally Posted by phoreal
    there are drain plugs one on each side of the tank, but you really dont need to drain the tank jus make sure your fuel needle is below the E line before fillin up with e85.. hope that helps bud
    +1
    .... and I wouldn't start boosting till after u used up about 1/4+tank of E85 and filled up again...

keep an eye on your afr (if you have a wideband) and enjoy!

Thank you.......I am concerned about diluting the E85 since I have not been tuned for it

Posted by: sneakypete
    Insert Quote
    Hey Joe, no need to drain the tank, just run the 91 until you see the light on the dash for low fuel.* Fill up the baby with e85, switch the map and you're good to go.* At the first the car may idle a little rough, but as soon as the fuel goes through the system, you'll be on hight heaven.

The same applies when you're running a little low on e85 and to have to use 91.* The only difference is, you become grumpy on using such horrible gas.

Welcome to the family.* e85 FTW!
    Thanks Peter........First, I want to thank you again for letting me drive your car which started my bad case of E85 fever .......Second,* I will not have the capability to switch maps & will solely be on the E85 to start........I am concerned about showing up for my tune w/ diluted E85 =)

Posted by: sxe_davexxx
    +1
    .... and I wouldn't start boosting till after u used up about 1/4+tank of E85 and filled up again...
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    keep an eye on your afr (if you have a wideband) and enjoy!
    Thanks Dave.....This might work........I can run the car until almost tank dry & then fill up fully w/ E85......I take it the engine will still run & will keep it out of boost until Ive burned a 1/4 tank & then fill up again & get my tune.......Anyways,* I'm excited about switching fuels.......Just need my Tuner to contact me..........Thanks guys

^^ you cant run e85 on the way to tune your car wont run right. unless you fill your car up right before you tune at the tuners place of business.
    NOS is like a girl with a std, you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences<br /><br />[quote author=blaze-619 link=topic=108212.msg8137152#msg8137152 date=1302116871]<br />Can&#039;t fuck with an angel.<br />[/quote]<br />[quote author=phoreal link=topic=108212.msg8137157#msg8137157 date=1302117146]<br />i fucked a stripper named angel <br />[/quote]<br />[quote author=pureIX link=topic=108212.msg8137163#msg8137163 date=1302117399]<br />lol, win<br />[/quote]

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Why no map switching?

Still, just show up to the tune on 91 fumes (that needle can go pretty low!) and have enough E-85 in jugs to filler to the top. You are making this too hard.

Mike W

^^ you cant run e85 on the way to tune your car wont run right. unless you fill your car up right before you tune at the tuners place of business.
    Thanks again.......I thought I could limp it in under no boost

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W
    Why no map switching?

Still, just show up to the tune on 91 fumes (that needle can go pretty low!) and have enough E-85 in jugs to filler to the top. You are making this too hard.

Mike W
    Thanks Mike........I maybe calling you today about pricing & install on a Zeitronix unit

Experienced

An even easier method is to bring an empty 5 gallon container with you to where ever it is that you are going to be tuned an take off your fuel return line and drain it into the container..nice and easy.

Re: E85 Conversion Question

^^^Thanks Ben......Appreciate your advice on the fuel drain issue.......Ive been researching E85 & was about ready to buy the a map switch cable harness from the guy on EVOM & order the GroupS solenoid until I read the thread on EVOM regarding injector contamination here:

http://forums.evolutionm.net/alterna...nk-e-85-a.html

There seems to be growing evidence that E85 used on non-compliant vehicles can damage or degradate the fuel tank & lines......Anyways, My concern light went on big time tonight after researching the WEB & learning that E85 compliant cars usually have metal fuel lines & tanks unlike our EVO's.

I'm disappointed & has defused my desire to do the Mod at this point.....I might have to settle for cams, tune & the weak 91.....Your input on this issue is appreciated.

Evo Guru
    Cars
    Audi S4

If you get tooned by RRE, i believe they include the toggle switch in the price of the tune. If its not included, i'm sure its not that expensive.
    Graphic/Interior Design,Branding &amp;amp; Identities, Invitations <br />www.nomadic-nomads.com

^^^Thanks Simon.......My concern is right above you =)......And Im sure you have seen this thread.......let me know what you think......Thanks Joe

Motor on E85 after 250+ quarter mile passes and 15,000 street miles

This car does 10.05 @ 132 MPH on E85

Thought you guys would like to see this. After two seasons on E85 I took the heads off and started to disassemble for inspection before it gets sold.

Engine is SBC 4.145" bore x 3.800" stroke with SRP forged flat top pistons. This is a solid roller cammed engine that is 11.4:1 compression and has been run almost exclusively on E85 since spring 2007. It did have 6 months run time on gasoline before the switch. I was surprised at how clean everything is -- I have NEVER seen pistons this clean after 2 years of use.

There was no ridge at the top of the cylinders, and no scoring or other signs of a lubrication problem in the bores. Engine has 250+ quarter mile passes on it and 15,000 street miles.

http://evoempire.org/index.php/topic...-street-miles/

-Joe

Thought u might want to see this...

Not taking sides (E85), but in regards to the link you posted, don't believe everything you read... take it all in, and decide for yourself....

Thanks for link btw...

Experienced

I've read that thread regarding the contaminated injectors and do not see how it can be the result of ethanol. If any corrosion were to take place in the injectors from comin in contact with ethanol, I would imagine that the damage would look more like a degredation of the material, not a black tar like substance. Also, after readin that thread on evom it sounds as if the damage to the injectors was caused either prior to the E85 switch and just noticed afterwards, or becasue of some other problem. That gunk looks more like oil then E85. Either way, next week when I put in my new double pumper and fuel rail, I'll take pics of my precision 1000's that have seen about 15k on E85 easy and post them up.

hmm if a motor can look that clean after 15k and so many track days i doubt its goin to hurt anything...

jus make the switch and relax dude there has yet to be a "e85 ruined my motor" thread here, the only ppl that have to worry about running e85 and messing sumthing up is the X's due to their crappy intank fuel line..

goodluck on your decision on catching the corn train O0

SoCalEvo.net Shop

My concern light went on big time tonight after researching the WEB & learning that E85 compliant cars usually have metal fuel lines & tanks unlike our EVO's.
    Maybe in the internets EVOs have different gas tanks. But EVOs in the physical realm have metal gas tanks. All cars have flexible fuel lines between the chassis and motor. E-85 or not. Again this is getting way too hard for no reason. Where I come from people that run E-85 buy RC 1000s, usually already have a 255 fuel pump and the switch and harness mod is included in the toon price. Looking through the dyno log files we have over 50 cars running around flexi fuel style starting two years ago now.

Mike W

Mike W

i can understand the op being a little on the fence about e85. but you have to stand by the numbers that mike w is talking about. there are more than 5 evos running around with e85 well over 2 years... you can hit up ppl like sideways evo... and he could tell you all about good e85 (less gas mix) vs pure e85. either way... you have to do a little bit more research in the evo community to see what ppl have been doing and what its doing to their cars.

some of the rainbow stuff you read will be pushing you to go buy a true flexfuel car so you dont do a convert. heck you should do some research on what is needed to convert your car to flexfuel... those post have yet to come up in here...(but i am too lazy to read everything.. this is the internet).

sorry to rant... but if you are this stuck on not getting it tuned for e85... or wanting ppl to talk you out of it. why dont u just walk away from the idea of e85 and go with hundo. or c16.... (u may never fine a place that sales 100% 100 or c16.. but it sounds like you are just looking for piece of mind). goodluck
    Now that is how you drive.. from now on.. I want you to drive like that..... -Bad Boys I,II,III,ect...<br />

Thanks to all for the input......Certainly not trying to ring the alarm for no good reason but my EVO E85 compatibility light went on......I am probably making too much of it but the subject deserved my attention....(If you knew what I did for work you all would understand)

Posted by: Mike W
    Maybe in the internets EVOs have different gas tanks. But EVOs in the physical realm have metal gas tanks. All cars have flexible fuel lines between the chassis and motor. E-85 or not.
    Mike W
    Mike, I certainly respect you & your comments but wanted to confirm your statement of the metal gas tank & E85 compliant fuel lines......Thanks

December will be one year for me and during that 12 month period, I've only filled my tank three times with 91.

There is one problem with e85 and one complaint we all share, it's freaking amazing :D

Crack baby, crack. My baby loves every moment on it.
    Evo IX (Win), Evo X (Good DD) O0

Evo Guru
    Cars
    Audi S4

I've been using E85 since Jan 2008
    Graphic/Interior Design,Branding &amp;amp; Identities, Invitations <br />www.nomadic-nomads.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast