Thread: FUBAR! :(

FUBAR! :(

Car has no power and wont stay on. Runs smooth past 2k rpm, but low on power. with my foot off the gas it dies. Cat is red hot and started to smoke. checked the coil packs and they dont look melted, thats what I found online in my search to fix this. Next step tomorrow is going to try and remove the cat and run straight off the downpipe.

Before problem started: ran great, no issues at all. 105 degrees out, went to work at 9am with no problems. Went to lunch at 1 and came back at 2 no problems. Got off work at 5 and went to start and this shit happened.

Tried to disconnect the battery for 1min, made it go from bad idle to no idle, just stalls. Looked at the 2 coil packs and they both look ok, no signs of melting. Problem started when I was at low fuel, went to get a full tank and still had the problem. New 255 fuel pump was installed 3k miles ago. Cat is red hot after 3 miles of driving and also started smoking. Most likely cat is gone, was planning to run a test pipe anyways so meh

anyone has other suggestions?
    IMG_20130901_175836_677-1833173239.jpg

SoCalEvo.net Shop

That would be a dead cat. When you take it off you will see it all crumbled and busted and melted inside. Use a pipe or jack handle to bust it out the rest of the way. Instant test pipe. It will get you by until you decide what you want to do for a more permanent solution.

Mike W

I was actually planning to get a test pipe, is a gutted cat just as good? everything else is 3" not sure what a gutted cat would be.

For sure though it is a failed cat that is causing all my problems?

^^it could be a possibility. with the rear o2 sensor picking up massive amounts of heat, the ECU could have put your car in limp mode. I could be wrong here but it sounds reasonable.
    "No mission too difficult, No sacrifice too great"

SoCalEvo.net Shop

The rear O2 sensor does not report heat to the ECU. There is no limp mode to be had for this. The rear O2 sensor only checks to see if the cat is working or not. If not, then little yellow light in the dash comes on. Nothing more, nothing less.

If the cat core is all melted and sideways blocking everything, then there is no airflow so stuff don't happen like it should. That is the cause of your limpness. That and everything in the center console is about to melt.

There is a chance that you had some horrible miss fire or dead ignition or super duper rich condition that caused a boatload of extra fuel to end up in the cat, burn crazy hot and destroy the core. But you would have noticed other stuff running poorly first (black smoke, low on power). Or the cat just died from natural causes. Your path to finding out which is the case starts with getting some exhaust flow back and someone smart checking things out. So still the first step is putting a stock cat on, gutting your dead cat out, or buying and installing a test pipe.

A test pipe would typically have a straight 3" pipe (unless some ghey JDM Ti piece, then it will be small at each end like stock). Your gutted cat would be stock diameter at the flanges so it would not flow the same a a test pipe. But it may not matter with a stock turbo. You should get a tune or retune if you go catless.

Mike W

I ended up fixing the problem. I tried a test pipe and it didn't help. I bought some used coil packs off a member and put them in and then it has been working good since.

Thanks for up date
    = for all your needs call Alfred@TTech -909-783-1200

Hot tamale! Glad you figured it out