Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AEM Intercooler Kit + AEM Intake

AEM Intercooler Kit + AEM Intake

I was fortunate to hook up with AEM and they tested the fitment of their products on my 2013 GSR.
    I ended up with a free intercooler, uicp, licp, intake and a strut bar. :D Here is my short review of these parts.
    The AEM intercooler is 3.5 inches thick and its welding/quality looks great. It doesn't have the "cool" black lettering like
    the other brands, but I'm sure that doesn't result in less horsepower. The uicp and licp look really nice in compare to stock.
    They even appear nicer than the other options in the market. Most of you are familiar with the AEM intake. It is already the most
    popular intake option. I also received a strut bar. I know that our cars come with one. I'm not sure how this one improves the
    performance, but it sure compliments the rest of AEM products under the hood.

Re: AEM Intercooler Kit + AEM Intake

This setup added another 10whp over my old setup on the same dyno (different day).
    My car did 340hp/340tq with Cosworth drop-in, Agency Power CBE, MXP test pipe and 3 port BCS.
    http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...topic=125478.0
    Now it is 350hp/340tq with the addition of AEM intake and intercooler kit.
    I will post my dyno chart tomorrow, once I get it from Mike at Road Race Engineering.

Why did you go with AEM over other companies? I also have a 2013 GSR and planned on getting aftermarket intake and intercooler, but wasn't sure what brand to go with. I was thinking AEM for both, but a lot of my buddies were telling me to go with ETS. Any information would be highly appreciated. 😁👍

Experienced
    Cars
    2012 Lancer Ralliart, 2011 CBR600RR, 2007 Expedition EL, 1998 Eclipse GS, 1990 300ZX Fairlady, 2013 Outlander Sport

Price points for these parts besides the intake would be great.

Too bad I just ordered a UICP from MAP or I'd jump for the AEM. Most cops in the SoCal area know alot of AEM stuff is CARB legal so they don't even ask questions about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    Og make gas tank empty, put different gas in car, flip switch, make with right foot heavy. Og make good.

are the end tanks on the intercooler cast?

looks good, and def looks like cast end tanks.

The thin line is before and the thick line is after.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDamianParrott
    Why did you go with AEM over other companies? I also have a 2013 GSR and planned on getting aftermarket intake and intercooler, but wasn't sure what brand to go with. I was thinking AEM for both, but a lot of my buddies were telling me to go with ETS. Any information would be highly appreciated. 😁👍
    I didn't pick AEM, AEM picked my car to test their product on a 2013 EVO. :)
    I was very happy, since AEM is a reputable company and I ended up with these parts.
    I always liked the AEM intake, but I didn't want to spend the extra money on my initial setup.
    I had no idea that AEM made an Intercooler kit for our cars and I wanted a mild tune anyways, so
    an intercooler upgrade wasn't in my wish list. Now I'm eyeing different turbo and e85. lol
    This forum is bad for my family budget. haha

Quote Originally Posted by deprydation
    Price points for these parts besides the intake would be great.

Too bad I just ordered a UICP from MAP or I'd jump for the AEM. Most cops in the SoCal area know alot of AEM stuff is CARB legal so they don't even ask questions about it.
    I saw them around $530-$600 for intercooler and $300-$330 for uicp and licp together, online.

standing buy for lord, Mike W's opinion.....

Cars
    8 MR, 10 GSR, EG6, CRV

Quality looks nice on everything.
    Congrats on the score O0
    *KTMotoring Tuned*

Were there any changes made to the tune?

Quote Originally Posted by amaev05
    Were there any changes made to the tune?
    My retune took longer than my initial tune. (almost 4 hours)

Quote Originally Posted by amaev05
    standing buy for lord, Mike W's opinion.....

is it just me looking at the picture wrong or is the intercooler jacked up over to the driver side a little. it doesnt look centered. but i am also awaiting for opinions.
    Usual bolt-ons, Walbro 255, Stock turbo, Stock Injectors, 3-port+tune=308WHP/308WTQ on california's 91 octane by Tuning Technologies

SoCalEvo.net Shop

AEM asked me about the EVO X market and what and how to build something different than what was already out there. They came pretty late to the party. With all their rapid prototype equipment, CAD design, 3D printers and deep pockets I expected something really cool after hearing their enthusiasm and giving them ideas. I suggested wider than all the other intercoolers which limit themselves to 20" wide because of the black plastic filler panels on each side. I thought they could go 22" and then a guy would have an option to trim the black plastic back for more cooling face. They would have had the ability to make an end tank that would make it work or use a cast 90 elbow for better fitment under the plastic cover or fit to a wider core. On Tim Smith's car and a few others that we have custom built EVO X FMICs on we were able to fit 24" cores.

So with all this info... they built a core that was 18" wide :-/ It does not even fill the too small stock opening and sits offset to one side. They made the upper pipe to where you need to trim the black plastic upper radiator filler panel. They give you a nice template to trim it, but how you are going back for warranty with that big hole in your filler panel? AEM really fucked this up. Normally I'd take a bullet while defending their engineering and design process... not for this part :-p

In the case of this customer he got an additional 10 whp and it filled in his torque better for $200 (price of a retune). Do I recommend $200 for 10 whp? Oh hell yeah! For about $1000 for the intake and FMIC and pipe plus $200 labor plus $200 retune? Not so much. His car was at the perfect sweet spot for HP/$ ratio so it was difficult to improve on for sure. Mitsubishi did a pretty good job of matching everything to the stock turbo.

Mike W

That's what I thought I saw. Yea its odd the big budget company's can not come up with anything spectacular.... or even competitive.

Hello everyone.
    * I have attached AEM's project summary for the Evo FMIC. This will help address some concerns that many of you have. Eg: Why is the front mount off set? The front mount is purposely off set to house a larger (Passenger side) end tank. The end tank has an internal air foil (Please read project summary to help better understand why we use this feature). Eg: Another concern that many of you have was why we did not use a larger core (The summary will give a better understanding why we did not need a larger core.). We opted not to use a deeper and wider core for two reasons. First we did not want to use a deeper core ,because it would compromise the safety of the vehicle by removing or cutting critical safety components. Second, we did not want to use a larger core, because that would force the end user to cut and, or modify more of the vehicle. Just by reading some of the threads, there already seems to be concerns of cutting the top cover to accommodate the larger upper charge pipe. Therefore we tried our best to engineer a kit that would yield power, work efficiently, and is installer friendly. I hope this helps and gives everyone a better understanding of AEM FMIC. Thanks for everyone for taking the time to follow up on this.

Cars
    2008 GG MR (SSS) & 2008 WW GSR

Thanks for the write up and I especially value the info from Mike and Ken's response.

My question is, how do people get selected to have the "test" car for parts? I have seen a few people on other forums who have crazy good builds done for next to nothing because their car was selected to test a new setup/part/etc. Don't want to thread hijack but this is just one of a few recent examples where I've read about someone getting some free work/parts and it has to be more than just, "I was in the right place at the right time."
    Sponsored by Genome Tuning, 5150 Racing, and RJ Coatings.

Experienced
    Cars
    1995 Ford Probe GT, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6, 2013 GSR

Hmmm... This is actually quite an interesting question matter about airflow and intercooler design.

I suspect at the end of the day the actual benefits to be gained are fairly negligible between well known competing aftermarket intercoolers as long as power levels aren't being pushed to the extreme. So for the vast majority of owners it probably ends up being a matter of brand preference and looks and not worrying too much whether a particular design philosophy will yield an extra couple of wheel horses.

There seems to be some merit in the AEM intercooler design philosophy. Smaller intercooler core, but better inlet tank design yielding more efficient use of the existing core. There is some drawback to this though because part of the core is blocked by the front fascia anyway, so utilizing a part of the core that isn't immediately in the airstream is kind of a waste anyway.

Maybe if the entire intercooler face could be completely exposed to the airstream their design philosophy would pay bigger dividends?
    RRE Tuned (bolt ons, flex fuel), West End Alignment (KW v3 coils)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast