Thread: Long Overdue Tuning Technologies Review

Cars
    GG EVO IX MR

Long Overdue Tuning Technologies Review

My previous car was a black 2006 Charger SRT8. I spent way too much money on it and realized I was trying to create an Evo. I installed KW variant 2 coilovers, sway bars, strut tower braces, full bushing replacement and all the bolt-ons and tune. I installed AMG paddle shifters because I wanted more engagement in the driving experience. It wasn’t until I did some spirited runs around a local lake (Otay Reservoir) in 2008 with a friend who had a bone stock Evo that I thought “man, that is an awesome car”. I just couldn’t get past being a 230 pound white Navy SEAL driving an Evo! haha

I said screw it and bought car in 2011 and went to a meet shortly after. I spoke with a guy who mentioned RRE, Reese and Tuning Technologies (TT). He said TT it is more of a word of mouth establishment that makes you feel welcome and part of the process but as capable as RRE and heads above Reese.

I started doing my homework. Reese was the logical first choice as he was local and the convenience was alluring. I talked to him on the phone and later drove to the shop. After meeting him I decided there is no way this tool is tuning my car. I then did a lot of homework and reading reviews/threads about RRE and TT. I sifted through all the biased/fan boy information and came to the conclusion that both seem like class act businesses that do great work and have loyal fan bases. I spoke to both shops on the phone. RRE was extremely professional. TT was extremely professional and “personable”.

For me, that was the tipping point. I ended up exchanging multiple emails and phone calls with Alfred with him answering my questions and offering advice. He took a genuine interest in getting to know what’s important to me…business rule number one. Alfred respected my time, energy, and money…important resources. We tend to like people who are like ourselves.

I made the two-hour drive to “Rivercide” and was greeted at the shop by Alfred and Jen. They greeted me as a friend and we went over what we had discussed and about the install and dual map tune. The shop was busy and there were lots of cars there. Alfred took periodic breaks and made the rounds talking and getting to know his customers. After Randy did the installations Alfred got busy on the dyno. My brother was there with me in their great waiting area and we played X-Box for the first time…”Call Of Duty”. I have since purchased an X-Box…reliving the glory days…haha. Alfred called us in to the shop for some photo ops during the tuning. At the end of the day Alfred took the car for a test drive to ensure everything was good to go. Alfred and Jen’s kids came up to the shop after school and I got a chance to talk with them as well. GREAT kids! I had a great experience at Tuning Technologies. In today’s economical environment it is good to see folks that value the customer.

Since then, I have wanted to become more mechanical in nature. I decided I wanted to do a clutch pill delete and rearrange my USDM rear differential to the JDM arrangement. Both times, I had some questions during the process. I called Tuning Technologies and they talked me through the process…all knowing they are busy and surely have better things to do. Plainly stated…they value the customer.

In the seven months, I have made the two-hour drive three times for various routine procedures. I have never felt so welcomed and appreciated by a business. These folks know how to treat customers and they do great work.

Oh, and the car drives awesome. It made 393 on E85 and 329 on 91 Octane. The drivability is better than stock and it screams like a raped ape (see mods in signature). The plans for later this year are stage II (ported intake manifold, ported exhaust manifold, 65mm throttle body, cams, 25psi WGA, head studs…and some suspension mods).
    Last edited by RallyBud; 04-17-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    Driver Mods: Team O'Neil Rally School x3, Bondurant Driving School, European Rally School, ITI Driving School. *All 6 Days*
    Car Mods:AMS FMIC/UICP/LICP/TBE/Small Battery/SS Clutch Line, 3 Port Boost, Swift Sport Springs, AEM Intake, Invidea o2 Housing, Synapse DV, ACT HDSS Clutch, Walbro 255, PTE 1200cc Injectors , Clutch Pill Delete, Progress 27mm RSB, Ichiba V2 15mm, BINARY Lowering Brackets, JDM Rear Diff Mod
    E85 393/360 Tuning Technologies