Thread: Possible boosting issues?

Possible boosting issues?

Hello everyone, I have an evox with a built motor, 255 walbro fuel pump, 1100 FICs and a dom 2.0 turbo running on e85. Recently I began to have a very abrupt problem. As soon as I begin to boost (nearly 2-5 lbs) my car begins to sputter and back fire without being able to boost on it further with the fear of doing serious damage. No codes are being thrown when this happens. Other then that the car idles and runs fine, just as long as I don't put the car under a load. I've gone though the basics, checking my coils, replacing my plugs and of course ruling out any vacuum leaks. Please any advice would be great. Thank you

-Alex
    Dropped the sub frame on my driveway, built the motor in the garage

ktm tuned

RRE tuned talk to MIKE
    = for all your needs call Alfred@TTech -909-783-1200

Cars
    Dodrio
    Sounds like 2 things, fuel pump issue or spark plugs gap.

Waka waka - I'm a slowpoke
    Doc Mosh #1 fan boy

SoCalEvo.net Shop

If the plugs are indeed gapped good and you have a strong spark, then I vote yes on the lack of fuel. Which is super dangerous. Get it checked out and stay out of boost until then.

Mike W

Thank you mike for responding... I was wondering what size gap should it be at? Also are there special plugs that I should make the change to now that I'm on e85? Thanks for the advice much appreciated

-Alex

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Stock plugs are fine. You should be at .020" or so. It would take double that gap to cause the symptoms you describe though. How is your fuel pump relay working? SES/Check Engine Light codes are only for smog stuff. Not for real problems.

Mike W

Cars
    WW Evo X
    Have you switched maps recently?
    Tuned by KTMotoring-Dr. Phil..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    Stock plugs are fine. You should be at .020" or so. It would take double that gap to cause the symptoms you describe though. How is your fuel pump relay working? SES/Check Engine Light codes are only for smog stuff. Not for real problems.

Mike W
    Quote Originally Posted by arimbach5 View Post
    Hello everyone, I have an evox with a built motor, 255 walbro fuel pump, 1100 FICs and a dom 2.0 turbo running on e85. Recently I began to have a very abrupt problem. As soon as I begin to boost (nearly 2-5 lbs) my car begins to sputter and back fire without being able to boost on it further with the fear of doing serious damage. No codes are being thrown when this happens. Other then that the car idles and runs fine, just as long as I don't put the car under a load. I've gone though the basics, checking my coils, replacing my plugs and of course ruling out any vacuum leaks. Please any advice would be great. Thank you

-Alex
    Make sure you on the right map
    = for all your needs call Alfred@TTech -909-783-1200

Cars
    Ebo IX
    make sure your plugs arent cracked. had exact symptoms before with BRAND NEW ngk iridiums that cracked (3 out of 4) during tuning it felt like a dying subaru

So, I checked the gap on all the plugs and they where all fine .020-.018 swapped fuel relays and still having the same problem, except it's getting worse, it's now to the point where the car is un-drivable now... I'm guessing that i should now start by checking my whole fuel system and see where the problem remains?

thanks for he help guys

-alex

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Yes, fuel pressure next.

Mike W

Sorry for the late post. The good news to start. Checked my fuel pressure and to no ones surprise it was down. Went into the fuel pump to get ready to replace it, and discovered that the line that connects the fuel pump to the fuel line had a slit in it.. Fast fix, and the car seemed to be running fine. Starts up better then before. Now for the bad news, as soon as I start to get to high boost 20+ psi of boost the car seems to be struggling again to get fuel again, (bogging out a little and knocking sensor flashes). Should I still consider the pump to be going bad? And another question, is there a fuel filter (one I did could locate) that I could possible check for blockage?