Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartune Independent Service:Tune?

Cartune Independent Service:Tune?

So I am trying to find a place near by to get a tune in San Diego. A lot of people are sugguesting that I drive up north to 5150 but I wanted to check what is near first. I found Car tune auto repair next to pann auto and talked to the shop manager. But I was seeing if anyonehas any experience with their tunes.

Thanks,
    Crazyhapa

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 evo x
    Just make the drive. I don't even trust anybody in San Diego anymore

Experienced
    Cars
    8/MRS
    I would avoid. Trying to stay in SD for a tune could cost your motor, it's not worth it. Just go with someone tried and trusted. You won't kick yourself later for it if something bad happens.

Nothing against cartune but just listen to this people that recommend rre or 5150racing.
    Installed: eibach pro-kit : HID kit

Team Knee Pads Baller Member evoempire's Avatar
    If you are looking for a dyno tune then RRE or Tuningtech are your options. I am not familiar with 5150. I do know car tune usually does Hondas. I know they have done evos before but I haven't heard any reviews.

SoCalEvo.net Shop

5150 is Jon Drenas (Jesus John or Bakaunchi) formerly of Cobb So Cal formerly HB Speed.

Mike W

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    5150 is Jon Drenas (Jesus John or Bakaunchi) formerly of Cobb So Cal formerly HB Speed.

Mike W
    Mike I would like to thank you for this information. Apparently this is the same guy.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/o...e-who-s-f.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2263474

Sounds like they just rebranded to Cobb socal. This doesn't sound too good... From what I have gathered so far just with the 30min of searching I did, I would stay far clear from HB speed/cobb socal/5150. Just my opinion take it with a grain of whatever your favorite spice is...

Not saying they have never produced good results. I would just be careful in the decision making process...
    Last edited by evoempire; 01-25-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 evo x
    Quote Originally Posted by evoempire View Post
    Mike I would like to thank you for this information. Apparently this is the same guy.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/o...e-who-s-f.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2263474

Sounds like they just rebranded to Cobb socal. This doesn't sound too good... From what I have gathered so far just with the 30min of searching I did, I would stay far clear from HB speed/cobb socal/5150. Just my opinion take it with a grain of whatever your favorite spice is...

Not saying they have never produced good results. I would just be careful in the decision making process...
    LOL seriously? Jon is one of the best tuners for the X.

Quote Originally Posted by sd_evo View Post
    LOL seriously? Jon is one of the best tuners for the X.
    Did you read any of the links and feedback? I do not know him or have ever been tuned their personally. However, when you see this stuff it makes you question some things. At least for me it does. I am very particular who I take my car too. And when I hear these things it makes me doubtful. When you have unhappy customers over blown engines and then complain with the way they were treated that doesn't sit well with me. Maybe perhaps you turn a blind eye to it. That is up to you.

Also why did HB speed go under? Then nearby another shop is opened under a new name with same staff? And now we have yet another shop. Why is there 3 shops with same people in the span of 5-6yrs? If you have the answer please let us all know. I mean I like to give the benefit of the doubt. There may be a reasonable explanation for it all but if there was why wasn't it explained in the previous threads?

However, since I am very particular, I personally like to go to a place that has a more proven track record. And that will stick around for awhile.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    2014 evo x
    Did you read any of the links and feedback? I do not know him or have ever been tuned their personally. However, when you see this stuff it makes you question some things. At least for me it does. I am very particular who I take my car too. And when I hear these things it makes me doubtful. When you have unhappy customers over blown engines and then complain with the way they were treated that doesn't sit well with me. Maybe perhaps you turn a blind eye to it. That is up to you.

Also why did HB speed go under? Then nearby another shop is opened under a new name with same staff? And now we have yet another shop. Why is there 3 shops with same people in the span of 5-6yrs? If you have the answer please let us all know. I mean I like to give the benefit of the doubt. There may be a reasonable explanation for it all but if there was why wasn't it explained in the previous threads?

However, since I am very particular, I personally like to go to a place that has a more proven track record. And that will stick around for awhile.
    Jeez, no wonder Jon doesn't go on these forums. Anyway, you should research more about that guys blown motor. And HB Speed was bought out by Cobb and turned into Cobb Socal. Jon "supposedly" left for unknown reasons and started his own shop which is 5150 racing.

Quote Originally Posted by sd_evo View Post
    Jeez, no wonder Jon doesn't go on these forums. Anyway, you should research more about that guys blown motor. And HB Speed was bought out by Cobb and turned into Cobb Socal. Jon "supposedly" left for unknown reasons and started his own shop which is 5150 racing.
    Understandable. However, there are well known and respected tuners here. Why can't he do the same? I am sure if he got out there and put his name out and contributed to the community I am sure all of this would eventually clear up. What do you think? I think he should get on the forums and offer his services and expertise... It would be a good way to help the SD community as well.

Why have the debate, just go to RRE and save yourself the worry

I personally think it is worth debating to find out the truth and to see if he is a viable option for the SD folks. I know if it were me I would chose RRE no questions asked even if they do charge more and they are in LA. But like I said I am more interested in quality and customer service rather than price. Also RRE has a very good track record with this community and a long one to boot.

However, for those who are interested in saving a trip and saving some money that need a option nearby then if 5150 is a good shop then it is worth showing to the community it is. I can only go off of what I have seen publicly on the forums and from what I have seen it isn't very good at all. Perhaps eventually his customers will get the word out that it is a legit place to go too.

I wouldn't want to be a tester with my vehicle. Thus I did choose the long drive to RRE in LA from south San Diego. I am not going to say RRE is all roses and I have my own complaints (very minor) but Mike as been upfront and honest with ever contact. I will be going back soon for more upgrades and tuning.

Cars
    '11 WW X GSR, '06 GG IX MR, '14 PB X GSR
    Save the headache, go to RRE. It's worth the drive.

"Kneel before my minions, as they kneel before me."
    Instagram: EvoSev

As I said before, I can only go off from what I saw. So no joke intended. I also do not have a evox which is why I am not on evoxforums. So you will have to excuse me for not seeing anything from there. I am also a very fair person. Which is why I said that if you are a viable option then I think it would be a good idea for you to be on here as well to maybe set the record straight. Especially seeing that since you tune evos and you are located in socal it makes sense to be in here. I dunno maybe that is a crazy idea.

I am glad the word got out and you made it over here to explain your side of the story. Remember, first impressions are everything. And the first impression I got was not very good, so you may want to make sure that the right info gets across to people. I apologize if my post seemed 1 sided, but put yourself in my shoes as a customer. I do a little searching and all I found was engine failure thread after the next and how you reportedly had bad customer service. So do not think for 1 sec I just came on here to try and smear your reputation.

I want to thank you for taking the time to explain the situation so that the rest of the community knows. Maybe you can become a vender here as well? Is that something that you would consider?

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    this thread reminds me, I still have to take my car to you Baka. I just havent had the time to do so because of work.

Sportback Evolution MR

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    yeah I know. I havent even made the irvine meets since september. then my uncle died soon thereafter so i was pretty much unavailable.

if anything Im 220 miles from breaking in the MR. LOL

Sportback Evolution MR

Quote Originally Posted by BakaUnchi View Post
    Ive been a vendor here before, and the level of shit talking was insane. People who had never been to us always had 1000 stories about shit that never happened.
    Every shop's fanboys would come in and bash us. and SCE allowed it. Even knowing some moderators and tuning their cars, tuning SCM's race cars, running my own car in Redline time attack for 3 years on a stock motor over 550-600whp (and getting 3rd overall in street awd) they still talked shit. 90%of that was from people who had never stepped foot through our door. I would love to be on SoCal Evo but based upon the experience of 3 years of constant hate, im sure you can see why im a bit gunshy.
    Jon, I can totally understand where you are coming from. Which is why I respect your position either way. Just thought that perhaps most of the people back then may have moved on that you may reconsider? I know macky is trying to put together another impromptu SCE meet maybe you could make it out? I know you are probably busy though. At any rate, looking forward to hearing more from you and possibly meeting you in the future whenever I return from overseas. See, I am a pretty chill guy! Even Macky loves me hehe :)

Administrator

Cars
    Sportback Evolution
    Jon, I can totally understand where you are coming from. Which is why I respect your position either way. Just thought that perhaps most of the people back then may have moved on that you may reconsider? I know macky is trying to put together another impromptu SCE meet maybe you could make it out? I know you are probably busy though. At any rate, looking forward to hearing more from you and possibly meeting you in the future whenever I return from overseas. See, I am a pretty chill guy! Even Macky loves me hehe :)
    lol no homo hahaha

Sportback Evolution MR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast