Thread: battery died, service engine soon light on now ...

Cars
    03 TB VIII

battery died, service engine soon light on now ...

Hey SCE Fam!

I'm hoping ya'll can help me figure out what's going on ... I got an 03' with barely 88k miles on it, never had any issues before, ever! The beginning of this week while on my lunch break the battery died when I was listening to the radio with the car off after only a few 5 mins, which I thought was really weird. But by the time I got off work (a few hours later) I went to start it, it clicked a few times, then started right up. After that periodically throughout the week I was having issues with it starting; some days it would start just fine and others it would lag but I never needed a jump. Today it died completely, just sitting, parked. I went to start it this morning and nothing; it didn't click or try to turn over at all. So I pull my fiance's car out and get the jumper cables ready, get into my car, and decide to try it again. It clicks now, turns over, and starts! WHAT THE HECK?! Now my "Service Engine Soon" light is on, which has never been before ... any ideas guys???

Thanks for your time & consideration!

Many blessings,
    -B
    But because of his great love 4 us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive w/ Christ even when we were dead in sin—it is by grace u have been saved. And God raised us up w/ Christ and seated us w/ him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. - Ephesians 2:4-7 (NIV)

Cars
    Dodrio
    Did you check the code?

It could be one of these...
    1. Cam position sensor
    2. Starter

Waka waka - I'm a slowpoke
    Doc Mosh #1 fan boy

^^^^^^ what did guy said
    = for all your needs call Alfred@TTech -909-783-1200

Cars
    Evo IX MR - 2G Eclipse GST -3G Eclipse (Sold)
    For me there is nothing more than a died battery. Other is check codes even in pepboys or another friend with a OBDII reader. For me is not weird. I had issues with my DSM and other old cars like this one.
    You should realize your car is 10 years old and everybody will start replacing parts.

JFA EVO 9 MR - Track and Mountain Yeah

dead battery
    = for all your needs call Alfred@TTech -909-783-1200

Cars
    03 TB VIII
    No, I haven't checked the code because I figure wherever I take it they'll charge me and I'm low on funds right now ...
    But because of his great love 4 us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive w/ Christ even when we were dead in sin—it is by grace u have been saved. And God raised us up w/ Christ and seated us w/ him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. - Ephesians 2:4-7 (NIV)

Cars
    03 TB VIII
    Quote Originally Posted by evo_jfa View Post
    For me there is nothing more than a died battery. Other is check codes even in pepboys or another friend with a OBDII reader. For me is not weird. I had issues with my DSM and other old cars like this one.
    You should realize your car is 10 years old and everybody will start replacing parts.
    Yeah, I suppose that makes the most sense. Despite the car is 10 years old it's been very well maintained and never had any issues whatsoever so it's probably, hopefully something simple like the battery. I have an extra yellow top somewhere that I will swap out to see if that works ...

Although, I went to start it this morning and it wouldn't start, again. However, all the power worked i.e. door locks, windows, radio, etc ... wouldn't none of those things work if the battery was the issue??

nothing more than a dead battery... replace it and you'll be fine.

although the battery has enough juice to power the windows, locks etc. it won't have enough to power the starter and turn the motor.

check the code.

Cars
    2003 Evo 8 GSR and 2015 Subaru Forester 2008 Lancer
    Battery
    Alternator
    Cam position sensor-due to ses light
    Starter

Start first just replacing your battery cos thats the cheapest way to start:)

Hope this help.

I had this problem before It was my battery

sounds like your starter to me. Your solenoid is going bad so sometimes it will start and sometimes it wont, when it doesnt start, Try hitting the starter with a hammer

Cars
    2003 Evo 8 GSR and 2015 Subaru Forester 2008 Lancer
    Quote Originally Posted by 4G63_EVO View Post
    sounds like your starter to me. Your solenoid is going bad so sometimes it will start and sometimes it wont, when it doesnt start, Try hitting the starter with a hammer
    +10000 on these it works!

Cars
    03 TB VIII
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys! Thankfully it was just the battery. So, my next dilemma lol ... I have ayellow top with good life powering the system/sub in the trunk. I want to disconnect & remove it from the trunk then put it up front replacing the dead battery. However, I don't think I can because the posts on the yellow top aren't in the same easily accessible place so the terminal cables won't reach to connect

Any suggestions, other than wasting a perfectly good battery?