Thread: Looking for a shop is LA that does good work (more info inside)

Cars
    2010 Apex Silver Evo X

Looking for a shop is LA that does good work (more info inside)

During my downpipe install, the very last bolt on the stock 02 housing broke... So i spent all night and the next morning trying to drill the stupid stud out of the turbo flange. I finally made it all the way through but the hole still isn't the size of the bolts that are supposed to be there.... I need to find a shop near Torrance that will redrill the hole and make some new threads so I can get a bolt in there... If any of that makes sense :P... If anyone can lead my to the right place, let me know! Thanks in advance.

Also... the title is supposed to say in LA... My bad..

Cars
    2010 Apex Silver Evo X
    No one knows a shop that could handle this sort of job?

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9
    U mite want to hit up RRE. Ur in Torrance?

Cars
    2010 Apex Silver Evo X
    Yeah I'm in torrance. I will hit em up for sure. I have been there before but it wasn't regarding my evo. I didn't think of them being an option, thanks.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

You need threads in the turbine exhaust housing repaired? Is the part off the car?

Mike W

Cars
    2010 Apex Silver Evo X
    No it is on the car... When I was installing the downpipe the last bolt broke and we drilled it out with the downpipe off of the car and through the passenger side wheel well. There's a little fragment left of the stud that i couldn't drill out so the hole still isn't the normal size that it's supposed to be.
    Last edited by apex_kurt; 04-04-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: fixed an error

SoCalEvo.net Shop

This is EVO X then?

90% of the time the turbo needs to come off to do it right. Then by the time you put it together enough to drive it anywhere then they'll take it all apart there again... sheesh. It gets expensive.

Mike W

Cars
    2010 Apex Silver Evo X
    The car is fully operational with no leaks off of the downpipe/02 housing so it can make it to wherever I need to get it.

Cars
    2010 Apex Silver Evo X
    Yeah it's a X... The whole thing was going smooth until that very last bolt on the bottom right corner of the turbine exhaust housing. It was the only thing that gave an issue.... Or else the install would have been perfectly fine.

Cars
    2010 Apex Silver Evo X
    There's space for a bolt/nut combo if I have to opt for it with the MAP downpipe considering there's more space to work with. I guess my main concern though is getting the rest of the stud out...

Quote Originally Posted by apex_kurt View Post
    The car is fully operational with no leaks off of the downpipe/02 housing so it can make it to wherever I need to get it.
    If it's the pita bolt everybody talks about I read that some guys just leave it alone.

The good thing is you can take it anywhere to fix as your option but like Mike says they would most likely take the turbo off which isn't cheap.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

If you want nice threads for a permanent solution for the future the turbo will most likely have to have to come off. If like you say there is room for a nut on the back side, and you dont want to pay a lot to fix it and dont mind some Mickey Mouse, then just blow through it with a good sharp drill bit. Get a real cobalt drill bit from an industrial supply place and do it yourself. If you are going for a big turbo anyways in the not too distance future then maybe just rig it for now yourself cheap.

For all these reasons we usually recommend a short down pipe for stock turbos and big down pipes for upgraded turbos. With a long down pipe all these same bolts need to come back out and go back in successfully every time you change your clutch.

Mike W

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9
    Ur welcome! Btw check out the Southbay 310 meet thread.

Cars
    2010 Apex Silver Evo X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    If you want nice threads for a permanent solution for the future the turbo will most likely have to have to come off. If like you say there is room for a nut on the back side, and you dont want to pay a lot to fix it and dont mind some Mickey Mouse, then just blow through it with a good sharp drill bit. Get a real cobalt drill bit from an industrial supply place and do it yourself. If you are going for a big turbo anyways in the not too distance future then maybe just rig it for now yourself cheap.

For all these reasons we usually recommend a short down pipe for stock turbos and big down pipes for upgraded turbos. With a long down pipe all these same bolts need to come back out and go back in successfully every time you change your clutch.

Mike W
    Yeah I'm hoping to be switching turbos in the near future so I was hoping this wouldn't be a very big deal. According to one of the other responses as well someone said that some people leave the bolt alone, but I'm just going to get something there just to be safe for now. I wasn't necessarily aware of the big/small downpipe recommendation but I wish I would have heard sooner haha. The stud breaking made it such a horrible time.

BudLightMike
    You cannot go wrong with RRE. They are great people and very helpfull.