Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Protune... RRE or COBB?

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2008 evo x mr (sold), 2008 octane blue evo GSR

First Protune... RRE or COBB?

Ive read manyyyy threads about this but i really can't make up my mind.
    Ive ran an AP for about 2 months now and I'm finally ready for a protune. I'm really into RRE because you can obviously tell they're about getting you the most while keeping it safe & reliable. The only thing is, Is that i also really like the Ap as well for monitoring and being able to uninstall and call it a day if i ever wanted to. (Also being able to pull/clear SES lights.) I've noticed Cobb has had really nice numbers this year on all the tunes they have done. So basically I'd like some input on who you guys think would be best and why..?? Thanks!

Cars
    Dodrio
    If you already have a AP, just go Cobb.Otherwise, ditch the AP and go RRE. There are numerous of EVOs out there tuned by both, you can't really go wrong with either.

Waka waka - I'm a slowpoke
    Doc Mosh #1 fan boy

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9
    Should've just saved ur money and went to RRE in the first place instead of wasting ur money on a AP.
    Pictures on all for sale/for trade threads is being enforced!

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 evo x
    The AP is still useful. Being able to monitor boost and other things makes it worth keeping. Cobb or RRE will take care of you so there is no wrong choices

Cars
    11' ww evo x gsr
    maybe a stupid question but cant rre tune the car and load the map onto the ap? fill me in please i just bought a ap as well

Cars
    2016 BMW M4 ZCP
    ^they can. but to save money just sell your AP and have then tune your car. saves you a couple hundred bucks.
    What is power without control?

Cars
    11' ww evo x gsr
    yea but if you want to run dual maps for e85 eventually it would be worth it to switch maps from your ap

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9
    U Could run dual maps without AP^^ just so u know.

Junior Moderator

Cars
    Evo 8/9
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_evo View Post
    The AP is still useful. Being able to monitor boost and other things makes it worth keeping. Cobb or RRE will take care of you so there is no wrong choices

U could monitor ecu boost without it. Boost gauge or laptop.

Cars
    2016 BMW M4 ZCP
    Quote Originally Posted by yz250mx2003 View Post
    yea but if you want to run dual maps for e85 eventually it would be worth it to switch maps from your ap
    you could run dual maps without an AP and with just a push of a button.
    What is power without control?

Cars
    Dodrio
    Only plus with AP, is that you can technically have 8 maps which you can switch on the fly...

Waka waka - I'm a slowpoke
    Doc Mosh #1 fan boy

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Read the latest D Sport for a nice dyno comparison article. Kind of cool. Cobb's Mustang currently reads higher than a Dynojet. Cobb's tuners are top notch.

Without the AP a $200 cable and any $100 laptop made in the last 15 years will allow you to monitor stuff and flash back to stock without a trace. $300 vs $600+ if you need to do that.

You can currently switch maps willy nilly on the fly between two maps with 2008-2014 GSRs and 2008-2010 MRs on the non-Cobb option. There is no charge to flash a car back to stock or reload a tune with us.

First column is DSPORT's AWD Dynojet. Then the RRE Dynapack, Then Cobb's Mustang:

Mike W

Cars
    8 MR, 10 GSR, EG6, CRV
    ^ That was a interesting issue they released, and I'm glad Dsport took the time to make that guide. Nobody else has come close to any guide like this. Props to the guys at Dsport. I wish it was possible to add a few more dyno manufacturers like a Dyno Dynamics, Maha, Land and Sea, etc. I've never even seen a Rototest dyno....LOL.

Also worth noting, Dsport's Dynojet is the new badass Eddy-current load bearing version AWD dyno, which I would love to see compared to a standard old school 248 Dynojet's.
    *KTMotoring Tuned*

SoCalEvo.net Shop

The eddy current loader Dynojets are the same, they just add on the load cells as an option. The have been out since 2006 at least. That was when I first used one

Mike W

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Ended up going with RRE.. Pretty anxious now!

I just went jb4 for the bms flash... so many customization and you are not locked into a tune...

Not So Newbie
    I had RRE tune and build. Mike W. and the crew know whats up. You can't hold a convo with the AP... RRE guys will sit down with you and shoot the shit for a few, let you know whats up with the car, how the tunes going etc. I got to drive around a bit with Mike after i had a lot of stuff dropped in and tuned. He was asking me how i liked the gear changes and throttle response etc. For me thats where its at. The personal touch, awe yea.

Not So Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by rnc_evox View Post
    Grats man! RRE is the shit! hope youre tearin it up!

Quote Originally Posted by rnc_evox View Post
    Hello! Any update
    = for all your needs call Alfred@TTech -909-783-1200

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Evo Beauty View Post
    Hello! Any update
    Pretty random but 4 days before my tune at RRE, I met some of my neighbors that have all 4 of their evos tuned by Tuning Tech. Long Story short they got me a deal at Tuning Tech and convinced me to with them. In no way am I knocking Tuning Tech, but I still feel I should have went with my gut feeling which was Road Race. Tuning Tech is awesome and the car feels pretty d*mn good but I just feel RRE could have gotten more out of my car by looking at everyone elses numbers on the forums.

On the plus side, my gas mileage didn't drop nearly as bad as I thought it was going to on e85! I legitimately think im getting about the same as I was on 91 before the tune, which is pretty sad to say lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast