Thread: Severe metal rubbing noise from rear driver brake

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evolution X

Severe metal rubbing noise from rear driver brake

About one week ago I took the RPF1s of the car to sell them. The car sat in the air for about 5 days while I got my stock wheels powder coated and new tires put on. Once the new wheels were on I went for a test drive and the rear driver side brake was making a loud metal rubbing noise.

Today I put the car up on the lift and removed the wheel and tested for the noise. The noise continued so I ruled out wheel rub. I then removed the caliber and rotor, Tested it and the noise stopped. I cleaned everything put it back together to test it and the noise came back.

Im not sure if leaving the car in the air for 5 days caused this or if somehow the rotor warped or what's going on so I need some suggestions from you guys to get this fixed

SoCalEvo.net Shop

Most likely the backing plate for the brake disc is rubbing on the rotor. You can bend it into the brake rotor by pulling on it unintentionally. It makes an awful racket but does not cause much damage if any. You can almost fix it usually by just pushing it away from the back of the rotor with a long screw driver (pushing through the wheel spokes). Or just take the wheel off again and look and see if it is touching the back of the rotor. You can just push it away with your hand.

Mike W

maybe the ebrake cable is doing something on the caliper.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evolution X
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    Most likely the backing plate for the brake disc is rubbing on the rotor. You can bend it into the brake rotor by pulling on it unintentionally. It makes an awful racket but does not cause much damage if any. You can almost fix it usually by just pushing it away from the back of the rotor with a long screw driver (pushing through the wheel spokes). Or just take the wheel off again and look and see if it is touching the back of the rotor. You can just push it away with your hand.

Mike W

Would there be any visible signs on the rotor of the backing plate rubbing? I checked the rotor pretty well

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evolution X
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Daman View Post
    maybe the ebrake cable is doing something on the caliper.
    How do I check this? I adjusted the ebrake all the way in to make sure it was pressing against the drum of the rotor but this didn't stope the noise

SoCalEvo.net Shop

I stand by my original diagnosis. A smooth painted piece of metal rubbing just a little bit wont make enough of a mark to see. It takes less time to push the backing plate back than it takes to post about it on SCE :-)

Mike W

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evolution X
    I stand by my original diagnosis. A smooth painted piece of metal rubbing just a little bit wont make enough of a mark to see. It takes less time to push the backing plate back than it takes to post about it on SCE :-)

Mike W

Bent the backing plate back all the way around and tested for noise. It still there. Any other suggestions?

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evolution X

Mike W

The he only thing I can spot is that the caliper mounting bolts seem to be a tad long. The rotor has clearance all the way around except for the caliper bolts. I used the washers but they still come close to the rotor

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evolution X
    Also it worse when the car turns left. So under heavier loads

Ill pm by tomorrow i have the answer in my inbox from a vendor.

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evolution X
    Quote Originally Posted by socaloc1 View Post
    Ill pm by tomorrow i have the answer in my inbox from a vendor.
    I never got the PM. What's your suggestion?

Depends. If the rubbing is a constant, I'd put my money on something like a bent back-plate or dust shield. If it sounds more like on-off-on-off repeatedly, maybe a slightly warped rotor.

^^^^^^ No manches way
    = for all your needs call Alfred@TTech -909-783-1200

Not So Newbie
    Cars
    Evolution X
    Just noticed I never posted my solution. Took suspension out and reinstalled on that side as well as most the brake assembly. Cleaned everything really well and reinstalled. Check all the dust plates, plastic guards etc and the noise did not return.

Never actually saw anything out of place though