Thread: Taking Evo to BigBear 1st time...?

Taking Evo to BigBear 1st time...?

So I'm taking the evo(x) up to bigbear for the first time and have a couple of question for people that go up there on a regular basis. I have potenza AS tires stamped with a m-s rating meaning they are ok for snow. My question if it's not required do I need to put chains on my car? I really don't to put chains on my car and heard that you probably don't want to fear of messing up TC? True? When I start heading up the moutain will they check my tires to see if it's ok for the snow or is that up to me? Sorry for such a noob question

Evolved

Re: Taking Evo to BigBear 1st time...?

Depends on the conditions, sometimes they will require chains no matter what... Other times AWD/4WD cars can get away with no chains. Look into it before you head up there.

^^^ what he said.. and don't think evos are invinsible in snow.. even w/ m/s rated tires it's still very dangerous depending on amount of snow on the road..
    "Looney Tuned"

m+s and awd drive is good to go. unless it is level 3 or something like that which basically means blizzard!! lol

considering its going to rain this weekend its probably going to snow quite a bit. I would carry chains just in case. I have all season tires and the last time I went up it was required on all cars even all wheel drive cars. The chains messed up my se bbs pretty bad so be careful.

It was pretty bad last time I went up. They shut down hwy 18 and 38, it was blizzard like conditions and all the power in big bear went out. We went the back route up the 15 through lucerne valley it was a ten hour trip mostly because there was traffic from all the non awd cars getting stuck on the icy inclines. The evo handled like a champ where most cars were just reversing down the mountain because they had no other choice the evo was hauling ass with 4 people in it. Needless to say my girl said she found new respect for my car even though she hates it.

^crap! Hope it's not like that this weekend! Suppose to rain. Maybe we pick the wrong weekend to go. Glad we didn't book a room up there. Thanks for the advice everyone.

ALSO once back from big bear, wash ur car asap, and spray underneath of it cuz if snow they put salt on the roads and causing for rust to build if not washed.....

and you should be good O0

kind of late i know...

Yeah it was dirty and full of gunk! Evo handles perfect in the icy roads.

Cars
    EVO X MR

Im too low, front lip will fuck up